Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recreating a legionair beginning 3rd Century
Sassanid/Andrew,

Quote:To be honest you have me baffled to who it may have been. We do though, have have members from all over the country who don't do many events anymore, and who I have never actually met. Was it Bill?

If his name is Bill Griffiths, then yes Big Grin

Found the group image, and it had a name list.

Greets,
Aurelius Florianus/Flavius Promotus
Florian Himmler (not related!)
Ah that would explain it - Mr Quinta! :lol: I believe he was one of Quinta's original founders. I have never had the pleasure of meeting him as he is no longer an active member to my knowledge. Paul would know much more than me as he was also there from the start. At least 15 years ago.

Bill Griffiths is now the North East's Regional Museums Hub Manager, and one of the North East's senior archaeologists. His name is certainly on the front of many of the Roman publications on my book shelf. Sadly he seems to have more to do with Segedunum now, than Arbeia.

Andrew
You can see my new brooches!
original - James. final report VII: fig 29 E, fig 36\\26
work by Dofin(Belorussia)

russian forum topic:
http://www.roman-glory.com/forum/index. ... entry92989
Any problem using those in Russia?

Legion: TBD
Not a problem if you are correct.
Its only sun symbol

Its usual symbol in a russian traditional culture
Posting these here is certainly against the first principle of RAT.
Two things:
1. No, this is not just a sun symbol. It is also a symbol of death, murder, intrigue and atrocity. To call it just a sun symbol seems to be only possible, if one hasnßt the slightest knowledge of the 20ith century.
2. Reproducing these and actually wearing these is IMO absolutely tasteless, and a sign of nonexistence of any kind of empathy for other people. There are way enough and way nicer fibulae around from that period, (which are, admittedly, more difficult to make), which could be used for a historically correct impression.
Since this is a international board this is going to be edited.
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Very good! :wink:
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Quote:Posting these here is certainly against the first principle of RAT.
Two things:
1. No, this is not just a sun symbol. It is also a symbol of death, murder, intrigue and atrocity. To call it just a sun symbol seems to be only possible, if one hasnßt the slightest knowledge of the 20ith century.
2. Reproducing these and actually wearing these is IMO absolutely tasteless, and a sign of nonexistence of any kind of empathy for other people. There are way enough and way nicer fibulae around from that period, (which are, admittedly, more difficult to make), which could be used for a historically correct impression.
Since this is a international board this is going to be edited.

I am Jewish ,I have no problem ,Christians angst is out of context :!:
Hannibal ad portas ! Dave Bartlett . " War produces many stories of fiction , some of which are told until they are believed to be true." U S Grant
Barcid, that is precisely what my previous, and for some strange reason deleted, post said.....apart from the 'I am Jewish' bit! 8)

I do under stand Christians correcting the statement that they are nothing more than 'sun symbols' but
I think perhaps the young guy was trying to portray a sense of that is what they would/should be recognized as, if not for a very short and terrible period of 10-20 years when a certain moron missappropriated them. Hopefully!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
caiustarquitius

I did not do symbols of fascism of 20 centuries!
This brooches from Dura Europos of 3 century.
(You can see James and Graham Sumner reconstruction)
Sun symbol in this context, from Syria, where solaric(sun) cult was popular.

ps-
If I have broken rules - remove it(
No need to say more than this:
Quote:RAT principles

The First Principle on RAT is to respect your fellow community members, each other's opinions, countries, politics, religions and cultures. RAT is an international community...
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Model tunic from XX Cohors Palmyrenoruim.
search of technology from future more correct tunic.
Material-Wool
material clavi - wool band
Very nice Dennis! The sleeves / cuffs are tight like the originals were. Usually in reconstructions they are too wide. I will too make a Dura Europos style third century tunic in the future...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Who put the "censored" boxes on the tunic photo?
M. Demetrius Abicio
(David Wills)

Saepe veritas est dura.
Russian topic about tunic there
http://www.roman-glory.com/forum/index. ... entry93044

M. Demetrius
I put, Because swastika breaks "The First Principle on RAT" :oops:

Virilis
Later I want new technology.
1.Machine embroidery
2. Manual embroidery like gobelin

Possibly Related Threads…