Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
When Traveling....
I'm trying to put together a living history impression of an equites son who has finished his classical education, and has chosen to travel to further his education as opposed to any military or civil service. I have the clothing done pretty well, but I'm at a loss in regard to what kind of gear I would be carrying. So, what kind of gear would young men carry with them on these trips, and how would they go about carrying it?

Thanks,
Adam C.
Gaius Opius Fugi (Adam Cripps)
Moderator, Roman Army Talkv2
Forum Rules: http://www.ancient-warfare.org/index.php...view=rules
Is this a Principate 'knight' or an earlier Republican one?

If Principate, I would first of all keep in mind that that makes you seriously wealthy, (not one of the super-rich, but think multimillionaire businessman in a modern context), so you will most likely not travel alone. At the very least, you should have one slave with you at all times. He will be the most important part of you 'travel gear'.

You shoulds at least consider a carriage (not necessarily a heavy four-wheeled one, though these were popular). In the Roman world, if you were wealthy you did not ride or walk, and you need to transport your possessions somehow.

Given the fact that travel of the kind you have in mind would include lengthy 'multi-week or multi-month) stays in certain location, you would be carrying a lot of, for want of a better word, stuff. A chest for clothing, basic, wood, and square, would be the first thing. You need to carry a spare tunic at least, a cloak, a few under-tunics, and a dinner set (synthesis) for invitations. And, of course, the much-hated toga. As an eques, I don't see how you could get out of the obligation to own and occasionally wear one. I would also include a 'capsa', a cylindrical book-box with your favourite literature (you can find good illustrations of large ones in the Vergilius Romanus - if you want the pictures, drop me a line). Then there should be smaller cases with your cosmetics kit (strigil, pincers, maybe curling iron, depilation tools, salves, body oil and perfumes) a writing set (wax tablets, pen, inkpot, scrolls or sheets of blank papyrus or wood slivers and conveniently sited potsherds for everyday notes, possibly a bronze or pottery lamp). I can probably help you with some pictures here, too, but again I have not found a convenient way of hosting them, so you'll need to give me an e-mail address to send them to. As to cosmetics, I am not sure if there was a clear distinction between 'male' and 'fem,ale' kits, but you might want to look at the Proiecta Casket. Now, that thing is made from silver and just scream 'ultra-riich', but the basic size and shape copuld be of interest, and is documtented in images. But of course, so are simple square boxes.

You will also be carrying a sheaf of documents - letters of introduction to friends and friends of friends, letters from influential friends of the family to smooth your way, and probably small gifts and letters you are carrying for friends from friends. An interesting instance of a doicument container (as opposed to a scroll container) was found at En Gedio in the so-called 'Cave of Letters', a leather wallet held together with a string. I have reconstructed one and am using it for various purposes now.

Depending on where you travel (and to how much luxury you are accustomed), you may also bring along a cook and his cooking gear. However, in much of the civilised world there were enough opprtunities to buy food along the way, and in cities you would often be relying on the hospitality of friends and kin. However, if I were that rich and travelliung in the Roman world, I would definitely want to carry my own bedding. A thin mattress, neckroll and blanket should do. If we can trust various frescos, the Romans seem to have liked stripes in primary colours on white.

Many members of the Roman elites were very health-conscious, so carrying some basic medicinal preparations would not be out of place. Laxatives, purgatives and drugs to aid digestion, maybe aphrodisiacs or, if you are of the fearful type, antidotes.

Of course would would be carrying cash, probably in a lockable box.

I would argue against typical 'camping gear' like a tent, field bed or simple cooking gear - because you will be travelling in civilised regions and should be able to find food and shelter daily (unless you like the Great Oudoors - some did, and went on extended hunting trips for recreation). However, a collapsible bronze tripod brazier might be a good thing to have reliable heating, improvised dining, and a portable altar for your sacrifices. You might also want to consider incense and a libation dish. Not necessary, but if you are conscientious - the Romans wanted their ceremonies done *right*. A portable brazier for this purpose was part of household equipment for the upper classes.

