Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Make your land like ours!
Quote:Well, here in Blighty the authorities have been trying to change the law to have people detained for 90 days without charge as an anti-terrorism need.
[size=150:3ffmdxnn]A[/size]las my friend, thi sis why you are a "subject" and I am a "citizen." A small difference in words? Well yeah, but it's also a large difference... another reason why you and I are not subject sof the same country. I am not being rude here, just stating that the US is different. Europeans are scared of the "cowboy" image and think we're all a bunch of gun-toting whackos. Ain't so... it's like Ralph said.

Anyway, I fear for your freedoms over there... sounds not good. It all comes down to people trying to change the staus quo... not only did my great grandparents come here in 1906 from Bohemia, on the other side, they came from Ireland, England and Russia among other places... they all came here to be Americans -- in doing so, they BECAME Americans. You do not become a member of a country by trying to retain your own heritage. Just my 2 silver pennies. DMV
DECIMvS MERCATIvS VARIANvS
a.k.a.: Marsh Wise
Legio IX Hispana www.legioix.org

Alteris renumera duplum de quoquo tibi numeraverunt

"A fondness for power is implanted in most men, and it is natural to abuse it when acquired." -- Alexander Hamilton

"Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress.... But then I repeat myself." ~Mark Twain

[img size=150]http://www.romanobritain.org/Graphics/marsh_qr1.png[/img]
(Oooh, Marshall, you cannot use an icky modern QR code, it is against all policies and rules.)
I think that I will agree with Mars.
If a person desides to make a new start in another land he has two choices:

I) Adopt the culture of the host and become a full member of this culture.
That does not mean that he cannot introduce aspects of his heritage to the new land but its up to the hosts to accept them.

II) Live as his culture dictates within the laws of his hosts but he must understand that he is a guest. A guest does not dictate terms to his host.
The host always can set his guest his limits and decide if he does not want to extend the guest's stay.

From what I can gather so far all posts in this topic seem to agree that a distinction should be made between immigration and illegal entry and that no guest should force terms on his host. Also laws should be enforced until changed. People also pointed out that most "exterme PC" laws were mostly executive orders rather than items voted by the citizens.
The fact that people point the obvious does not make them xenophobes and name calling does not solve the issue. Name calling simply opens the door to blood and fire.

What puzzles me more is why people in every day life fail to express their disagreement in the same civilized way that all of us have dicussed the issue so far.

Kind regards

Kind regards