Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who supplied what ?
Hi

Am I taking over this section ??? 8)

I have read that arms and armour were supplied at the event rather than brought along ( rather like boxing gloves today ) so that their sharpness etc could be controlled.

This would require a high level of standardisation in cutting implements as a sword which is differently balanced from that you train with could cost you your life .

This would be opposite with helmets as a badly fitting helmet would be as much trouble as a duff sword. Can you imagine a Secutor's helmet which did not fit quite right :oops: A large selection of helmets would be needed unless off the peg Gladiators were the norm ?

How sure can we be that each Familia did not have thier own kit handed over for inspection before the games ?
Conal Moran

Do or do not, there is no try!
Yoda
Hi Conal,

Quote:I have read that arms and armour were supplied at the event rather than brought along ( rather like boxing gloves today ) so that their sharpness etc could be controlled.

could you cite your source, please?

TIA,

Martin
Once again, we don't know much for sure. According to Plutarch, the gladiators who broke out from the ludus of Batiatus near Capua had only kitchen knives and spits when they made their break, and that they looted a wagonful of weapons being taken to a nearby town for the games. They exchanged these for military arms at the first opportunity.
The gladiator barracks at Pompeii yeilded a large number of items of armor and some weapons, but it is probable that this was not a school (except at Rome, gladiatorial schools were usually located outside the towns, not in them). Hence the term "barracks" used for the facility at Pompeii. It was probably the place where the gladiators stayed and trained when they were in town for the munera. So it is likely that the arms and weapons belonged to the town. Whether this system prevailed elsewhere in the empire is guesswork.
Pecunia non olet
I have always heard that the lanista covered the cost of the weapons and training of the individual gladiators when they entered a school.
-thanks for reading.

Sean
Martin

Cant find the source .. ... too many books !!

John

What is interesting ref Spartacus is that at time of his hooligan adventure how different was Gladiator gear from that of Legionaires ? Why then would they exchange rather than augment ?

My view would be that Thracian/ Hoplo shields would be of limited use in a large scrap but Gaul/Samnite kit would be useful.

It is more likely the number of Gladiator weapons which needed augmenting as other slaves joined in.

Conal
Conal Moran

Do or do not, there is no try!
Yoda