Does that help any?
Der Kessel ist voll Bärks!

Volker Bach
Carlton,

Thanks a lot! Tons of things to talk about. I think I might have used the word "equites" wrong, as I wasn't thinking of a knight. My latin is non-existant, and I'm just starting to slowly pick it up (though poorly right now). What I meant was the word for the upper class business men (not like Bill Gates rich, but still wealthy and eat extremely well....the kind you stereotypically think of as being fat). Regardless, you gave me a lot of information to think on and consider implementing into my impression. What are the demensions and details on the leather wallet? It sounds extremely interesting. Thanks for you help.

Cheers,
Adam
You might consider "Travel in the Ancient World" by Lionel Casson, which goes into detail on touring and traveling in Roman times.
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Quote: What are the demensions and details on the leather wallet? It sounds extremely interesting.

I'm missing the photocopies right now, but basically it was a leather 'walletlike' container (sheepskin) about 30 cm wide and 15 deep. It was made by folding over a 30x45cm oblong and sewing oval insets into the sides (does that make it clearer?). Before sewing it, the large oblong was rounded along what would become the 'flap' and sewn all around with a reinforcing strip folded over the edge. This is not necessary if you ar using stronger leather than sheepskin, but looks rather fetching.

The find was published in Yigael Yadin: Finds from the Bar Kokhba Period in the Cave of Letters. There is also a good illustration on page 226 of his more easily accessible 'Bar Kohkba - the Rediscovery of the legendary hero of the last Jewish revolt against Imperial Rome' (London 1971).

This wallet was found containing the so-called 'Babatha archive', the legal documents, title deeds and important correspondence of a wealthy provincial woman. This may not have been its original purpose, though.

On the question of eques being a 'knight', that is merely a ceremonial title by the imperial period. To be an eques, you had to be seriously wealthy (the Augustan census figure commonly quoted is 400,000 sesterces, and that is the minimum amount, not a rule-of-thumb). If you are looking for a rich businessman, that may be a good choice, especially for a family tradition of classical education. However, there would also be the option of a wealthy freedman (though these often did not have or aspire to the kind of education that marked you 'upper class') or a curial from a provincial city rather than Rome. These men could also be very wealthy without belonging to Rome's ruling aristocracy, and their education and culture was broadly similar (though, of course, more modest in monetary terms without the opportunities afforded by the capital).

As a curial, it would be perfectly credible for you to be travelling in the company of a single slave and a pack mule, much reduced circumstances by the lights of the equestrian class accustomed to carriages and small caravans. But of course that would depend on the city in question. I can't see one of Alexandria's city fathers travel like that.

Have you looked at the finds from Pompeii? The small items excavated, especially in the early stages when they were looking for 'treasure', give you a good impression of what kind of portable artifacts surrounded the wealthy in the Roman world.
Der Kessel ist voll Bärks!

Volker Bach
RichSC,

Thanks for the book title. I have not read that one yet. It has just been moved to the top of my long reading list.

Carlton,

Thanks again! You have produced even more for me to think about. This impression is completely knew to me, and there are a lot of gaps I'm trying to fill in. The curial idea I have never heard of before, but sounds like something more like what I'm looking for. Circumstances force me to do an upper class impression, though my personality doesn't fit to well with an extremely rich person (I mean, if I had that much more money than I needed, then I would give it away...). So I'm looking for a background of wealth, but not to the extent of being the richest man alive. So, that curial idea intrigues me. Would also allow me more versatility in the impression as I can then switch it from one territory to another depending on event scenarios. The slave part would be easy, as I have already talked a friend from other time periods I do (we do multiple ones together) to come to an event with me :-) ) . I will also try and get those articles you sited in reference to the letter wallet, as that sounds like a project I'd enjoy doing this winter. In regards to Pompeii, I have looked at a few of the fresco's awhile back, but haven't had a chance to look at the collection in depth. I will try to get to it pretty soon however. Again, I thank you for your assistance and giving me a starting point to work off of.

Cheers,
Adam