Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking for a group in Massachusetts, USA
Hello,

I am looking to get involved with a re-enactment group in my area and I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction.

Thank you in advance,

- Norm
Depends on where in Massachusetts you are and how far you can travel really. New England apparently has several....III Cyrenaica is one, a Cohors Nabatea (I think) is another. Oddly, they don't appear to have websites, at least not as of yet. I don't recall seeing them listed on other sites either, but that may be due to no website for them.

You can go to Nova Britannia http://www.novabritannia.org/ and it has some re-enactor contacts for this area. They can direct you to other groups too. As I understand it, there are three legios and two cohorts in this region.

I myself am in Western Mass and have just begun forming Legio II Adiutrix Pia Fidelis.

Rutilia
If you have peace in your land,
You will have health in your hand.

mka Siani Overstreet
Like Rutilia said, it may matter where you live in Massachusetts. Legio III Cyrenaica is probably the most active legion, and we have auxiliaries (Menapians) attached to us. The primary focus is the Flavian era, though I for one am a bit of a maverick, doing primarily Augustan/Claudian, but that works for a legion such as ours which existed for a long period of time (very long). Our military members are on Cape Cod, around the Worcester/Webster, MA area, also in Connecticut, in Eastern NY(Poughkeepsie area) and Maine. We also have civilians with us, wives, girlfriends, merchants, craftspeople., etc. So there is plenty of room for a non-military role with Legio III Cyrenaica.
Our next Official gathering/event to do anything will be the Columbus Day parade in Worcester, MA on Sunday October 9.
There is also a Legio III Italica in Connecticut, based in the Stamford area, recreating the era of Marcus Aurelius, late 2nd century AD.
There may be a Legio III Augusta in the Pioneer Valley in MA, but I'm not sure how active it really is.
So, depending on what your interests are, and how far you are willing to travel... NO websites, yet (are still under development). You could always contact me privately.

Marcus Quintius Clavus/Quinton
Quinton Johansen
Marcus Quintius Clavus, Optio Secundae Pili Prioris Legionis III Cyrenaicae
I'm from Belchertown, but I'm going to be in Italy for the indefinite future, so I won't be of much help...
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan
Quote:There may be a Legio III Augusta in the Pioneer Valley in MA, but I'm not sure how active it really is.

I live in the Pioneer Valley. If there's a legion here I've never heard of or seen it. Perhaps they only go to Roman type events? Or mayhap don't do things here in the Valley. Or I'm an oblivious woman. Any or all may apply. Smile

Interesting. I'll have to inquire around, though I'm still forming II Adiutrix perhaps some shared info is possible. We've three of us former Marine sorts and a few others interested. So far, all of those expressing interest are former Marines. Wink A Marine thing.

Danno, are you with III Augusta? Enjoy Italy! I did. We rode bikes from Naples up the coast highway to Rome. Spent several days doing nothing but touring the ruins. That was....'78, '79? Something like that. Wish I could get back again. Safe journey.

Rutilia
If you have peace in your land,
You will have health in your hand.

mka Siani Overstreet
Legio III Cyrenaica - www.legioiiicyrenaica.org

Leg. III Italica Concors - www.legioiiiitalica.org

Don't know what ever happened to III Augusta.

We're around. Roman stuff in general is not nearly as well known as say American Civil War or Rev War. But we have some cross-overs as well, it's all good!
Andy Volpe
"Build a time machine, it would make this [hobby] a lot easier."
https://www.facebook.com/LegionIIICyr/
Legion III Cyrenaica ~ New England U.S.
Higgins Armory Museum 1931-2013 (worked there 2001-2013)
(Collection moved to Worcester Art Museum)