Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
padded armour among byzantines
what evidence do we have for padded armour among the byzantines c. 6th-7th centuries?, I would imagine it would have been in use, since vikings of this era wore it.

I posted this here because byzantium was greek speaking, so I figured this is closer than roman
aka., John Shook
Byzantine manuals talk about "Pambakion" that the texts refer that was worn under armor and I think that it is Xifias who coments that it is good protection evenwithout "lorikion".
Pambakion from VAMVAX-greek for coton. Loricion is the grecianized form of lorica for armor.
"Epiloricia" are mentioned too - coton or leather worn over armor.
Possibly the bulk of Komnenan and Palaologan infantry wore only the pambakion.
Hope I helped
Kind regards
Stefanos
are there any indications as to the construction of this type of thing???

Gratias Pro tibi consilium
aka., John Shook
Have a look at http://www.levantia.com.au/ to start with. From the Militaria page there's a link to "Kremasmata, Kabadion, Klibanion:
Some aspects of middle Byzantine military equipment reconsidered" that appeared in Byzantine and Modern Greek Studies; and some reconstructions of equipment, of which that of a "Roman" infantryman illustrates and discusses the felt kabadion.
cheers,
Duncan
Thanks Duncan,
I will check. I was about to offer Osprey´s Byzantine armies as a visual aid but it seems might be obsolete now
Kind regards
Stefanos
what evidence do we have for the coif in the 6th-7th century???

I know we have evidence for one from the frescoe in dur europos, but what about for byzantines???

Thanks stefanos, you rule!!!!
aka., John Shook
The Ospry Romano-Byzantine armies give alist of references that I cannot verify. I will try to check in the Byzantine museun in Athens but I am not hopeful.
Kind regards
Stefanos
thanks, I have to think that if the romans used them, and some other contemporaries used them, then the byzantines must have, but I am still not satisfied with the "they must have" thought, I need something that says "they almost certainly did".

VALE
aka., John Shook