Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Ghost Stories?
I am researching roman ghost stories as I have one of my own??
Flavia:
Good luck. I say this because the Romans had a very different view of the living and the dead than we do. It seems that to them the so called spirits of the dead were never that far away. They could help or hinder ones everyday life. They were often worshipped, or at least prayed to. Sorry for the sweeping generalizations. A "visit" from a dead ancestor was a not uncommon motif amongst the romans.

The atomists, such as Lucretius explained "ghosts" in terms of atoms (De rerum natura IV, 45f, 84f, 721f).

A specific "ghost story" in the modern sense can be found in one of the leters of Pliny, letter VII, 27. Pliny's may be the best known example. This is probably the closest to what you are looking for.

Someone else, can not remember who, may be the satirist Lucian, has a number of "ghost" stories.

Kevin
There are several cases of Roman Legionarries being seen in the City of York in a basement.They appear to walk along the original road way.If i can find any further on this i will post.
Timeo Danaos et Dona ferentes

Andy.(Titus Scapula Clavicularis)
There's a "mysterious force" in Suetonius' Life of Augustus, 6.

Quote:No one ventures to enter this room except of necessity and after purification, since there is a conviction of long-standing that those who approach it without ceremony are seized with shuddering and terror; and what is more, this has recently been shown to be true. For when a new owner, either by chance or to test the matter, went to bed in that room, it came to pass that, after a very few hours of the night, he was thrown out by a sudden mysterious force, and was found bedclothes and all half-dead before the door.
(Loeb Translation)

*edit - anybody know why the link won't post correctly?*
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan
Quote:Flavia:
Good luck. I say this because the Romans had a very different view of the living and the dead than we do. It seems that to them the so called spirits of the dead were never that far away. They could help or hinder ones everyday life. They were often worshipped, or at least prayed to. Sorry for the sweeping generalizations. A "visit" from a dead ancestor was a not uncommon motif amongst the romans.

The atomists, such as Lucretius explained "ghosts" in terms of atoms (De rerum natura IV, 45f, 84f, 721f).

A specific "ghost story" in the modern sense can be found in one of the leters of Pliny, letter VII, 27. Pliny's may be the best known example. This is probably the closest to what you are looking for.

Someone else, can not remember who, may be the satirist Lucian, has a number of "ghost" stories.

Kevin
Thank you so much for replying the story I have comes from York. I had a painting of a roman soldier 1st cent armour done by an artist who was born in York England. When his 92 yr old father saw it he said I never told you but one of them used to visit me when I was a child in my bedroom and I would talk to him. His parents thought he was telling stories. When he asked the sildier what his sword wascalled he replied " Jani" a form of the word Janus the god of portals life death etc I guess What do you think?
Quote:There are several cases of Roman Legionarries being seen in the City of York in a basement.They appear to walk along the original road way.If i can find any further on this i will post.
Thanks for replying My ghost is also from York. I had a painting done of a roman soldier by a man who was born in York when his 92 year old father saw the painting he said I used to talk to one of them in my bedroom when I was a child. He apparently asked the soldier what his sword was called and the reply came back "Jani"I presume a form of Janus the god of portals, life death etc What do you think??
Quote:There's a "mysterious force" in Suetonius' Life of Augustus, 6.

Quote:No one ventures to enter this room except of necessity and after purification, since there is a conviction of long-standing that those who approach it without ceremony are seized with shuddering and terror; and what is more, this has recently been shown to be true. For when a new owner, either by chance or to test the matter, went to bed in that room, it came to pass that, after a very few hours of the night, he was thrown out by a sudden mysterious force, and was found bedclothes and all half-dead before the door.
(Loeb Translation)
Thanks for replying My ghost story comes from York I had a painting done of a roman soldier and when the artists 92 yr old father saw the painting he said that one of them used to visit him in his bedroom in teir home in York. When he asked the soldier about his sword he was told it was his "Jani" I guess a form of Janus god of portals life death etc What do you think Flavia
*edit - anybody know why the link won't post correctly?*
Ghostly Romans thread

