Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Greek footwear
Greetings,all.

An earlier thread caused me to pose this question.
What was the footwear of the early Greek soldiers?
I know, it depends on the time period, but generally.
Most often I think of the open-toed boot type of sandals worn
by Steve Reeves or Richard Burton but once again that's movies.
I realize many people went barefoot but a soldier marching
many miles hopefully had some form of protection.
I know of a Greek type sandal that's mostly a sole-thong
laced around the foot.Would this be close?
(I bet Stefanos knows this)
Thanks.
Andy Booker

Gaivs Antonivs Satvrninvs

Andronikos of Athens
IPODHMA = Greek for footware, usually means shoe but in ancient times it ment more. (literaly under the foot)

The term sandal is Greek. Open toed "kaliga type" sandals were the norm.
Bronze age sandals have been reconstructed by Mathew Amt. They do not seem to appear frequently in later art so most scholars reject them for classical period.

A more closed version of shoe named Karvatina. A good reconstruction existed at Togaman's site. Xenophon mentions frostbitten troops who wore karvatina without shocks.

For the boots check my posting on the Ifikrateans.
Thrakean boots were also available. Hoplites of the Krimean colonies needed and certainly used Skythian boots in winter.
Hopllits of the Iberian colonies were aquainted with the spanish straw snadals.
A type of felt shock that some claim apears on pottery depictions was available. Speculating is rife because potery images are not in good condition and paint has been scrached off
Goat wool shocks are water proof. They were issued in the Greek army until 1940.
"Sunny Greece" is only in spring and summer. We get winters too you know. The "Harvest-Grapegathering-War" was practished in the Archaic Era but after the Pelopenesian war campaighning season changed drastically.
Barefoot the scholars say but themselves don't face the prospect of guard duty on a Phokean fort were in winter temperatures drop below zero, or do they suggest that in winter posts were left unguarded.
Soft soles scholars say but what is there to tell us that exclusively soft soles existed?
Hope I helped.
Kind regards
Stefanos
Hoplite14,
Do you have any pics of these shoes?
Thanks,
Johnny
Johnny Shumate
Carbatina pic:
http://www.unc.edu/courses/rometech/pub ... shoes.html

Xenophon: "KARVATINAE PEPOIEMENAE EK NEODARTON VOON" verse where
the 10000 enter the land on the Carduchians

Dan_Z in this forum has posted reconstructed Thracian boots. He told its modified minnetonka staff.

Osprey "Greek Hoplite" or "Ancient Greeks" has the otery fragment photo of the boot and "Saprtan Army" has an exelent pictorial reconstruction of a herald wearing them.

Kind regards
Stefanos
Thanks so much,Stefanos.

I knew you would have the answer.
I am truly humbled by your scholarly response.

Now the problem of more questions arise
from your answer.
Much thanks,also, for the pointers to how
these looked.
I've been puzzled for a while as to what was
worn with the panopoly.
Greaves seem to go in and out of style but
warriors normally need footwear. Big Grin
Andy Booker

Andronikos of Athens
You know Deepeeka now sells Greek footwear :?:

[url:12gx6y1r]http://www.deepeeka.com/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=5040[/url]

Don't know how accurate it is though :roll:
Jaime
I have a question. When we reenact ancients do we have to stick only to the syrviving pipctorial representation?
Especially in footware-assuming we use omly natural materials how much we can make our own design within a historical frame?
You views would be kindly appreciated.
Regards
Stefanos
This question comes up with regard to lots of items of which we have few exemplars. Generally, most societies tend to the view that we should re-construct of the evidence of finds or written and pictorial evidence from our period. Authenticity officers tend to get tetchy about any extrapolation from actual evidence. This means we end up with very limited ranges of footwear and clothing, for example. Given the huge variety of pictorial representations of Greek footwear, it shouldn't be a problem.

Those Deepeeka sandals don't look quite like any of the pictures I've seen, so far. How much are they? I know TimeTarts do Greek sandals at very good prices.
Thanks Paul.
I am truing to choose beteen laced "boots" or sandals. They sell some sandal copies in Monastiraki flea market. They look 90% close to pottery depictions.
I´ll see prices.
Kind regrads
Stefanos
Greetings,All!

I've seen the Deepeeka sandals but
they're not what I think of as Greek sandals.

Anyone have a web address for Time Tarts?
(I've scoured the threads here and gave up
the search.)

Actually a site called Natasha's Cafe
had some closer than most.

Thanks in advance for a lead to
the Tarts. Smile
Andy Booker

Andronikos of Athens
www.timetarts.co.uk/

Can't see anything in their shop though.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Many thanks,Jim.

Well, I guess it's back to square 1.

Is their site only for inquiries then?
Andy Booker

Andronikos of Athens
You should be able to get a contact address from the Timetarts site and ask about their sandals.

There are pictures of Greek footwear on our site, <www.4hoplites.com>.

Interesting about the flea market products, Stefanos. What's the incorrect ten per cent? If they're not unacceptably modern, I might buy a pair, myself, if you'd be willing to bring them over with you. Then again,I think I'd really like boots best.
I finaly found a shoemaker who made me an exelent pair of thracian boots.
Pics to follow.
Kind regards
here you go....

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  greek footwear drreham 3 1,628 11-30-2012, 10:29 PM
Last Post: Crispianus