Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
YUCK: Latest News on the "Hannibal" Film
02/14/05<br>
<br>
Vin Diesel has now decided to direct this project himself, because the studio was stalling at the proposed $200 million price tag. He'll do it for $50 million. (Cinematic Happenings Under Development)<br>
<br>
So, now we have:<br>
<br>
- Vin Diesel starring as Hannibal himself<br>
- Vin Diesel making his Directing debut<br>
- 150 million cut from the original price tag<br>
- Same guy who wrote Gladiator is writing this film<br>
<br>
What happened to Ron Howard? I thought he was going to direct this movie. Oh well. Get ready for crappy costumes and cheesy acting to smear one of the greatest military campaigns ever. <br>
<p></p><i></i>
Get in touch with him. I'm serious, and see if he's interested in advice from RAT. He can only say no thanks at worst. From what I hear, he's a really nice guy. Could be he's really interested in the subject, which is why he so really wanted to make the film. I seriously doubt, especially after 2 major TV series coming out which seem to be trying for some credibility on the subject, that he would go for a fantasy version.<br>
<br>
And I think his acting's actually quite good. Kenneth Branagh in Pitch Black doesn't really fit Hannibal being something of an ancient action hero/villain - not the worst choice imho <p></p><i></i>
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Quote:</em></strong><hr>- Vin Diesel starring as Hannibal himself<br>
- Vin Diesel making his Directing debut<br>
- 150 million cut from the original price tag<br>
- Same guy who wrote Gladiator is writing this film<br>
<hr><br>
<br>
<br>
hmm, somehow i can´t image vin diesel as Hannibal. The way this film is turning up it starting to look like some version of "the terminator" meets "gladiator" <p>-------------------------------------------------------<br>
A great flame follows a little spark.<br>
Dante Alighieri,The Divine Comedy<br>
</p><i></i>
gr,
Jeroen Pelgrom
Rules for Posting

I would rather have fire storms of atmospheres than this cruel descent from a thousand years of dreams.
If you seriously want to contact him and offer assistance:<br>
<br>
# Vin Diesel c/o Endeavor, 9701 Wilshire Boulevard, 10th Floor, Beverly Hills, CA 90212<br>
# Vin Diesel c/o One Race Productions, 3940 Laurel Canyon Blvd. #839, Studio City, CA 91604<br>
# c/o One Race Prod. 2029 Century Park East #1060 Los Angeles , CA 90067<br>
<br>
are some possible addresses. <p>"Just before class started, I looked in the big book where all the world's history is written, and it said...." Neil J. Hackett, PhD ancient history, professor OSU, </p><i></i>
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]
Better hurry before the arsdimicandi.net boys get ahold of him or there'll be Romans running around in leather segmentatas. <p></p><i></i>
Hope they don't use segs.<br>
<br>
All they need for the armor is to make those little square breast plates.<br>
<br>
The helmets will be the hardest part of the costume to produce authentically. <p></p><i></i>
Jaime
Got this from a mate who thinks it's from the Hollywood Reporter (remember this is the time where the money needs to be brought in. Please don't be toooooo judgemental):<br>
<br>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><br>
<br>
In the past few months, muscle-rippling spunk Vin Diesel ("xXx", "The Fast & The Furious") has often mentioned his desire to develop his pet project - the long in development movie about Hannibal The Conqueror.<br>
<br>
The project would have Diesel starring as the young man from the ruling clans of the city of Carthage in North Africa who makes an oath of vengeance against Rome when they kill his father. Dedicating his life to fulfilling that challenge, Hannibal becomes a general by the time he's in his mid-20s, and with an army of 100,000 committed to his goal, he sets out to bring Rome down, first by conquering Spain, and then by setting loose a surprise (and famous) attack on Italy by way of the Alps, with an array of forces that included war-trained elephants.<br>
<br>
Now, while talking to DH correspondent Paul Fischer during press for "The Pacifier", Diesel divulged this exclusive tidbit - "I'm going to direct it. The studio thought it couldn't be done for under 200 million so we went into soft pre-production and I found I could get the budget down to 50 million. The process excited me so now I'm going to direct". More on Vin later in the week.<br>
<br>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> <p></p><i></i>
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
The Romans killed Hamilcar Barca? <p></p><i></i>
Ahhh yes...... there is, of course, that slight hiccup.....<br>
<br>
I'm sure the original piece said 'Oretani'........ (ahem)<br>
<br>
The film is apparently based on the novel 'Hannibal' by Ross Leckie, who also wrote a similar biog-novel about Scipio Africanus. Although somewhat slighted, I really enjoyed them both. And, the novel definitely has Hamilcar die in battle against the Oretani, methinks. So, it could just be the fundraising spiel. <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://p200.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=tarbicus>Tarbicus</A> at: 2/16/05 5:06 pm<br></i>
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
I kinda suspect we'll see Hannibal heading off charges straight into the legionaries, giving a whole new interpretation to the way Cannae was won <p>Greets<br>
<br>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Don't forget that he'll be riding elephants straight into the legionaries... I wonder what kind of protection leather gives against ivory...? <p></p><i></i>
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan
Quote:</em></strong><hr> I wonder what kind of protection leather gives against ivory...?<hr><br>
<br>
Well, according to some Italian academics .......<br>
<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Let's see, leather can be penetrated at 30 J, elephant hits at over 1500 J and the result is, ah screw it I suck at physics. <p></p><i></i>
Don't forget the<br>
Flaming Arrows,<br>
<br>
Napalm carrying Ballistae and Onager projectiles<br>
<br>
and Very hot women wielding Non period swords and wearing "booby armour"<br>
<br>
But hey It's Vin Diesel, every woman under the age of 40 is guranteed to go see it in the theatre. <p></p><i></i>
Quote:</em></strong><hr>The Romans killed Hamilcar Barca?<hr><br>
<br>
Yup, just like they killed Prasutagus, according to Mel Gibson. <p>Homo Homini Lupus Every Man is a Wolf to Another Man</p><i></i>

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hannibal -- The Vin Diesel Film Project Narukami 5 1,709 12-31-2012, 12:26 AM
Last Post: markusaurelius
  News: HBO\'s Rome IS to be made as a film ParthianBow 8 1,913 11-21-2010, 10:21 PM
Last Post: M. Demetrius
  Sequel Of The Titans -- The Latest News Narukami 1 905 07-30-2010, 01:19 AM
Last Post: Dithrambus