Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hi from the new guy!
Avete,everyone. My name is Andy Booker and I live in east-central Georgia. I've been interested in Roman and Greek history as long as I can remember. Those old mythology books really got to me. I'm here to learn as much as I can and to share with others interested in this fascinating subject.I don't re-enact as yet but I'm hoping through this forum I might meet people in my area. I've learned quite alot from you all through browsing this site. Working on a Roman name(this can get really complicated) and trying to get my gear together as I can afford it. I look forward to talking to everyone. Andy Big Grin
Andy Booker

Gaivs Antonivs Satvrninvs

Andronikos of Athens
Hi Andy, welcome to the forum, make yourself at home!
gr,
Jeroen Pelgrom
Rules for Posting

I would rather have fire storms of atmospheres than this cruel descent from a thousand years of dreams.
Hello Andy

Welcome to the forum. Whereabouts do youl live, that would be a start for folk to see whether they can help you etc ....

All the best and enjoy your stay.
Welcome home Andy!
[Image: 120px-Septimani_seniores_shield_pattern.svg.png] [Image: Estalada.gif]
Ivan Perelló
[size=150:iu1l6t4o]Credo in Spatham, Corvus sum bellorum[/size]
Salvete, Andy. I have a couple of tips for you for picking a name. There are a large handful of web sites with Latin names. If you Google "latin praenomen first names" you'll turn up some good resources.

For a house name, I visited Nova Roma at http://www.novaroma.org and searched through their gens section until I found a house name that was from the area I had selected for my Roman persona and e-mailed the pater familias of that house to solicit for inclusion in their family. You really don't need to go to that length unless you want to get involved in "New Rome" on an active level. If you just want a name and to join a re-enacment group, just pick a name from the gens at Nova Roma and adopt it.

For your cognomen, take a nickname, something your friends call you, or some characteristic you have and tack that on. That's how I established myself as Marius Tarquinius Ursus. Don't forget that Romans were every bit as sarcastic and "mean" as modern day soldiers and senators. There were Romans called "Lucius the Fat" and "Falcus the Bald". ;-) )
AVETE OMNES
MARIVS TARQVINIVS VRSVS
PATER FAMILIAS DOMVS VRSVM
-Tom