Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
For the cineasts - a short scene in MGM\'s Ben Hur
Avete omnes,

I think like many others of You, I also collect movies mentioning the ancient Romans. And so I often saw MGM's movie from 1956 "Ben Hur" with Charlton Heston starring in the title role (BTW, the film music is a must for every Rome-aficionado).

There was one little scene that always impressed me because of the artistic achievement of the actor that was totally unknown for me. It was the performance of the speechless Roman officer facing Jesus Christ in order to prevent him from pouring Judah with water.

By coincidence I found a link with some beautiful pictures that dissolves the background of the scene. I know, the equipment of the so called Decurion is not correct historically, but I wanted to share it with those of You who like the film:

[url:zdkhdyrn]http://www.lonestarfilmsociety.com/LonestarBitOf.html[/url]

Greets - Uwe
Greets - Uwe
Hi Uwe,

Remington Olmstead's other credits, aside from those on the page above, can be found here:
[url:23lwh0fx]http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0647474/[/url]

Cheers.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Ave Uwe,

Quote:There was one little scene that always impressed me because of the artistic achievement of the actor that was totally unknown for me. It was the performance of the speechless Roman officer facing Jesus Christ in order to prevent him from pouring Judah with water.

I too thought Olmstead did a fantastic job for his "bit" role. In fact, I thought all the "extras" did as well. That's pretty rare in an epic where you have enthusiastic "extras". "Gladiator" comes to mind - they were great :!:

I saw "Barabbas" once but I don't recall seeing Olmstead. I'll have to look more closely next time.

Quote:I know, the equipment of the so called Decurion is not correct historically

I'll take it, I think it's gorgeous Big Grin wink:

[Image: marvin.gif]

Thanks for posting the link Smile
Jaime
Theo I have Barabbas in DVD, what do you need to see?, I can post some image of the movie if you want :wink:

Remarks by Philip on the Athenian Leaders:
Philip said that the Athenians were like the bust of Hermes: all mouth and dick. 
Hi Comerus,

I was just looking for the actor Remington Olmstead. I don't know what role he plays in the film.

Thanks Smile
Jaime
Ok I think he is this one who was in charge of Barabbas in the cave prision in Serdenia

[Image: cap001.jpg]

Remarks by Philip on the Athenian Leaders:
Philip said that the Athenians were like the bust of Hermes: all mouth and dick. 
Quote:Ok I think he is this one who was in charge of Barabbas in the cave prision in Serdenia

Looks like him. So he's playing another Roman 8)

Thank you, Comerus.
Jaime
I also liked this "drummer" inside the ship, who later played Captain Baines in my favorite TV-series "Onedin Line".
--- Marcus F. ---
Quote:I'm working on my kit for a Tribune impression

Hi Theo,

are You trying to make a lorica musculata for Yourself? If so, I would highly recommend to take a look into Travis Clark's splendid side:

[url:2jlg6a22]http://astro.temple.edu/%7Etlclark/lorica/index.htm[/url]

I myself have just received a shipping from USA containing a musculata for a low price that is not quite correct but I will try to work on it, and I think it is reparable.

Greets - Uwe
Greets - Uwe
Quote:I also liked this "drummer" inside the ship, who later played Captain Baines in my favorite TV-series "Onedin Line"

Ahum! If we're going to discuss the naval scenes in Ben Hur with even an impression of authenticity, I'm afraid I'll have to close this thread down! :wink:
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Quote:There was one little scene that always impressed me because of the artistic achievement of the actor that was totally unknown for me. It was the performance of the speechless Roman officer facing Jesus Christ in order to prevent him from pouring Judah with water.
I noticed that [rower 42] was played by none other than: John GLENN..
Could it have been THE John Glenn?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:Ahum! If we're going to discuss the naval scenes in Ben Hur with even an impression of authenticity, I'm afraid I'll have to close this thread down! Wink
You mean they didn't increase the tempo of the drum to "Ramming speed!!" ? :?
Quote:I noticed that [rower 42] was played by none other than: John GLENN..
Could it have been THE John Glenn?
Nope. Glenn Hur, row 4, number 2:
[Image: glenn_hur.jpg]

Cheers.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Quote:Ahum! If we're going to discuss the naval scenes in Ben Hur with even an impression of authenticity, I'm afraid I'll have to close this thread down! :wink:
I have to admit that I'm a bit disappointed that the real ships didn't have these cool sounds (including the whipping :wink:
--- Marcus F. ---