Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Depeeka horn helmet
I've seen it around, and for cheap. i didn't see anything about it at
Legio XX's Things to avoid page. BUT I have not seen or heard anything about the "original" (if there is one) so this raises some questions for me.
What i would like to know is: is this helmet a depeeka invention? If it does have some "history" behind it what could one do to improve it's accuracy?
Brent Grolla

Please correct me if I am wrong.
Although it isn't on Matt's "Avoid" list, it is approved by Dan Peterson. (Anyone please correct me if I'm wrong :wink: )
Jaime
As recently brought up on a different forum, Dan Peterson has not approved several of the items that are listed by "Deepeeka" as "Dan Peterson approved". Of course, anyone who actually reads the cheesy advertisements by Deepeeka, or By-the Sword, or Museum Replicas, or many other "merchants" is probably wasting time best spent elsewhere. Do not trust these companies to have any historical knowledge about the stuff they are selling, they are in business to make money, and they do that by selling stuff. Some of the individuals working for the companies actually try to do research (Albion for example), but most are willing to take the name of a recognized "expert" or a historical personage and slap their name on a picture of their "authentic" stuff, just so you will buy it.
Just my opinion and information I have seen on the internet relating to your question, not an official comment by the owners of this website.

Caius Fabius
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]
Quote:Dan Peterson has not approved several of the items that are listed by "Deepeeka" as "Dan Peterson approved"

Isn't that illegal ? Libel ? Maybe not in India :roll:

I noticed the "Dan Peterson approved" seal on By the Sword. Not every helmet had it, but maybe it is a scheme. The only way to know I guess is to ask Dan himself.

In any event, I wouldn't pay the $470 for it :wink:

Thanks for that useful bit of info, Caius.
Jaime
Emeraldweapon7d,

You surely mean the 'Roman horn helmet'. Its original was found in 1959 in a Frankish grave under the Dome of Cologne, containing the remains of a lady and a boy, the helmet is thought to have belonged to the boy. So the designation 'Roman horn helmet' is somewhat misleading IMO, it suggests that it might have belonged to the type of helmet that was used by the Hamian archers in Roman auxiliary service, about 1st / 2nd century AD. Indeed the helmet is of 'Spangenhelm' type, about 5th / 6th century AD and has been mentioned in this topic before:

link from old RAT

Greets - Uwe
Greets - Uwe
Yes it is a merovingic helmet. A miniature helmet in fact, made for a young boy. I have a small drawing of the original helmet. It isn't very clear but I will try to scan it and post it here if I find the time.

Best regards,
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
This is it:
[Image: grabung_ekta006058.jpg]
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Perhaps it is the equivelent of a Buck Rogers' helmet. A toy for kids, but not a copy of anything.
>|P. Dominus Antonius|<
Leg XX VV
Tony Dah m

Oderint dum metuant - Cicero
Si vis pacem, para bellum - Vegetius
Why not. Speaking as a re-enactor with kids, don't we all make stuff for the little ones to wear?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Thanks for the input guys! So i gather that this would be appropiate for an eastern archer impression then Sad and i really liked how the brass goes with the black horn.
Brent Grolla

Please correct me if I am wrong.
Europa Militaria no 6 "The Vikings in color photgraphs" has a reconstructed horn helmet on page 30. It associates it with eastern horse archers.
The is also a Russian book about the "battle of Kulikovo" by some Sergei Tarasov that has some obscure photos from a museum in the south Volga area in its references. They depict horn helmets.
Horn armor is usually associated with Step cultures especially in horse barding.
The interpertation that the helmet was a child's toy is not impossible either but in my opinion it was based on the real world of grown ups.
Kind regards
Stefanos

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Deepeeka "Horn" Helmet? What\'s it worth? Gregory J. Liebau 8 2,489 11-08-2005, 11:29 PM
Last Post: Gregory J. Liebau