Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hoplite Shield Designs
Ignite Leonidas
[Image: parsiaqj0.png]
[size=92:7tw9zbc0]- Bonnie Lawson: proudly Manx.[/size]
Rather good interpetation of a Spartan king.
Seems someonlike Nikos artwork.
Kind regards
Quote:Rather good interpetation of a Spartan king.
Seems someonlike Nikos artwork.
Kind regards
He reminds me of a certain bearded Spartan from Melbourne.... :roll:
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
Greetings to all...

Shame on me, not seen this site/forum before!
I'm "Lupus", a pro illustrator from Athens-Hellas...

I like to share with you, few examples of my work that I did, for a PC game's mod about Ancient Hellas of Classic Age - when I was a team-developing member...
I've done several illustrations, 2D artwork and over 300 shields' symbols/designs (for Hellenic factions, Persians, Carthaginians, Etruscans...)
Here are some of them:

[Image: hegemoniaiconsfullcollection01.th.jpg]

[Image: hegemoniaiconsfullcollection02.th.jpg]

[Image: hegemoniaiconsfullcollection03.th.jpg]

These are my first collections; I've done even better new ones, for a couple of my friends that they need them, for shields' symbols on their skins for their 3D models... I made some cool t-shirts' stambs from them too!

Cheers...
aka Romilos

"Ayet`, oh Spartan euandro... koroi pateron poliatan... laia men itin provalesthe,
...dori d`eutolmos anhesthe, ...mi phidomenoi tas zoas. Ouh gar patrion ta Sparta!
"
- The Lacedaimonian War Tune -
Also, here is an example of a new symbol, used in an illustration of mine (of my FAVORITE hero, 'Dienekes' - the Lacedaimonian officer):

[Image: theherodienekis4rp.th.jpg]

Just let me know, if you like something to make for you...

Cheers...
aka Romilos

"Ayet`, oh Spartan euandro... koroi pateron poliatan... laia men itin provalesthe,
...dori d`eutolmos anhesthe, ...mi phidomenoi tas zoas. Ouh gar patrion ta Sparta!
"
If anyone wants to send me an e-mail this weekend, use the follow (of my home) :

[email protected]
aka Romilos

"
Quote:Also, here is an example of a new symbol, used in an illustration of mine (of my FAVORITE hero, 'Dienekes' - the Lacedaimonian officer):

[Image: theherodienekis4rp.th.jpg]

Just let me know, if you like something to make for you...

Cheers...

Personal emblems of this style did not exist at he classical times. The mora emblem was covering most of the shiled.
Kind regards
Khaire Lupus,
and welcome ..... Big Grin
Quote:Wait until the other discover you, they will adore you! Smile !
I don't think that will be too hard.....looking at the illustration of Dienekes... :wink:
regards
Arthes
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
Quote:Personal emblems of this style did not exist at he classical times. The mora emblem was covering most of the shiled.
Kind regards

Not quite accurated! I'm not saying that you are WRONG, but also NOT absolute exact...

[Image: laststand7vr.th.jpg]

Many illustrators (Hellenes & foreigners), based on pottery-paints & coins(MOST ACCURATE resourse to me), made some very... "close-to-reality" painting... Of course, there is ALWAYS a "however", speaking about Lacedaimonians...

Till late of 5th century and the early of 4th (when the symbols changes to a more "common" for all style - mora's symbols, army's symbols - the famous Hellenic "L", royal gaurd's symbols, etc.), each Lacedaimonian used his OWN symbol, like the rest of the Hellenes' Hoplites!
Indeed! I've done all these years huge research on the "Hoplon's" symbols, for each faction!...
Lacedaimonians used many "aggressive" symbols (wolves, boars, hawks, ravens, etc.) and many versions of their MAIN/BELOVED Gods, like Hercules, Artemis, "Dioskouroi" (like in my illustration), etc.

But... About Lacedaimonians... ANY opinion stands! Because the HUGE lack of informations! Lacedaimonians were the MOST "mysterious"/"closed"/xenophobe people of all Hellenes. They didn't used to keeping details of their lives or keeping proceedings by historics.
Very few (like Xenophon, Alkibiades or Kimon) left to live among them and they wrote their experiances; ALL DIFFERENT in many ways...
Even the Lacedaimonian ARMY FORM - an... simple "element" to study... by ALL their enemies - has been record DIFFERENT from each resourse.

