Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Czech republic
Arrow If you know something about it, write it.
Hi Jirka,
welcome to RAT. I'm from Czech Republic, so I have some information... Smile
I just don't understand this topic. Do you think it belongs here? I think some discussion about Roman military (or ancient military in general) would be much more appropriate here.
Greetings
Alexandr
Arrow Isn't it an "off-topic"? [I am sorry if I do some mistakes in English, I'm just 14years old]
Well yes. No problem here. I just alway thought that the primary purpose for registrating on Roman Army Talk is to discuss Roman army. But no offence. It was just a note so don't bother about it. Actually I'm very glad to see a countryman here. Enjoy.
Alexandr
Off Topic is for OT subjects, so it's fine here, just as long as it doesn't turn into politics or something.
Now we're on the Czech Republic: how about you tell us something about what there's to see of the Roman period in the (limes-)area?
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Anythong from Late Roman times?
I know of a plumbata from Iža-Leányvár, but that's from Slovakia, not the Czech Republic...
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:Off Topic is for OT subjects, so it's fine here, just as long as it doesn't turn into politics or something.
Now we're on the Czech Republic: how about you tell us something about what there's to see of the Roman period in the (limes-)area?

Arrow I agree-no politics.
And about Romans in Cze.-Archeologists found some excavations near Brno(-south Moravia). They think that found excavations are from times of Roman campaign against Germania. They also found petrograph on Trenčín´s rock(Trenčín is in Slovakia). Petrograph was written by Marcus Aurelius.
Hi,
at first I must admit that Off-Topic really is for this kind of discussion. My reaction wasn't very kind (perhaps because I'm not a great fan of "Off-Topic" sections on forums) and I must apologise for it.

Romans in CZ? Yes, we are near the limes area, unfortunately not near enough. Apart from some marching camps the only notable Roman find in Czech Republic is in fact the Roman fortress near the former village Mušov (cca 80 km north from Vienna). Its from the time of Marcomannic wars. A detachment of the legio X gemina pia fidelis stayed there. A lot of military stuff has been found there. Even some very interesting peaces - part of a silver lorica squamata for example. No late Roman finds and no plumbatae, Robert :-) ) The excavations are still in progress (but very slow progress).
In a camping ground for tourists near the archaeological site there is a small museum... very, very small museum - just one small room with diorama and a few finds.
For those more interested I could perhaps put together some literature. I hope some day things will get better with the excavations.
Greetings
Alexandr
The thing I know is: (Sorry for the spelling) DE GDOMOV MUY, DE GDOMOV MUY! ODE UCZI POLICZIINA, SASTA METZA POLISKALINA, SAMIEKHBI, SEMS KIARATBIEJ, SEMS KIRAJ, TONAPOKH LE, ATOJE, TA KRASHNA SEMJE... SEMJE CZESKA, GDOMOV MUY... SEMJE CZESKA, GDOMOV MUY!

I just can sing it, not write it!

I also know something about Jan Hus, Jan Zizka (one eyed), and their Hussites, Taborites and Orebites.
Gregr Mendl from Brno and the birth of the genetic science!
Later, Franz Kafka and his castle.
Jan Palatz and the Praha Spring revolution.
Wakhlav Havel and the Velvet revolution and finally the 2/3 separation from Slovakia.
[Image: 120px-Septimani_seniores_shield_pattern.svg.png] [Image: Estalada.gif]
Ivan Perelló
[size=150:iu1l6t4o]Credo in Spatham, Corvus sum bellorum[/size]
The first thing that comes to my mind is that I've seen very few European cities more beautiful than Prague is! Big Grin

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Hi,
Confusedhock: Faventianus, I'm really impressed by your knowledge of our small country. Have you ever been to Czech Republic or it's just your hobby to learn national anthems and histories of foreign countries? Big Grin
Greetings
Alexandr
Quote:The thing I know is: (Sorry for the spelling) DE GDOMOV MUY, DE GDOMOV MUY! ODE UCZI POLICZIINA, SASTA METZA POLISKALINA, SAMIEKHBI, SEMS KIARATBIEJ, SEMS KIRAJ, TONAPOKH LE, ATOJE, TA KRASHNA SEMJE... SEMJE CZESKA, GDOMOV MUY... SEMJE CZESKA, GDOMOV MUY!

I just can sing it, not write it!

I also know something about Jan Hus, Jan Zizka (one eyed), and their Hussites, Taborites and Orebites.
Gregr Mendl from Brno and the birth of the genetic science!
Later, Franz Kafka and his castle.
Jan Palatz and the Praha Spring revolution.
Wakhlav Hawel and the Velvet revolution and finally the 2/3 separation from Slovakia.

Arrow It is amazing. I am very sorry but I don´t so many informations about Spain. I know just your football clubs and players, stayers (-1500m), about your history(colonies in America) and so on. Your knowlewdges are really impressive
Well, I've never been in Czechia yet... How I know the anthem is a quite freaky story: my mum learnt it in a Czech school in Mexico called President Masaryk, she was a Catalan refugee from the civil war. I also know the Slovakian part of the anthem.

My country is Catalonia, a small nation in the north-east of Spain and the south east of France, so, we the Catalans have always been between the two big guys: the French and the Spaniards...

Our national day is the 11th september, when we "celebrate" our worst defeat in 1714 from the Spaniards (Castillan, in fact) and French armies. It was not really a war of independence but a choice between an absolutist Spanish-Bourbon monarchy and another Spanish-Habsburg more federalist that would have allowed us to keep being quite independent in fact...
Ivan Perelló
Quote:Our national day is the 11th september, when we "celebrate" our worst defeat in 1714 from the Spaniards (Castillan, in fact) and French armies. It was not really a war of independence but a choice between an absolutist Spanish-Bourbon monarchy and another Spanish-Habsburg more federalist that would have allowed us to keep being quite independent in fact...
Wow, so you had your 9/11 for about 300 years...
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Yes, and is also the day that Dictator Pinochet took power in Chile in 1973.
So september the 11th is even worst than friday the 13th!
Ivan Perelló