Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Caltrop sizes
Avete Fraterii:

Does anyone happen to know how long the tines were on a Roman iron caltrop? I am considering having some made as an accessory for my kit.

Vale:

Gaius
Michael Garrity
Hi,

The ones I have been illustrating recently from the Roman fort in Carlisle have tines around 1" (2.5cm) long, and there are about 10-15 of them, though I understand they can vary a lot in size.

They are forged from a flat strip about 3/8 (1cm) wide and 3/16 (5mm) thick, which is cold chisel split from either end and the resultant prongs twisted into the triangle shape and forged pointed. I plan to make some on our forge outside York in a few weeks myself

hope this helps
Adam
On a cold and gray Chicago mornin\'
A poor little baby child is born
In the ghettoooooo...
(vocalist extrodinaire- Eric Cartman)
Ave:

Just 1" tines? I would have guessed 2" +. Could you post a pic or three of the ones you are working with?
Another piece of Roman ironwork I am considering having duplicates of is the type of spike that was first pounded into a short wooden stake; the stake was then driven into the ground flush so that the spike stood up at an angle.
The spike basically has a pair of 90-degree bends, with a tip that looks like the barb from a fish hook.

Vale:

Gaius
Michael Garrity
I could do you a schematic full size sketch of one is that ok?- the problem is the site isn't published and I can't realease my drawings before publication without the companies permission. I know it sounds like a cop out, but its true.

As I said in my earlier post I understand that there are a variety of sizes, but these are all around 1".

If the sketch is O.k I will post it asap

cheers
Adam
In the ghettoooooo...
Ave et salutatio:

Sure, a drawing would do nicely. Are you also familiar with the spikes I mentioned?

Vale:

Gaius
Michael Garrity
I have heard of them but never seen or encountered any- do you have a picture anywhere of some so I can keep my eyes open when drawing the iron work?

I have a sketch scanned in for you, where would you like me to send it?

BW
Adam
In the ghettoooooo...
heres a pic of an original one, unfortunately the photograph does not have a scale.(those pics with plumata on the net never do Cry )

http://www.curlesnewstead.org.uk/platexxxviii.htm
Brent Grolla

Please correct me if I am wrong.
Ave Adam:

You can send that scanned sketch to me at [email protected]

Vale:

Gaius
Michael Garrity
I believe the spike you are thinking of is called a stimulus. I made one for the group I am in and the one before. I think the spike part should be about 3" long. Any shorter and it wouldn't go all the way through a foot. The spike part should be parallel with the wooden stake so it sticks straight up when hammered into the ground.
Another anti personal roman land mine was called the lily. Named after the flower. You would dig a shallow conical pit and at the base you hammered in a fire hardened wooden stake. The pit is then covered with lose sticks waiting for a Celt to step on it. It was supposed to look like the flower.

Aulus Cladius Maximus
Bernard Jacobs
Any opinion stated is genally not the opinion of My group or Centurian
I've come across a clatrop in a Swiss collection that's 13 cm long. It's from Asia Minor and dated to the Roman period.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
SALVE

At legio Prima germanica ( www.primagermanica.com ) have reconstructions of stimuli and lilia. Fire woodharding it's very efective.

I think that kind of "obstacle" was made in a lot of shapes and sizes, because it's a item very easy to make, even by simple soldiers.

VALE
Here they are: http://www.romanarmy.com/cms/index.php? ... ail&id=262

Btw, Avi, I don't think you are a 74 years old female, please check and edit your profile. :wink:
[Image: 120px-Septimani_seniores_shield_pattern.svg.png] [Image: Estalada.gif]
Ivan Perelló
[size=150:iu1l6t4o]Credo in Spatham, Corvus sum bellorum[/size]
Yes, i am. But i'm very bad preserved and ugly!
Quote:Btw, Avi, I don't think you are a 74 years old female, please check and edit your profile. :wink:

Quote: Yes I am, but I'm very badly preserved & ugly!

:lol: :lol: :lol: [/quote]
"Feel the fire in your bones."

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Needlefelt CALTROP design - Watch out Cavalry jkaler48 0 1,218 02-02-2011, 10:04 AM
Last Post: jkaler48