Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Old RAT imported!
Ah, silly me...
I misunderstood because they were not 'imported' yet..

Sure, I suppose that's a good idea.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
This new forum is much better than the old one.

Unfortunately all the topics I've posted more than once or twice seem to have been deleted by now. Cry
drsrob a.k.a. Rob Wolters
If they were old...well, you know about Ezboard's auto-pruning forums with more than 20 pages of posts. That's OFF here.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Eh no, actually I don't...please explain
What I think he means is that on ezboard, if any forum got over 20 pages of messages, all messages that went over the 20th page would be deleted automatically (This was not something controlable, but ezboard policy). As a result, some posts you made a long time ago in very popular forums were probably automatically deleted. While ezboard still counted these dead threads towards your post count, they could not be factored in when we imported into the new forum (since there's no way for us to count messages towards your total that aren't there anymore).

So yes, not much we can do to up your count from the old forum. Sad
But, as Jasper points out, the new forum will NOT automatically delete posts from forums over 20 pages, so it won't happen again. Smile
-Christy Beall
Don't you love it when you have an interpreter? :wink: Thanks Christy!
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
But in my case all the topic have disappeared entirely. That is, they have not been included in the archive and apparently have been deleted.
On a first glance I would also say that what remains of my posts is also far less than my count in the new forum
Hi Rob,
We could only import what was still on RAT v1. The Archive was one way to save some of the worthwhile older threads, but that wasn't followed up on when Sander stopped being our archiver.
Your post count should be equal to your number of posts in this forum. If I click your name and then select "See all posts by this user" I see 5 pages of posts in threads in Mil Hist, References and a few in the archive.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Well, that explaines a few things. My more lengthy discussions were from before 2003 and the were still in the Roman Military History Forum when I last checked (about half a year to a year ago)
Hé, I just followed up this link in an old topic:

http://pub45.ezboard.com/fromanarmytalkf...=570.topic

And it still exists on the old forum, but is not listed in the index. I've found more of these threads, the lowest numbered so far is 400. Perhaps it is possible to save these threads after all?
Hi Rob,
I would advise against running a script for that as we did in just after the move. It messes up both index and search. Prolly the best thing you could do, if you find such threads, is just to copy paste them yourself. Or make them into little articles for Romanarmy.com, even better.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Ahh, that's a pity Sad

I did a quick survey and of research and archeology all the posts from number 468 onwards seem to have survived. From nr. 300 onwards the list contains:
    455-456
    458-459
    461-463
    465-466
    468->

I'm very partial to 456 and 480 :wink: but 456 is 4 pages long and therefore not suitable for copy-paste. Perhaps it is possible to do it in two stages? Recreate the archive and copy the threads into that. Then if possible move them to the forum? Or is there a way to move interesting threads individually?
Hi Rob,
Nope, it's not possible to move individual posts.
ARe you sure none of them made it? The index number may well have changed, remember that! Perhaps a search for keywords may be enlightening?
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
I checked through de dates. The oldest topic in the index dates from 2004. These topics all date from 2003 and 2002.

As you suggested however, I did a search and I found that there are a lot more old topics than can be found in the index. The latter goes only back to early 2004, but through a search on "Imperial Italic D" I found a lot of older topics. Alas not the one I was hoping to find. There is curiously enough only one topic from 2003, when this particular topic ran.
For instance topic nr. 456 to which I'm partial, cannot be found... Sad