• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New CLASSIS-soldier (!!) tombstone discovered in Italy
It seems a very cool news:
http://www.romanhideout.com/news/2005/20050921.asp
Luca Bonacina
Provincia Cisalpina - Mediolanum
www.cisalpina.net
Ave Luca,

That is cool news indeed! It is very rare to find tombstones in that state of preservation. Smile
aka: Julio Peña
Quote:"audaces Fortuna iuvat"
- shouted by Turnus in Virgil\'s Aeneid in book X just before he is utterly destroyed by Aeneas\' Trojans.
It is marvellous news! Luca, do you think the text can be found? Might be interesting info for my thesis.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
So, the equipment carried on board ship (according to this astonishingly well preserved sculpture) of an optio on a liburna would be:-
-Double weighted pilum
-Armour? The text says a muscle cuirass with "squamae" (scales?) on the shoulders, although it could be simply a tunic with shoulder protection. If the text is right, this is the first sculpture AFAIK to have a separate style of shoulder protection apart from the cavalry sculture showing possible muscle cuirass and segmentata shoulder protection. (As worn by Russell Crowe :? )
-The object on his left side is unclear- a helmet? A canteen? It is possible to make out what appears to be the pommel of a sword or dagger- and I would argue that this shows a gladius worn on a baldric on the left hand side, with the pugio on his right, suspended as usual from the miltary belt. Another object (unclear) rests on top of the gladius.
- The pugio is more of a short sword (useful for shipboard fights)
-Pteruges
-Usual military belt
- No helmet (but see above)
-Caligae (presumably unstudded for use on board ship)

The reported text is also interesting " the incomplete inscription, in addition to the image of the soldier, reports the soldier's name "MON(?)US (?) CAPITO" and his career status of an Optio, that was in service on a liburna, a small ship used for recognitions and to fight pirates, called AURATA (golden). The monument was commissioned by Cocneus, probably one of his collegues."

All in all, a huge step forward in what a Roman marine might have worn.

Thanks Luca!

Cheers

Britannicus
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
About the shoulders with squamae it is evident a translation error.
The italian original article mentions squamae, while in the "official" english translation are mentioned "stripes" so they are definitely pteruges, nothing more.

I will edit the article on rh.com
Luca Bonacina
www.cisalpina.net
He seems to have those rounded pteruges tops, just below the belt, as often seen on generals statues too. Interesting... I'm sure the leather brigade will find evidence here :wink:
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
I have fixed some translation errors. It is curious that in the italian article is clearly mentioned "squamae on the shoulders", while in the english translation it is completely omitted in favour of "stripes". Muh! in this case the only think is to look at the true pic.
Unfortunately I'm not able to find a higher res picture at the moment. probably we have to wait for an archeomagazine next month.
Luca Bonacina
www.cisalpina.net
I post-processed the image to bring out detail and increase the resolution; it can be found here:
[url:24kgp8e7]http://hometown.aol.co.uk/Tarbicus/classis_tombstone.jpg[/url]

Note the item below and behind his left hand in the shadows. Could be a robe off his left shoulder (?), or something else (?) Look forward to a proper high res version being published.

Cheers.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
great job.
on the shoulder on the left it seems there are some traces of squamae.
They could be just a decoration, not true squamae (?).
Luca Bonacina
www.cisalpina.net
I wonder what information they used to date him. Yes, he is unbearded, so early third C is unlikely, but stylewise, he does make me think of that era. One reason why I am curious after the text...

Also, this is where more comparative material from Northern Italy would be useful. Definitely time to have a good imagebase research campaign there!
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
As far as I can see --we definitely need a bigger picture-- it looks like a scale cuirass. The interesting part is the IIIrd C.AD style sword baldric associated with the sporran, supposedly abandoned round Trajan's times.
Whart does the inscription say? Was he a soldier or an officer?
Pascal Sabas
Optio.

The sporran is around on later naval tombstones too: http://www.romanarmy.com/imb/imagebase-show.asp?ID=26
http://www.romanarmy.com/imb/imagebase-show.asp?ID=168

Interestingly, the last one has the same cognomen: Capito!
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Avete omnes,

could the baldric support the scutum on the marine's back? For me there is a curved structure visible above his right (on the stele left) shoulder. Apart from the worth this stele has for the question about the equipment of Roman marines, this is one of the most beautiful stones with Roman soldiers in full armor. And, IIRC, the first one of a common soldier with such kind of armor, may it be squamata or a form of musculata with short tongue pteruges. Can't await to see larger pictures.

Greets - Uwe
Greets - Uwe
Looking at the enhanced picture which Tarbicus posted, I have to agree with Uwe, that the "baldrick" could be a shield carrying strap. Clearly there is an oval shaped detail behind the soldier. However, what's to say that he didn't wear his sword on the left. There are many examples of ordinary soldiers from 1st 2nd centuries wearing theirs on the left.

The armour definately has scale detail at the shoulders, but it would appear that it is worn with a muscled cuirass. The 'navel' of the cuirass can be seen indented above the belt apron.

Also, if the sculpture is 3rd century, wouldn't he be wearing a more enclosed boot pattern? The detail shows the tabs of the caligae and also the toes of the soldier.

Regards,
Yes. Could be a muscle cuirass in which case the "scales" at the shoulders could be a double row of round lappets. The thingie on his left shoulder is his cloak worn the traditional way.
The oval shape behind could be a shield, but it also could be a crack in the stone. Note that the crack(?) continues downards.
Methink that is a baldric of the IIIrd CAD type.
After all it HAD to appear at some time in conjunction with older equipment. Maybe this is one of the dedicated followers of fashion that actually threw this one... Big Grin
On the baldric you can still barely distinguish the round fastening phalera and the faint line at the bottom may indicate the strap end decoration.
His hand rests on the hilt of his sword, in the eternal "proud swordsman" stance, which makes te sword stick out almost horizontally behind, which explains why it's not seen. I think the pommel is clearly shown..
Another strange thing: the double weighted pilum has a spear head..
Methink thus guy was an officer, centurion or something..
Pascal Sabas

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Classis Syriaca in the Bar Kokhba War Nathan Ross 14 8,022 02-11-2016, 04:04 PM
Last Post: Praefectusclassis
  Classis Britannica in Scotland Lianachan 8 3,845 03-19-2011, 07:20 PM
Last Post: Lianachan
  Centurio Tombstone, Turin Italy Doc 18 3,627 11-09-2009, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar