Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scourging and crucifixion
That depends. If you tie him to a tree in the same miserable position (i.e. hanging on spreadeagle arms), I think the effect will be much the same, wouldn't it?

Why is this thread in References & Reviews again?
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Quote:That depends. If you tie him to a tree in the same miserable position (i.e. hanging on spreadeagle arms), I think the effect will be much the same, wouldn't it?
Possibly, if that was the case. Here's another examination of crucifixion, with sources used: users.rcn.com/tlclcms/crucify.htm
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
I think Jasper being the admin can set it where he things best.
Jim the second link was more informative.
Though the "impaled" mentioned there is another form of execution and the Roman author seems to confuse them.
The image in the HISTORIA magazine with the "tympanismos" article showed it similar to biblical crusifiction but not with nails or spikes but the death was the same as in the bloodier version of the crusifiction hense the term "tympanismos". TYMPANO is the drum in Greek.
Ancients made a distiction of honourable and dishonorable execution and crusifiction was of the second type.
Kind regards
Stefanos
Avete,

When the Empire extended citizenship to all freemen in the early 3rd C., did that instantly reduce the occurrence of crucifixion throughout the provinces ? In theory, those who were once eligible for crucifixion were at a single stroke exempted from that dire punishment.

Of course, slaves and captured barbarians were still eligible for the sentence.

But in practice, can we tell if it became more of a rare occurrence ?
Jaime
In 1993, the late father Raymond Brown published a now (deservedly) famous commentary on the passion narratives in the four gospels, The Death of the Messiah. This book is, from both a scientific and a religious point of view, one of the best books on Jesus ever written, if only because the author separates the two very clearly.

In the second volume, he discusses "The physiological causes of the death of Jesus" (pp. 1088-1092) and offers an overview of all theories that doctors have proposed, including several experiments. His final conclusion deserves to be noted:
Quote:No certitude has been reached by the various medical commentators; and while experiments in actual crucifixion may be the only way to come to higher probability, we trust that this barbarism is now safely confined to the past.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Virtual Crucifixion

Remarks by Philip on the Athenian Leaders:
Philip said that the Athenians were like the bust of Hermes: all mouth and dick. 
I thought that was something in on-line wargaming....
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:I thought that was something in on-line wargaming....

A cruel thought! :lol: I thing you can do it here? Noooo!

sorry for the confusion! Sad but this accidents make new discoveries.

Philip said that the Athenians were like the bust of Hermes: all mouth and dick. 
Apparently there's a game where a guy was doing a bit too well, and was found to be cheating. Every time thereafter that he tried to join a game on a bunch of servers they had all ganged together and crucified him Big Grin His avatar strung up with nowhere to go.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Quote:Apparently there's a game where a guy was doing a bit too well, and was found to be cheating. Every time thereafter that he tried to join a game on a bunch of servers they had all ganged together and crucified him Big Grin His avatar strung up with nowhere to go.

I think you talk about this game: Roman Victor Smile
You need download free DviX Here to see the videos Videos
Quote:First online gamer crucified in Roma Victor, a Roman themed online game. Player was punished for cheating during the current beta test for the Roman MMORPG or virtual world. The game launches on July 1st 2006.

Quote:I think you talk about this game: Roman Victor Smile
Thanks Gioi, that'd be the one.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!