Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
POLL: a Roman Wargaming forum on Roman Army Talk?
<FONT FACE="Verdana,Arial" SIZE=2>I got an email recently from Richard Berg, the designer of SPQR and other well-known historical wargames. He rightly pointed out that wargaming promotes Roman military studies.<br>
<br>
In light of that, is there interest in creating a special forum for Roman historical wargaming on Roman Army Talk? Why?</FONT><FORM method=post action="http://p200.ezboard.com/fromanarmytalkfrm6.processVote?topicID=37.topic"><table border=0 cellpadding=3 cellspacing=0 width="55%"><tbody><tr><td><input type="radio" name="choice" value="1"><FONT FACE="Verdana,Arial" SIZE=2>No, we really don't need it; let gaming go in Off-Topic</FONT></td></tr><tr><td><input type="radio" name="choice" value="2"><FONT FACE="Verdana,Arial" SIZE=2>Yes, because I like board wargaming </FONT></td></tr><tr><td><input type="radio" name="choice" value="3"><FONT FACE="Verdana,Arial" SIZE=2>Yes, and I prefer computer wargaming</FONT></td></tr><tr><td><input type="radio" name="choice" value="4"><FONT FACE="Verdana,Arial" SIZE=2>Yes, and I am a miniatures wargaming enthusiast</FONT></td></tr><tr><td><input type="radio" name="choice" value="5"><FONT FACE="Verdana,Arial" SIZE=2>Yes, 'cause I'll try anything once!</FONT></td></tr></tbody></table><P><input type=submit value="Vote"></form><a HREF=http://p200.ezboard.com/fromanarmytalkfrm6.showMessage?topicID=37.topic&pollResults=on><FONT FACE="Verdana,Arial" SIZE=1>Show results</FONT></A> <p></p><i></i>
Cheers,
Jenny
Founder, Roman Army Talk and RomanArmy.com

We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.
-- Robert Louis Stevenson
I missed this. i think actually it could be worthwhile. there are small but active online wargaming communities, one was visiting today actually has a number of threads with regard to Marian Romans, their shield desighns, equipment, how they should be painted. For one things these guys have a lot of knowledge, and any flow of debate between different groups has go to be good, if only because it'll provoke further dscussion which has to be a good thing. One couldn't expect it to be too active i suspect, at least at first, but to risk a heresy in some respects I think many wargamers have similar aim to reenactor, just on a smaller (or larger depending on your point of view, afterall these guys can have 1:1 scalew cohorts and legions). It's also possible if not extremely likely that the next game in the Total War series is going to be based on some period of Roman history. We'll know that by the end of the week actually, they're announcing what comes next on 2nd August. If you can stick another forum on for free i'd say do it, if it needs a mod I'm happy enough doubling up. <p><i>Unless the Persians fly away like birds, hide in the earth like mice, or leap into a lake like frogs, they will never see their homes again, but will die under our arrows</i></p><i></i>
In the name of heaven Catiline, how long do you propose to exploit our patience..
I vote YES!! I am placing it under the category "I'll try anything once" but I would have prefered a category such as "Because I am curious, might learn about it and then get interested". In general I WOULD NOT try anything once! Ciao<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Jeffery Wyss
"Si vos es non secui of solutio tunc vos es secui of preciptate."
Besides it's a damn expensive hobby to try once. <p><i>Unless the Persians fly away like birds, hide in the earth like mice, or leap into a lake like frogs, they will never see their homes again, but will die under our arrows</i></p><i></i>
In the name of heaven Catiline, how long do you propose to exploit our patience..
If miniature wargaming is included, shouldn't Roman Military Modelling in general fall under this forum? There are enthousiasts on that subject here as well (saw your Roman warship on another board Marius!)<br>
<br>
Greets<br>
<br>
Jasper <p></p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Hey, Jasper, I'm going to post a bit on wargaming in the OT forum. <p><br><i>SI HOC LEGERE POTES, OPERIS BONI IN REBVS LATINIS FRVCTVOSIS POTIRI POTES.</i></p><i></i>
I have merged the News & Rules forum with the Round Table in order to create screen space for the gaming/modelling forum. Enjoy! <p></p><i></i>
Cheers,
Jenny
Founder, Roman Army Talk and RomanArmy.com

We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.
-- Robert Louis Stevenson

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Welcome to Roman Army Talk! JRSCline 12 7,467 07-29-2012, 04:42 PM
Last Post: starman2012
  roman army talk down? DanM 8 3,504 08-27-2007, 12:50 AM
Last Post: Sean Manning
  New Roman Army Talk Board Tiberius 1 1,776 11-19-2005, 11:08 PM
Last Post: Praefectusclassis