Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Abandonment of the Gladius for the Spatha - Why?
Huh? I wasn't referring to the fighting crouch with reference to that passage, just the practice of kneeling and resting Shields on the ground and its suitability in combat (i.e. looking for some occasion when it might be useful and attested). I suppose this mirrors the passage in Vegetius to which I was referring and to which Richard apparently had access:

"The triarii, according to their method of discipline, rested in time of action on one knee, under cover of their shields, so that in this position they might be less exposed to the darts of the enemy than if they stood upright; and also, when there was a necessity for bringing them up, that they might be fresh, in full vigor and charge with the greater impetuosity."

Sounds like a similar defensive formation, suitable for defending against missiles. The article at My Armoury referenced above suggests some combination of the fighting crouch and 'shield resting on the ground' for an offensive formation. Where this idea comes from I have no idea, which is what I was speculating about...

So:

Fighting Crouch with shield raised ~ I have no problem with this.
Fighting Crouch with shield resting on the ground ~ I find hard to believe as an offensive tactic.
Kneeling and resting shield on the ground to resist missile attack ~ This seems likely to me as a static defense and is attested. Certainly useful in conjunction with one's own missile troops. Possibly also useful to resist cavalry attack if used in conjunction with Spears.

Matthew James Stanham
It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after one\'s own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350), Tsurezure-Gusa (1340)

Messages In This Thread
connolly\'s banal theory - by Goffredo - 04-10-2006, 08:44 AM
connolley on shortness - by Goffredo - 04-10-2006, 10:02 AM
how about - by Goffredo - 04-10-2006, 11:24 AM
Re: The Abandonment of the Gladius for the Spatha - Why? - by Matthew - 04-13-2006, 09:45 PM
East & West - by Celer - 07-27-2006, 03:42 PM
of course, unlikely - by Goffredo - 07-29-2006, 06:11 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gladius-Spatha/Contus Legate 7 1,245 03-05-2019, 03:27 AM
Last Post: Paullus Scipio
  Update on the Spatha and Gladius fighting techniques! Martin Wallgren 96 29,859 08-14-2014, 10:02 PM
Last Post: john m roberts
  Difference in Spatha Legions vs Gladius Imperium 15 10,496 04-20-2011, 05:05 PM
Last Post: M. Demetrius