Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Provincial campfollower (prostitute) kit
Well most evidence sugests that ancient cultures had no problem celebrating fertility as as they had the gut instinct that it was the key to survival.
I think the term "falling birthrates" would be incomprehensible to them.
Kind regards
Stefanos
so far she has one of my old tunics and a pair of subligaria, plus a bowl and spoon and some other odds and ends, I should think this sufficient for now, what do you think??
aka., John Shook
BTW, we are looking for more in the midwest r east coast so we can have a small group of lupae around the camp.
aka., John Shook
Quote:so far she has one of my old tunics and a pair of subligaria, plus a bowl and spoon and some other odds and ends, I should think this sufficient for now, what do you think??

Footwear would probably be the first consideration for someone who spends much time walking. We pampered moderns especially tend to need it (personally, I'm too pansy to march long distances even in turnshoes, not to mention barefoot).

Depending on body type, a strophium might be a good idea.

For modesty's sake (yes, that matters), I would advise her to acquire sone kind of mantle soon. Or maybe a Gallic cloak. What is the intended background?
Der Kessel ist voll Bärks!

Volker Bach
she is supposed to be a gual, she has some leather wrapping she wears on the feet, she is a runner in real life, so she has tough feet.

gallic cloak works well I think, or maybe just an old sagum?
aka., John Shook
Quote:more in the midwest r east coast

East coast? Where are you looking?
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
we are located in michigan and ohio, and in NY and pennsylvania both, we join together for big events, and the pack of lupae would be for our camps at semi garrison events.
aka., John Shook
Quote:she is supposed to be a gual, she has some leather wrapping she wears on the feet, she is a runner in real life, so she has tough feet.

gallic cloak works well I think, or maybe just an old sagum?

Either would probably work. If she's a Gaul, she'll want one of those very wide, sleeved, unbelted tunics that Wild calls 'Gallic coat'. Two of those have actually been found, so a reconstruction is possible with some confidence. The female grave at Les-Martres-de-Veyre also had leggings and sewn 'socks' in it, so those might be the next clothing item on the list.

I'd also think about a carrier bag or basket for everyday items. Both are fairly well attested, and while the upper classes in their iconography made a point of never having one, most people most likely did, most of the time. I can not pronounce on the bag types with any confidence, though - that's still an ongoing research project of mine. Generally, assume a square pattern and up to the size of a modern shopping bag. There may or may not be some stiffening along the top.

Maybe some cooking or textileworking tools? Poor women had to diversify the skill base to make a living, and neither cooking nor clothwork sound like a bad idea in a military environment.
Der Kessel ist voll Bärks!

Volker Bach