Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hasta Pura Nomination
Christian wrote..
Quote:In that sense: I´d like to nominate Peroni as well.

Robert wrote..
Quote:If we nominate someone else, can they decline because they feel they don't know enough about their gear?
And if we nominate someone else, do we have to say in advance what they are nominated for? For instance, what are you nominating Peroni for - what does have to defend in front of the jury?

Does this mean I now have to prepare images and documentation of my equipment?
Quote:So to get this straight, the Hasta Pura is also for someone who makes a very good sword, but also for someone who does a very good impression of (say) a Roman soldier by buying very good replicas? The main thing is that you will have to make a presentation about your object(s) for a jury which will decide how well you know your stuff?

If we nominate someone else, can they decline because they feel they don't know enough about their gear?
And if we nominate someone else, do we have to say in advance what they are nominated for? For instance, what are you nominating Peroni for - what does have to defend in front of the jury?

Probably in HASTA PURA was better to explain why we want to nominate someone.

All the winners of the hasta pura were people who not only had make equipment but knows well roman equipment.

There are, of course, armourers who make very more better work, but don't know really how a roman piece was made. So, sometimes, we can know some very good look stuff, but inacurate.

And there are people who knows very well the roman thing, but don't have make any replica.

But i prefer to make a clear dinstinction between the makers of roman equipment and the "good roman impression" people.

Can we make another award? A bronze/silver/gold hammer?
Quote:Does this mean I now have to prepare images and documentation of my equipment?

No:
Quote:4. Nominees may only participate with one (1) object.

Quote:The main thing is that you will have to make a presentation about your object(s) for a jury which will decide how well you know your stuff?
Well, basically all this here is virtual, I mean we cannot start sending around the items to check them personally. In that way a good presentation here is what gets you the hasta pura, for it is something everyone in this forum profits of. It has to be good, though, and the object has to be good. And if the nominee has made the object himself, it is quite propable, that he has some pics of the making, or detailed information about the production process. Which would make a presentation better than one without this info, of course...

Quote:If we nominate someone else, can they decline because they feel they don't know enough about their gear?
Yes, sure.

Quote:And if we nominate someone else, do we have to say in advance what they are nominated for?
No.

Quote:For instance, what are you nominating Peroni for - what does have to defend in front of the jury?
That´s his own choice, he knows all the objects he has best.
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Quote:
Quote:And if we nominate someone else, do we have to say in advance what they are nominated for?
No.
Quote:For instance, what are you nominating Peroni for - what does have to defend in front of the jury?
That´s his own choice, he knows all the objects he has best.

OK! So if I understand this right (I may not have when I answered your PM just now), if someone nominates me I get to choose the object which I want to defend. OK. Cool. Big Grin
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
That is a lot clearer! Thankyou Christian.
Quote:
Quote:Does this mean I now have to prepare images and documentation of my equipment?

No:

Okay, sorry but I'm confused again- I thought that the reason for also including those who have only bought items was that it was the ASSEMBLY of accurate items into a complete impression- thus showing everything and explaining why it's a proper complete set- that demonstrated an analogous level of knowledge to that which is necessary to actually produce the objects, no? It doesn't make sense to me to just show an item that someone else made and say why it's good- that doesn't demonstrate a lot of expertise on the part of the purchaser. I, myself, provide quite detailed information about why pieces are authentic and appropriate for a given impression, so if one purchased object is sufficient for this award, all anyone would have to do is quote me (just for example...).
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
Feeling a touch sheepish for not having thought of him right away, but Matt Amt sure has made a lot of great stuff AND he has a pretty sweet overall impression so really qualifies for both areas of the Hasta Pura- so he definitely deserves a nomination and the award!
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
Hah. Matt L was faster. Smile
Christian K.

Why not create a specific award only for those who make their own gear?
"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

a.k.a. Paul M.
We discussed this internally and decided against it. The hasta pura is difficult enough to gain, and we do not really need that many awards.
Christian K.

Christian Koepfer the Award Moderator himself is quite deserving of the award too- so I hereby nominate him as well (again :lol: ) :wink: .
Gee Matt, I guess it means that even if I spend a lot of money listening to certain peoples advice, I will never even qualify to be considered for a hasta pura? Sad
As at the moment, I have neither the room or equipment to make my own gear, so I feel rather dissappointed that I will never qualify for anything!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
No, no, you qualify. Don´t be dissapointed. But you have to be nominated. Smile
Christian K.

Gee's thanks thats a relief! Yes I did realize that I would have to be nominated, it was just I got the impression that to be eligible to be nominated, you had to make all your own equipment! I don't expect to be, but it is something to strive for anyway! Smile
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
My group is just finishing up our reconstruction of a contubernia tent. I have two questions.

1. I was the coordinator for the group project and did all the research, but we made the tent as a GROUP. Many from our group have put time in hand stitching on it. Is this kind of project eligible?

2. I have a couple pictures of tent finds, but mostly i have drawings from the Van Driel- Murray Article "New Light on Old Tents." We also based some things off of photos from trajans column, but these can hardly be called photos of originals. Would this sort of thing be good enough?

Here is our tent page.
[url:km7xyuaq]http://web.utk.edu/~cohprima/tent.html[/url]
[size=167:2hdyiooh]Robert Wear[/size]
Knoxville, TN
LEGIO V ALAUDAE
[url:2hdyiooh]http://web.utk.edu/~cohprima[/url]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Edge Gibbons -- Hasta Pura Submission (1st Post) Gaius_Calvus 1 5,663 12-16-2008, 02:51 AM
Last Post: Magnus
  Edge Gibbons -- Hasta Pura Submission (Final Post) Gaius_Calvus 2 6,182 12-09-2008, 04:07 PM
Last Post: Gaius_Calvus
  Edge Gibbons -- Hasta Pura Submission (3rd Post) Gaius_Calvus 0 4,142 12-09-2008, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Gaius_Calvus