Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Exhibitions in Karlsruhe and Stuttgart
There is a double exhibition about the Romans in Germania in Karlsruhe and Stuttgart. They are entitled Rome's Provinces at Neckar, Rhine and Danube, and Romans, Christians, Alamans - Late Antiquity at the Upper Rhine. Unfortunately, the descriptions are in German only, but I think there's an English audio guide avaliable. Karlsruhe has the Silver Treasure of Kaiseraugst as highlight, and the Stuttgart one is pretty large with several interesting features including a Mithras shrine and demonstrations of crafts on some days (when I was there it was shieldmaking, bone carving, and naalbinding)

For those who read German, I'll also recommend the catalogues which are avaliable at the Theiss Verlag (click on Austellungskataloge) and which contain a number of essays besides the pictures.

I'm going to post a bit about my visit on my blog the next weeks and link it here.

It's only an hour by train from Karlsruhe to Stuttgart, and Karlsruhe is at the French border. So if anyone lives close enough, I'd recommend it. Smile
[Image: Atrectus.jpg]
centurio pilus prior cohortis Primus Tungriorum peditata
AKA Gabriele Campbell
I've seen this exhibitions announced a couple of weeks ago when I visited Stuttgart. Maybe it's interesting to know that the Stuttgart museums are nice; the Lapidarium is really great and so is the Castle.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website