Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Article - Physics meets archaeometry
Couldn't see it listed in the rest of the forum so here you go:

Physicsweb article

Quote:an art historian at the museum, suggested that the helmet was made by beating out a single lump of bronze -- a technique that was so efficient that it was still being used in Italy in the 15th century -- but he also suspected that the nose-guard of the helmet might date from much later.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Greetings,
I can't find a photo of this particular helm....I am wondering if it was simply added to replace an obviously broken off nasal...?
Is it just me, or do there seem to be more Greek helmets surviving in fairly good condition than Roman and would this be as a result of Romans melting down old helms or totally reworking them...to keep up with fashion :roll: ?
This is interesting, because it may now be able to tell us when that is the case and we may find that some of the existing helms have had different cheek flaps added or removed for example.
I have found some rather interesting things at the Manchester Museum....!
regards
Arthes
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-