Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Abandonment of the Gladius for the Spatha - Why?
well i dont know if it was for certa, im just inquiring, i read it on wikipedia if i remember correctly. just because along curved blade(which has greater cutting power-hence the curve, proper technique applied mind you) has a greater range doesnt mean that there arent techniques used close in, minutia in technique, short subtle movements, not saying this is possible really with the likes of the claymore, ive never seen it atleast, but katana and falx, most definetly, well okay i wont speak for the falx just yet but its more than likely. and as to a lucky blow, ever see what katana forged of moderate skill can do, not that id want to pass my cutting edge through a scuta, ouch!!! as for getting stuck by another legionary, shield or no shield thats just as likely in a melee, hell dacian, thracian, or roman just as likely to get stuck in that regard. i wish i had me a well crafted falx to play with i want to see what she can do, i do know, again fromt the same source, that the dacians used the falx in such a way that the legions made some changes to their armor, seems there was use of a nasty hook and pull tactic, that and the hooked blade as it was was easy to get in around the shields, more so than say a spear or spatha
-Jason

(GNAEVS PETRONIVS CANINVS, LEGIIAPF)

"ADIVTRIX PIA FIDELIS"

Messages In This Thread
connolly\'s banal theory - by Goffredo - 04-10-2006, 08:44 AM
connolley on shortness - by Goffredo - 04-10-2006, 10:02 AM
how about - by Goffredo - 04-10-2006, 11:24 AM
East & West - by Celer - 07-27-2006, 03:42 PM
of course, unlikely - by Goffredo - 07-29-2006, 06:11 AM
Re: The Abandonment of the Gladius for the Spatha - Why? - by GNAEVS PETRONIVS CANINVS - 07-29-2006, 09:12 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gladius-Spatha/Contus Legate 7 1,245 03-05-2019, 03:27 AM
Last Post: Paullus Scipio
  Update on the Spatha and Gladius fighting techniques! Martin Wallgren 96 29,858 08-14-2014, 10:02 PM
Last Post: john m roberts
  Difference in Spatha Legions vs Gladius Imperium 15 10,494 04-20-2011, 05:05 PM
Last Post: M. Demetrius