Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Death of Alexander
What I know positive is that he married the eldest daughter of Dareios after he captured the Royal family at Issos. Is that the Parysatis you mentioned?
Tadjik oral tradition and Afgani oral tradition saves a lot of stories about Alexander. Some of them have an element of truth or are base possibly on true facts.
Tadjiks tell that the name Buchara-the famous karpetmaking city is a paraphrase of the Greek "POY HARAN?"= where is joy?. It is attributed to the complaining marching troops of Alexander.
I think I have posted that elsewere:
In Greek MYTHOS= tell a story not necessarily untrue.
In English the root is "tale"
Kind regards
On general principles, I'm in favour of a simple explanation of Alexander's death. One thing that persuades me against assassination theories is the shambles which followed his death. It's clear from the power struggles which followed that the inheritors of the Empire all wanted to rule the whole thing - so why, if Alexander's death was planned by someone, do we not see any evidence of pre-planning for a takeover, thereafter? (Why not poison the whole gang, while you're at it?) Or is there evidence of same?
Think I will agree Paul.
I refer to my previous posting about the "joys" of camp life at war that they are dangerous even today.
Kind regards
Khairete,
A few points of thought….:
The aim could have been to cause disruption and possibly civil war and planned so as not to raise any initial suspicion.
At the time of Alex’s death, a possible heir of both Macedonian and Persian blood was due to be born.
Perdiccas thought a decision on the succession should be made after this birth. This child would be announced as Alexander’s heir. If a boy he would have a Regent until old enough to rule.
Meleagar and the Phalanx thought that Philip Arridaeus, Alexander’s half brother should rule. Meleagar was killed and Perdiccas was promoted to the position of Regent over Philip Arridaeus, now King Phillip III and the son of Alexander, Alexander IV.
Bear in mind that Alex did have enemies amongst his own men as well as those he had recently fought and/or conquered.
There were the deaths of Philotas and Parmenion, as a result of the conspiracy.
Alex was hated by some for the assassination of his father’s old General, Parmenion who was thought to be totally innocent. There were supposedly no objections to the imprisonment or execution of Callisthenes as a result of the Page’s conspiracy charges, but probably a good many who were scared of openly supporting him.
Those who arranged the assasination of Phillip II may have still been at large.
At Alex's death his Royal ring was given to Perdiccas with the word 'kratistôi' which could have been interpretated as either 'to the strongest' or Craterus. Craterus, was at that time was the Commander of all the Macedonian forces in Europe which role he took over from Antipater.
Two of the three men who married members of the Achaemenid Royal house of Persia, Hephaestion and Alexander were now dead, Craterus was the only survivor and he had been sent out of Persia.
Now there is the fact that Alex’s body did not corrupt straight away. Is it possible that the reason Ptolemy intercepted the funeral cortege was amidst fears that Alex was not actually dead or that foul play would be or was suspected?
Hephaestion. Alex’s beloved childhood friend and maybe more, had passed away with a lingering illness. This happened not long after Alex had arranged the marriages between his soldiers and the women of Persia. Many of these men wanted to return home and marry women of their choice. After Alex’s death only a few kept their wives.
Alexander had the doctor who attended Hephaestion put to death, possibly by crucifixion, was this because he suspected something? The doctor must have had family and friends and if it was a conspiracy, others knew about it.
After Hephaestion’s death, Alex promoted Perdiccas to his position of Chiliarchos and Eumenes took over from Perdiccas.
Eumenes and Hephaestion had quite a few clashes according to Plutarch and he had sided with the Phalanx after Alex’s death..
But Hephaestion dying soon after, the king, in his grief, presuming all those that differed with Hephaestion in his lifetime were now rejoicing at his death, showed much harshness and severity in his behavior with them, especially towards Eumenes, whom he often upbraided with his quarrels and ill language to Hephaestion. But he, being a wise and dexterous courtier, made advantage of what had done him prejudice, and struck in with the king's passion for glorifying his friend's memory, suggesting various plans to do him honour, and contributing largely and readily towards erecting his monument. (Plutarch Lives)
Both Alex and Hephaestion had died after lingering illnesses that had occurred during a season of games….in Alex’s case, funeral games for Hephaestion, both these illnesses had started during drinking parties…
Iollas, the son of Antipater was rumoured to have served poison to Alex, which had been prepared by Aristotle, obviously in revenge for the death of his nephew Callisthenes. This poison was bought to Iollas by his brother Cassander, who was later responsible for the deaths of Roxane and Alexander IV as well as condemning Olympias to death...
Sources include Jona's [url:2hows36r]http://www.livius.org/aj-al/alexander/alexander00.html[/url]
regards
Arthes
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Alexander\'s death: missing piece of a puzzle Jona Lendering 12 2,936 06-15-2006, 11:33 AM
Last Post: hoplite14gr