I still maintain the Roman ghosts were probably more shocked at the sight of the plumber who eventually turned up 2000 years on :wink:
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Thats the one,the plumbers story.There is also a tale of Ghostly Legions walking across Wheeldale Moor in Yorkshire,the story goes that they were on their way south and entered Wheeldale Moor and were never seen again.They are supposed to have been swallowed up by the Bog.Its part of a walk across the North Yorkshire Moors called the Lyke Wake Walk.And have been heard and seen from time to time.
Timeo Danaos et Dona ferentes

Andy.(Titus Scapula Clavicularis)
Greetings Flavia,
Quote:
andym:32x1g0uy Wrote:There are several cases of Roman Legionarries being seen in the City of York in a basement.They appear to walk along the original road way.If i can find any further on this i will post.
Thanks for replying My ghost is also from York. I had a painting done of a roman soldier by a man who was born in York when his 92 year old father saw the painting he said I used to talk to one of them in my bedroom when I was a child. He apparently asked the soldier what his sword was called and the reply came back "Jani"I presume a form of Janus the god of portals, life death etc What do you think??
I am very interested in ghosts and the paranormal (started the ghostly Romans thread) and your story is fascinating.
I wonder if this soldier is related to a previous incarnation, or possibly he guided the artist to portray him, to let you know he was still there?
I have certain reactions in some areas of York, connected to the Romans, possibly due to a past life experience...although I love the city.
regards
Arthes
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
Quote:Greetings Flavia,
flavia:2kfytsx2 Wrote:
andym:2kfytsx2 Wrote:There are several cases of Roman Legionarries being seen in the City of York in a basement.They appear to walk along the original road way.If i can find any further on this i will post.
I am very interested in ghosts and the paranormal (started the ghostly Romans thread) and your story is fascinating.
I wonder if this soldier is related to a previous incarnation, or possibly he guided the artist to portray him, to let you know he was still there?
I have certain reactions in some areas of York, connected to the Romans, possibly due to a past life experience...although I love the city.
regards
Arthes
I know what you mean I think some of us who have this passion for romans and mine began when I was 7-8 years old must have some connection in some way with this time period, There is a guy here who I met once whose wife goes along with him about it but he is only comfortable when dressed as an ancient roman soldier and does so quite a bit of the time. Is this the screen I am to reply on are am I doing it in the wrong place.I contacted the guy who does the ghost tours of York and gave him the familys name and he was going to do more research into it and I guess perhaps adding it to his tour maybe Is this the right screen to reply ?? Flavia
Greetings Flavia,
Quote: Is this the screen I am to reply on are am I doing it in the wrong place.I contacted the guy who does the ghost tours of York and gave him the familys name and he was going to do more research into it and I guess perhaps adding it to his tour maybe Is this the right screen to reply ?? Flavia
Not sure what you are meaning here....do you mean 'thread'?
Have you seen this thread....? Strange Flashback link from old RAT
regards
Arthes
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
If you download the pdf from the York Writers website, there's an account of a ghost tour led by Harry Martindale, the man who saw the Roman Legionaries in the cellar of Treasurers House in York:

http://www.york-writers.org.uk/html/pdf.html

The article is called A City of Ghosts by Ann Mitchell, and is on page 7
Quote:Thats the one,the plumbers story.There is also a tale of Ghostly Legions walking across Wheeldale Moor in Yorkshire,the story goes that they were on their way south and entered Wheeldale Moor and were never seen again.They are supposed to have been swallowed up by the Bog.Its part of a walk across the North Yorkshire Moors called the Lyke Wake Walk.And have been heard and seen from time to time.
Hi thanks for the info. I wonder if they were soldiers of the 9th I believew that was the legion that disappeared? Flavia
Quote:Flavia:

Kevin
Thanks for the info I will look them up. I hear in one place in England roman soldiers are seen to walk into the sea perhaps on an ancient roman road and in another place a lone sentry is seen still on duty after all this time. I find there stories fascinating especially that they are seen in todays times. Flavia

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman Judeo stories kevin 1 812 11-21-2013, 09:50 AM
Last Post: jvrjenivs