Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Abandonment of the Gladius for the Spatha - Why?
Quote:The point here is, folks, not about a point and a good balance, but about the lack of a cross-guard on all known spathae (these are first starting to develop on Anglo-Saxon swords). Any blow glancing off from the blade to your hand will immediately take off your top two knuckles from at least a few fingers. All Late Romans who I discussed this with agrees on that so far. Which is another reason why there is far less swordplay in Late Roman re-enactment. If any, then always with gloves, or not at all. Not just for safety, for necessity. Viking swords have cross-guards, or at least small ones.

Well, I agree that there is not a cross-guard on the spatha. I disagree to that you would loose your fingers at any glancing blow. I just tried to deflect a few blows and stabs and if you do it with the flat as I been instructed to do by medieval manuals the guard on my sword stopped the two glancing blows that I received.

I don´t want to slander or demise the fun in re-enactment fighting here, but it is NOT real fighting. In it´s own right as a form of theatrical show it is very good and in some ways as a sport but it´s not the real deal.

This is the very reason why We are starting our group, to find out how the weapons respond to deflecting and blocks and what is the most efficient way to use them. And it is also a necessity to know this things in addition to the archaeological finds and historical sources to understand a development as the one we discuss here. At least IMHO Tongue

I hope i did not offend anybody with my rather untested argument earlier.

Messages In This Thread
Re: The Abandonment of the Gladius for the Spatha - Why? - by Martin Wallgren - 01-17-2006, 11:17 PM
connolly\'s banal theory - by Goffredo - 04-10-2006, 08:44 AM
connolley on shortness - by Goffredo - 04-10-2006, 10:02 AM
how about - by Goffredo - 04-10-2006, 11:24 AM
East & West - by Celer - 07-27-2006, 03:42 PM
of course, unlikely - by Goffredo - 07-29-2006, 06:11 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gladius-Spatha/Contus Legate 7 1,245 03-05-2019, 03:27 AM
Last Post: Paullus Scipio
  Update on the Spatha and Gladius fighting techniques! Martin Wallgren 96 29,858 08-14-2014, 10:02 PM
Last Post: john m roberts
  Difference in Spatha Legions vs Gladius Imperium 15 10,494 04-20-2011, 05:05 PM
Last Post: M. Demetrius