Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Other Message Boards
I post regularly on another board where the topic of discussion is a "metal band", and there's a thread on that board called, "Who is the Goth King?"

There are all these answers like, Trent Reznor, Nick Cave, and all kinds of people I've never heard of.

So, just to be a wisenheimer, I posted a picture of Alaric in that thread. I'm betting a lot of you thought the same thing I did when reading the above question..."Alaric, of course!"

Well, no one got it over there, so I thought I'd come mope over here where other people of like minds can appreciate with me the fact that people don't know nothin' no more. :roll:
AVETE OMNES
MARIVS TARQVINIVS VRSVS
PATER FAMILIAS DOMVS VRSVM
-Tom
:lol: Suuuure granpa. Here's a cup of coco. Now you can tell everybody about the good ol' times when people knew something relevant. :wink:
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Like how we used to wear loricae segmentata...and now they have these new fangled squamatae.

Youth have no respect for tradition.

In my day, you actually had to march! There was none of this "Oh, let's hang out in a fort and throw rocks at the Thracians!" crap like there is now.
AVETE OMNES
MARIVS TARQVINIVS VRSVS
-Tom
It's a pity you don't know Trent Reznor or Nick Cave. They are great artists.

Try downloading "Closer" from Nine inch nails (=Reznor) to get a first impression. Nine inch nails's "Hurt" has been covered by Johnny Cash, who converts it into a song about his deceased wife June Carter. Perhaps Cash's cover is more accessible than NIN's own version; but both versions are great and will give you an idea about Reznor's dark poetics.

Nick Cave is especially great as a life artist (a glimpse of which you can get in the Wim Wenders movie Der Himmel über Berlin. His poetry has been published in King Ink. Great songs: "The Mercy Seat" and the "The Carny".

[url:1tgzoz20]http://www.nick-cave.com/[/url]
[url:1tgzoz20]http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0093191[/url]
[url:1tgzoz20]http://www.nin.com/[/url]
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Hi,
well, I don't know Trent Reznor, but I wouldn't say Nick Cave plays metal music...

Alexandr
I know who Trent Reznor and Nick Cave are, but there were a bunch of other Goths, Germanians, Vandals, and Gauls I'd never heard of.
AVETE OMNES
MARIVS TARQVINIVS VRSVS
-Tom
Quote:Goths, Germanians, Vandals, and Gauls
Sisters of Mercy, Kraftwerk, Sex Pistols, and Gipsy Kings, I'd say :wink:
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Quote:
Marius_Ursus:8a0oivpj Wrote:Goths, Germanians, Vandals, and Gauls
Sisters of Mercy, Kraftwerk, Sex Pistols, and Gipsy Kings, I'd say :wink:

LOL :lol:
AVETE OMNES
MARIVS TARQVINIVS VRSVS
-Tom
Cheez,you guys!
I know who all those bands are but I'm afraid I go even further back than that. It's funny to name the decade by the bands listed :lol:
Kraftwerk reaches allllll the way back to the 70's.
Nick Cave-metal? NAAAh!
(Fun to talk music,though).
Andy Booker

Gaivs Antonivs Satvrninvs

Andronikos of Athens
Quote:Goths, Germanians, Vandals, and Gauls

Sisters of Mercy, Kraftwerk, Sex Pistols, and Gipsy Kings, I'd say

Good Call spotty man Smile
Or how about
Goths: Bauhaus 8)
Germainians: Rammstein Confusedhock:
Vandals: Pantera :twisted:
Gauls: Plastic Bertrand. :lol:
Tasciavanous
AKA James McKeand
Ahem - the true 'Goth King' was Thiudareiks Amaligg aka 'Theodoricus Flavius' alias Theodoric the Ostrogoth.

And Nick Cave definitely doesn't play metal, but if you've seen him live you'd know he rocks and he's LOUD. I saw him play at a festival gig that included Alice in Chains and Soundgarden and he definitely held his own in the loud, fast, thundering rock department. His earlier band, The Birthday Party, was doing insane black metal way back in 1980 - when the guys in most of today's Nu-Metal bands weren't even born.

Nick Cave has also just written the screenplay for the movie The Proposition, which is a kind of Western set in Australia in the 1880s. It's a great movie, but pretty grim and the violence is not for the faint-hearted. As we'd expect from Old Nick ...
Tim ONeill / Thiudareiks Flavius /Thiudareiks Gunthigg

HISTORY FOR ATHEISTS - New Atheists Getting History Wrong
Goths - Candlemass
Germanics - Doro and Warlock
Vandals - King Diamond and Mercyful Fate
Gauls - Eluveitie (they do some songs in Gaulish)
[url:2yt8x5ic]http://www.eluveitie.ch/defaultstart.html[/url]
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
Quote:Ahem - the true 'Goth King' was Thiudareiks Amaligg aka 'Theodoricus Flavius' alias Theodoric the Ostrogoth.
Nah, Alaric the Visigoth was the true Goth king!
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)