Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Imagebase - Help needed
Romanarmy.com new style will include a new resource: a collection of Roman tombstones with depictions of the deceased soldier on them. Eventually we may also include other images, but for now we've got enough on our plate. If we manage to find them all we'll end up with at least a few hundred tombstones.<br>
For this big project we need your help. If on your travels you've taken good quality photographs of Roman tombstones with images on them, please mail them to us, including as much information on the stone as possible. At least the place where the stone was seen has to be included.<br>
If you do not posses any (good) photos, but do know of a stone that has as yet not been included, please let us know too. Someone else might be able to take that one picture!<br>
<br>
<p>Greets<BR>
<BR>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
We should add that this will also include tombstones with depictions of soldier's equipment only (e.g. sets of phalerae, helmets etc.) and that not only photos of the complete stone, but also of significant details (e.g. decoration of sword sheath, attaching of the pugio to the cingulum etc.) and close-ups of the inscription are welcome.<br>
<br>
Greetings,<br>
<br>
Martin <p></p><i></i>
now if you'd put up this message earlier i could have got you several today, I've been poking about the Roman Baths here, seeing as how I discovered I can get in for free if I tell them my postcode. I've got some questions I wanted to ask on the inscriptions, one for a cavalryman from Spain, and one for an armourer with the XXth, but i can't ask them until i can find the scrap of paper i scribbled them on. The hot mineral water stinks BTW, and there were too many tourists but seeing as i can go anytime I like i'll try to get the pictures. There was another one that seems to be of a cavalryman, but IIRC the inscription was missing, the crush was such just before lunch that i couldn't get to see it properly. <p></p><i></i>
In the name of heaven Catiline, how long do you propose to exploit our patience..
No problem if the inscription is missing. We want all (partial) tombstones. <p>Greets<BR>
<BR>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
I'll try to get you some photos ASAP then. I don't think the armourers tombstone had any image do you want that as well? there was plenty of red paint still on it tho <p></p><i></i>
In the name of heaven Catiline, how long do you propose to exploit our patience..
www.romanbaths.co.uk/rompub/finds.htm<br>
<br>
bad photo of the tombstones, I have to say I didn't see the first one at all. Presumably you can't use these because of copyright, despite the fact they aren't good enough, but it gives you an idea of what there is. <p></p><i></i>
As long as they are depictions of Roman soldiers on tombstones, we want to collect them. However, they have to be your own photos. And the museum has to allow photography. <p>Greets<BR>
<BR>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Actually the focus is on the depictions of the soldiers and their equipment, so an inscription alone will not be taken. We had some tombstones during our Mainz weekend from which only the inscription survived - and just the feet of the standing soldier who had been just above it. We decided that this was not really enough for the aim of the image bank...<br>
<br>
Greetings,<br>
<br>
Martin <p></p><i></i>