Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which Osprey title is this plate from ?
Hi C.G.Romus.

Quote:Mr. Graham, are you are talking about this franks?
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y199/C ... icture.jpg

I did not realize that when I described a painting by Mc Bride with Germanic warriors amongst Roman ruins that he had painted a number of versions on that theme. Sorry C.G.R that is another version, possibly from a Concord publication I guess. No, I am sure that the picture I mean has never been published in any book only the Military Illustrated article. It shows two mounted Germans with a third sitting in the foreground. They are surrounded by broken Roman columns upon one of which sits the trademark bird!

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
OK, OK, I understand this won't go away until I scan it.. :lol:
So here 't is:

[Image: germanics_small.jpg]
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Ooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhh!!!! :o o o o
[Image: 120px-Septimani_seniores_shield_pattern.svg.png] [Image: Estalada.gif]
Ivan Perelló
[size=150:iu1l6t4o]Credo in Spatham, Corvus sum bellorum[/size]
Hi Robert,

this is the picture I asked Arthes for some time ago - she had the head of the left warrior as her avatar then and I didn't know it at all. So does this mean, that it had never been part of an Osprey, Montvert, Concord-publication?

Greets - Uwe
Greets - Uwe
This picture of the goths amongst ruins is published only in the book "Warriors & Warlords; The Art of Angus McBride" with foreword by Martin Windrow. It is a large hardback and published by Osprey.....

Hope this helped,
regards,
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Greetings,
I had not seen the full picture myself until now....just that the head was of a cavalryman....as Faventianus said....ooooohhhhhhhh!
regards
Arthes
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
Quote:Hi Robert,
this is the picture I asked Arthes for some time ago - she had the head of the left warrior as her avatar
I know Big Grin I'm the guy who scanned all these avatars.....

Quote:So does this mean, that it had never been part of an Osprey, Montvert, Concord-publication?
Nope it wasn't. Ever.
Want a large-sized version? PM me. Big Grin [/quote]
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Aha! - Robert, since it was you that made the avatars, perhaps you could tell me where you found this one?:

[Image: avatar37.jpg]

Regards - Nathan
Nathan Ross
[Image: 9623616082.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg]
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Yet again! Clearly this book is a fountain of wonders and I should get it at once.

Thanks Robert!

- Nathan
Nathan Ross
Nathan,

You really should, IMHO it is one of the best books illustrated by McBride, nearly every picture (20 large pictures covering a side each!) is a splendid model for a diorama Big Grin

Greets - Uwe
Greets - Uwe
[amazon]Imperial Rome at War by Martin Windrow, Angus McBride[/amazon]. Rather expensive though...
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
How much - flippin heck!!! I paid about £15 for mine - although admittedly it was about 4 years ago.

Andrew
The links to European sites don't seem to work. It's listed here at £14.99, which seems reasonable. I shall place an order forthwith...
Nathan Ross
You will not regret it. My favorite picture is on page 22-23 "Auxiliaries of a Cohors Equitata in action, Northern Britain c.118AD. Although it seems to me the action is pretty much over...

Andrew

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Osprey Title:Imperial Roman Naval Forces 31 BC - AD 500 Gaius Julius Caesar 3 2,169 12-12-2009, 05:40 PM
Last Post: Caius Valens
  Next Osprey warrior title Robert Vermaat 45 8,647 03-21-2007, 06:19 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar
  Which Book title is this plate from ? gie 6 2,140 06-08-2006, 02:50 AM
Last Post: Comerus Gallus