Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Interesting computer reconstructions of Roman battle ships
Avete omnes,

I just wanted to show You these nice depictions that I found in the internet, both pictures can be enlarged. Both reconstructions are obviously based on line drawings from H.D.L. Viereck 'Classis Romana - Die römische Flotte (The Roman Fleet)'. Although the first ship could need 2 additional rows of rudders ...

[url:24e33sih]http://navis.terraromana.org/v/Pool/PreviewL.jpg[/url]

[url:24e33sih]http://navis.terraromana.org/v/Pool/Preview2L.jpg[/url]

Greets - Uwe
Greets - Uwe
Interesting, but sadly Viereck's reconstructions are not the most accurate ever. What is the second ship? A Nemi ship? It's a bit strange, no ram, no aphlaston. The other one too, seems to be huuuuge if you compare it to the size of the figures. And yeah, unless the first ship is rowed by a load of rowers on one oar, it seems a little underpowered. :wink:
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
according to the text below the first ship is a quadriremis and the second ship is an enneris. Funny thing is that in the text of the second ship they mention a ram they don´t show it in the picture.

BTW, what is that enormous horse doing in front of the ship?
gr,
Jeroen Pelgrom
Rules for Posting

I would rather have fire storms of atmospheres than this cruel descent from a thousand years of dreams.
Well, if that gemma to the left is the only source...
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman mosaic floors for villa reconstructions Musivarius 0 838 07-10-2017, 06:16 AM
Last Post: Musivarius
  Roman Shoe Reconstructions Crispianus 68 27,739 04-04-2016, 06:25 AM
Last Post: Crispianus
  Allandale Roman Shoe Reconstructions MarcusNorwood 5 1,785 02-10-2015, 06:42 AM
Last Post: Gunthamund Hasding