Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Memoirs of a Geisha
Khairete,

I don't know how many of you have an interest in Japan, but have any of you seen the new movie "Memoirs of a Geisha" that opened yesterday?
If so, how was it?

The book was D-grade by literary standards (IMHO) and offered a narrow point of view of the willow world, but the movie could have great sets and costumes! The actresses are Chinese and the dialog will likely be overdramatic and predictable, so this movie is almost surely silly.

Still, as long as there are accurate depictions of geisha/maiko attire, hairdos, and makeup, the movie will be worth watching. If you know a lot about the world of the geisha, than you know that getting a geisha or maiko costume correct is just as difficult as putting together an accurate Greek or Roman costume. In fact, I would say that a maiko costume would be even more difficult.

Khairete,

-Aedon
Felix Lucini

It will not be long before you have forgotten all the world, and in a little time all the world will have forgotten you.
Khairete,

I finally saw the movie and found it visually pleasing but poor otherwise. All the hiearchal positions and basic lifestyle of the okiya were for the most part accurate, although accuracy in that field is not difficult to achieve. The dances (Sayuri's solo was a bit much), movements, and little etiquittes were usually correct (minor things aside as they could be blamed on the personal quirks of the individual). The Kimonos were right according to season and occasion. The makeup was toned down quite a bit and sometimes completely bogus (Full lipstick on an early Maiko!? WTF!?), as was the repetition certain hairstyles. And the actresses were Chinese...

But worst of all was the way the Geisha figure was portrayed. According to this movie, Geisha are slaves to their lifestyle. The movie made them out to be expensive whores who are condemned to an unhappy life of servitude and are reliant on their danna for income.
NOT TRUE!! Geisha chose their lovers, and it was up to the Geisha if she wanted to sell herself. She did not have any financial need for prostitution or a danna, Geisha make more than enough to support themselves. Mineko Iwaski "The Star of Gion" made something like $500,000 a year and she was a virgin until her first boyfriend when she was in her mid to late 20's.

As far as story and script, 'Memoirs of a Geisha' is C grade. After all, it was based on a D Grade novel (IMHO). But despite it all, MoaG has great visuals and it is worth watching just to see the Geisha. I recommend wearing headphones with your own music and drinking Sake while watching 'Memoirs of a Geisha.' Johann Strauss and Marilyn Manson go well with Geisha, somehow...

Khairete,

-Aedon
Felix Lucini

It will not be long before you have forgotten all the world, and in a little time all the world will have forgotten you.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Memoirs of Hadrian Celtic505 8 1,627 05-06-2009, 04:48 PM
Last Post: john m roberts