For instance, according to Thucydides, Lacedaimonians were set in battle like this: 2 or 4 columns of 8 men deep (“Synskineaâ€
aka Romilos

"
No worries I am more familiar with Spartan Army than you think.
The Osprey image shows the Bull of Elos but not of the Spartans rather of the Perioikoi so is wrong for Thermopylae.
About Lakedemonian shields:
http://spartan-world.de/hoplites3.html .
Coins are not full proof because a city can circulate up to 5 different images on a coin at the same time frame.
As for pottery read my inital post at the beginig of this thread.
Kind regards.
Quote:No worries I am more familiar with Spartan Army than you think.
The Osprey image shows the Bull of Elos but not of the Spartans rather of the Perioikoi so is wrong for Thermopylae. Details on the comming articles.
About Lakedemonian shields:
http://spartan-world.de/hoplites3.html .
More details when the articles are published in a magazine here in Athens.
We start with Argos and we go to other cities.
Second stage is translation for the international public.
Coins are not full proof because a city can circulate up to 5 different images on a coin at the same time frame.
As for pottery read my inital post at the beginig of this thread.
Kind regards.

I was VERY SURE about that you are VERY familiar with the LACEDAIMONIAS, my dear countryman friend! I thought it INSTANTLY!
So, you maybe better than me and... "Dum, Spiro, Spero" and keep learning from tiny older ( Smile ) persons than me...

So, any chance of co-operations between us? I'm SO DESPERATELY want to work in SERIOUS projects, than kid-books & advertising storyboards!

Cheers my friend (and gimme an e-mail in Hellenics! I'll glad to speak with you...)
aka Romilos

"
Some other shields' symbols/designs that I did for my ex-team/PC game's mod... More detailed and on more realistic bronze shields...

Enjoy them:

[Image: shieldspatternscoloursicons0iu.th.jpg]

Cheers...
aka Romilos

"
looks cool! Which city-states are connected whith these shields?
gr,
Jeroen Pelgrom
Rules for Posting

I would rather have fire storms of atmospheres than this cruel descent from a thousand years of dreams.
Quote:looks cool! Which city-states are connected whith these shields?

Oups! Sorry about that... Some designs were common for many different city-states (for example, "Gorgo - Medousa" or "Right-turn spirals").

Well, from left to righ, above starting:

First row
----------
a) "Medousa Gorgo", Athena (probably). b) "Right-turn foot-spiral", common use. c) "Griffin", Phocea. d) "Dioskouroi", Sparta. e) "Diomedes & his immortal horse", Thrace (Hellenic city's - not Thracian).

Second row
--------------
a) "Hydra's snakes" and "Leukaspis" ("white-shield") background, Argos. b) "Satyr", Naxos island. c) "Lion's head", Leontinoi. d) "Bull-satyr", Gelas. e) "Medousa's face", common use.

Third row
-----------
a) "Right-Turn dolphin-spiral", Megara (probably). b) "Chimera", Etruscans (probably). c) "Lion's Head", Samos island. d) "Taras on dolphin holding kantharos", Taras e) "Poseidon", Boeotia.

Forth row
-----------
a) "Pegasus", Corinthos. b) "Bull's head, Eubea. c) "Gorgon's face", Athena (probably) - common use. d) "Sphinx", Thebes. e) "Hercules' club & Dioskouroi's Pilos-helmets", Sparta.

Sorry I did't put the descrpiptions...
aka Romilos

"
thanks!, this comes in handy when i will be painting my hoplite-miniature from Pegaso!
gr,
Jeroen Pelgrom
Rules for Posting

I would rather have fire storms of atmospheres than this cruel descent from a thousand years of dreams.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hoplite Shield/Panoply Color Harrisonfletch 0 974 04-02-2020, 01:28 AM
Last Post: Harrisonfletch
  Silver shield shield designs? Rizzio 0 1,494 08-15-2016, 09:29 PM
Last Post: Rizzio
  Any current works about hoplite shield devices? Condottiero Magno 2 2,260 08-11-2014, 01:01 PM
Last Post: hoplite14gr