Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Women in your groups?
I am not against women fighting, or in the roles of soldiers, but I prefer more civilian participation anyway, we don't have enough civilians. Remember, the number of men in the roman army probably rarely/never topped the population of the city of rome alone. It is like today, most people weren't in the military. I would also say however that some fellows, not necessarily out of shape or old (I knew a guy who served with the wermacht in russia who was 260 lbs. 6' 1", and dropped only to 240 during service) but strong looking young men to portray farmers or laborers. we are also missing slaves, which is an impression I am thinking about doing.

in all, if a woman wants to fight let her, but it would be better tohave her, and a couple of men in the group, do civilian instead.
aka., John Shook
The women in our group which want to fight is introduced in a role as gladiatrix soon.
My own wife is a civilian and like it. She dont have the need to fight or walk around in armour which cries for some maintains.
And thats it. We offer only these possibilities to women in our group. Either the historical roles or none.

And i agree to Ambiorix, that we miss more civilians (also male). I m more impressed by a good civilian than a good military.

I also cant see how it would be possible to give hundreds of euro, hours and work in the equipment to do it quite authentically like possible, just to "relive" it non-authentically.
That sounds hard, but thats just how we do it our group. We respect the opinions and kind to handle it of other groups.

Just in a single way, i do have a problem with women in uniform: on educationally events, like in museums, "roman days" or school visits. There the target is to show the visitors the possible of "how it was, looked like and was handled" and i think there are really enough others compromises and necessaries to modern times, to avoid that.
But, all in all, its just my opinion and i cant force it to others. Huh...i hope its clear what i tried to say.
real Name Tobias Gabrys

Flavii <a class="postlink" href="http://www.flavii.de">www.flavii.de
& Hetairoi <a class="postlink" href="http://www.hetairoi.de">www.hetairoi.de
Tobias,
Maybe only a few of us perceive that a good civilian impression is as important or more than a military one. What I have noticed is that civilians (no matter how much researched and authentic) are practically 'invisible' for the public and the media when there are sme fellows wearing shiny armour nearby... :x
I've experienced it on myself. Even if I portrait a military officer, I do it in the unarmoured condition and I've consistently noticed that my companions wearing loricae and helmets always draw the attention!
I think that it is a plausible reason (not the only one, of course!)for women wanting to play military roles...
The two women in our group were enlisted as soldiers first but they have chosen to play now civilian and only return to the uniforms when we have too many gaps in our ranks. No matter if historically uncorrect, we're in this hobby mainly for fun and if the women want to play male roles, who are us to say 'no'? 8)

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Quote:No matter if historically uncorrect, we're in this hobby mainly for fun and if the women want to play male roles, who are us to say 'no'? 8)

Aitor

Bravo, Aitor!!!! Big Grin
Salve Aitor,
yes i know what you mean. As long as some metal on metal sounds at an event if will take all visitors to that corner.
But its also a question how and what to do. My experience is the same as you would have, but i ve seen that children would also have fun if they can try what the civilians doing there also.
Its quite more boring to watch how somebody use the molae than to train, and the explanaitons about clothing are not of interest especially in relation to weapons.
And if we are honest, that was the same for us as beginners in hobby as well.
But as i tried to say, there a possibilities to make it for the people more interesting. Let them be interactive. I ve seen how many people were impressed and watch for a while the stone-cutter of the one of the COH XVI here in Germany. And i see the many visitors which come to musica romana, and i have seen how many people liked it to test roman plays (roundmill and so on) or watched the declaration of war in Xanten or the mostly short presentations or religious actings.

There are possibilities to impress the visitors (not all, there are always enough of em which wouldnt be impressed by a real haruspix). If the soldiers also only stand beside a door and wouldnt say a word or just explain how long their tunica must be, it also would bored themselves up.

