Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Problems staying logged in
Since about two weeks, the site doesn't recognize me when I come back. I've activated the option and my computer allows cookies, but even if I only leave the site and not close the computer, I'm logged out upon return. This is a problem because when I have to log in every time, I can't use the View Posts Since Last Visit option, it always says there's no new posts (what I don't believe after an absence for 24 hours :wink: ).

And without that option, it's almost impossible to navigate such a huge site.
[Image: Atrectus.jpg]
centurio pilus prior cohortis Primus Tungriorum peditata
AKA Gabriele Campbell
Try clearing your cache & deleting the RAT cookie.
And, btw, please use (at least) your real first name in your signature.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Is that a new rule about the real names?

I don't use my real name on the net AT ALL, not even in my blog. And sorry, but I won't make an exception here; I participate in a dozen forums an no one ever asked me to use my real name. As long as I don't use the net for illegal purposes, some amount of privacy should be protected. With google and all that, I want to be on the controlling end of how much I give away.
AKA Gabriele Campbell
Quote:Is that a new rule about the real names?
I'm not sure if it was already a rule on the old RAT, but we (try to) enforce is since RAT was moved to its current location.
I can understand your ideas about privacy, but that goes both ways, we think. After all, we don't ask for a full name and your address and bank account number Big Grin , but a (real) first name as a minimum. Is that too much too ask?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
No, it's a new rule on RAT v2, and we're talking about your real first name only. No use for anyone to find out who you are.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Quote:Try clearing your cache & deleting the RAT cookie.

Although I've done this the problem remains Sad

Is there anything else I can try, Jasper :?:
Jaime
What browser do you use?
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
This is weird...

I didn't have the problem at the beginning, but a few days aggo the individual messages in threads started no longer being flagged 'new' (the threads still showed 'new message', just the messages inside were all white). And just now I got thrown out twice, and had to log in to write this reply.

I'm using Konqueror running on SuSe Linux, and I hope that's not the problem. It worked fine before.
Der Kessel ist voll Bärks!

Volker Bach
Well, the latest update to 2.0.18 (about 2 weeks ago) did alter the login process a bit, that's why I recommend everyone clear their cache and delete the old RAT cookie. For Windows & Mac users, Firefox seems to perform best. I don't know enough about Konqueror to say what might be wrong there.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
How do you delete a specific cookie? I've only found the option to delete the entire cache, and I so don't want to go there because of all those password sites (don't even remember the passwords to some of them :wink: )

I use Internet Exploder, btw.
AKA Gabriele Campbell
Well, it has that name for a reason :wink:
If you delete the entire cache on IE, you should not lose your passwords, they are in the privacy settings, somewhere else. Cookies: there is a cookie folder for IE, look for those called romanarmy and delete them. They are simple text files.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Quote:
Atrectus:2zqg6xb8 Wrote:Is that a new rule about the real names?
I'm not sure if it was already a rule on the old RAT, but we (try to) enforce is since RAT was moved to its current location.
I can understand your ideas about privacy, but that goes both ways, we think. After all, we don't ask for a full name and your address and bank account number Big Grin , but a (real) first name as a minimum. Is that too much too ask?

Ok, I used my pen name (which included my real first name) on the old board and changed to an alias because of a stalker. That stalker now is in jail (nor for stalking me, that's no crime in Germany) but for other nasty things, so I can go back to adding my pen name, it's the most officially online identity I have.

Though personally, I don't care by what names people run around on the net, or if it's humans at all and not aliens as long as they aren't trolls and disturb a forum. Big Grin
AKA Gabriele Campbell
Quote:
If you delete the entire cache on IE, you should not lose your passwords,

should not and what really happens are two different things :wink: I deleted the cache once and lost about two thirds of the passwords, though all the passwords connected to the FM writer's forums remained intact. Weird. My four year old niece has a better understanding of logic than some computer programs. Big Grin
AKA Gabriele Campbell
I sometimes lose my login when I reply to a post, close the Firefox window (that's my choice of setup), or start a new thread (possibly someone's trying to tell me something :wink: Jasper?). To be honest, I don't mind as it means I'm not left logged in unwittingly; I just re-log in.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Atrectus, thanks for sharing your pen name.
Tarbicus, I once had your problems, but the connection seems much more secure these days. Today the forum seemed to be stuck, new pages would suddenly not load nor did I manage to post a reply (censorship? :roll: ). But when I re-staerted IE again, my login had not lapsed.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)