Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman civil service...
Can anyone suggest some sources, in english, on the later Roman civil service and the support staff for the army?

John/Luc. Ambr. Ianuarianus
John Lucas
Luc. Ambr. Ianuarianus
It's old, but I'd start with A.H.M. Jones' 'The Late Roman Empire', or its paperback digest version 'The Decline of the Ancient World'. It gives a comprehensive (if sometimes simplistic and by now dated) overview of the system.
Der Kessel ist voll Bärks!

Volker Bach
Carlton, I just wanted to thank you for the Late Roman Empire/Jones suggestion. I've gone ahead and ordered the two volume set.

I asked my initial question because I'm curious about the support arm of the later Roman army. I would assume that, like modern armies, the combat troop/support staff ratio was higher than the 'barbarian' armies at the time. If this is the case, I would think that it would be appropriate for the many re-enactment units to have some one who represents that specific aspect of the Roman military. If I get into a re-enactment group, I think that's what I would like to do.

Thanks again for the referrence!

-John/Luc. Ambr. Ianuarianus
John Lucas
Luc. Ambr. Ianuarianus
Well, regarding the logistics of the army, Southern/Dixon 'The Late Roman Army'
makes a good starting point. Though I recall from writing a paper on the Late Roman dux that the civil service/military nexus was a matter of constant friction because the civil service handled so much of the military's supplies (and badly). IIRC the people in charge of coordinating these things were the apparitores of the theater commander (dux or comes) for border troops and the apparitores of the magistri militum for the comitatenses.

Good luck, fellow paper pusher

Volker Bach
Quote: Though I recall from writing a paper on the Late Roman dux that the civil service/military nexus was a matter of constant friction because the civil service handled so much of the military's supplies (and badly).
Anything you can share with us? Big Grin
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:Anything you can share with us? Big Grin

Unfortunately, not much right now. It appears the disc I keep that part of my old papers on is - what's the technical term - shot to hell. Sad

I know this was based largely on the Theodosian Code and that the main evidence were provisions regarding the 'apparitores of the dux' and the 'apparitores of the prases', and their respective rights and duties. I'll see I find the time to dig, but can't promise much right now.

Volker Bach