And your last sentence is true. It is a hobby, as i said, and if its not a try to educate their isnt that problem at all, even if someone wear a Niedermörmter helmet in 1st century Wink But thats not the part i ment.
In the full place of the hobby theres enough space for everyone and everyones attitude, and no one has to disadvantage, attack or insult otherone for that. Thats fact.
What i ment was more the point, that for educational reasons many do a lot of work and invest many money to give a most detailed and authentically look back to time as far as possible. And thats the point where i dont understand why a gladiatrix wouldnt be acceptable as "fighting presentation" for woman like soldiers.
While a group do it for fun in an own event there isnt this reason, just an opinion like i explained in first posting.
By the way, its really hard to discuss that difficulty theme with my bad english, but i hope i am understandable.
real Name Tobias Gabrys

Flavii <a class="postlink" href="http://www.flavii.de">www.flavii.de
& Hetairoi <a class="postlink" href="http://www.hetairoi.de">www.hetairoi.de
Quote:Ah, ok. thanx Mithras!
[Image: ht_charge.gif]
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Cute, Robert, cute! :lol:

BTW: I've PM'd you.
~ Paul Elliott

The Last Legionary
This book details the lives of Late Roman legionaries garrisoned in Britain in 400AD. It covers everything from battle to rations, camp duties to clothing.
Quote:
FAVENTIANVS:1ff0gcx2 Wrote:Ah, ok. thanx Mithras!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
[Image: 120px-Septimani_seniores_shield_pattern.svg.png] [Image: Estalada.gif]
Ivan Perelló
[size=150:iu1l6t4o]Credo in Spatham, Corvus sum bellorum[/size]
Quote:FAVENTIANVS wrote:
Ah, ok. thanx Mithras!
:lol:

I'm starting to wish I'd seen this display!

I was surprised and pleased to find that everyone in Comitatus has a living history exhibit role, at least displaying some high quality replicas, but mostly to demonstrate and explain a craft.

Again, this takes some licence, perhaps - if we imagine everyone in a tented camp with several families has a trade, perhaps they step into another role as many go off for a military display, but it means many more opportunities to reveal everyday - not necessarily just civilian - life to the public.

My main problem is that I last did such crafts when I was in school & I'm still looking for something easy to join in with! :?

Any suggestions welcome - whittling hobbyhorses? :wink:
Salvianus: Ste Kenwright

A member of Comitatus Late Roman Historical Re-enactment Group

My Re-enactment Journal

~ antiquum obtinens ~
Tobias,
I understand your point an I agree basically with you (In the end, I am taken for being a darned perfectionist! Tongue ) but what re-enactment needs direly is volunteers and we cannot afford to loose a woman just because she wants to play a male role... 8)

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Quote:My main problem is that I last did such crafts when I was in school & I'm still looking for something easy to join in with! :?

Any suggestions welcome - whittling hobbyhorses? :wink:

Seriously - have you considered cosmetics and pharmaceuticals? It's dead easy to do - the hard part is finding the ingredients and redacting the recipes - and it does tend to get attention, especially from female visitors.

I've started looking into it coming from the cooking corner, and it is quite a fascinating topic.
Der Kessel ist voll Bärks!

Volker Bach
like I said, we really need some good fuctioning civilians.
aka., John Shook
Quote:[size=150:2mhdkm1h]Come on Ladies get a book like this, & feed that Warrior spirit that you have in your soul! 8) [/size]

[Image: woman.jpg]

Who is this supposed to be? Empress Matilda?
Der Kessel ist voll Bärks!

Volker Bach
Quote:
Comerus Gallus Romus:3tnxps1x Wrote:[size=150:3tnxps1x]Come on Ladies get a book like this, & feed that Warrior spirit that you have in your soul! 8) [/size]

[Image: woman.jpg]

Who is this supposed to be? Empress Matilda?

I dunno I just bought it for my wife 10 minutes ago, but that I think goes back to the Amazons up to middle age I think.

Also she tryed my segmentata & she love it :wink:

Remarks by Philip on the Athenian Leaders:
Philip said that the Athenians were like the bust of Hermes: all mouth and dick. 
I've got this book, and it's:

Matilda, Countess of Tuscany

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Countess_Matilda

Other women covered are:

Amazons of the ancient world
Amazons of the jungle (Brazil and Dahomey)
Artemisia and Zenobia
Medb, Cartimandua & Boudica
Aethelflaed, (Matilda of Tuscany) Eleanor of Aquitaine
Jeanne of Montfort, Christine de Pisan, Joan of Arc