Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which Osprey title is this plate from ?
Avete omnes,

this is a very interesting topic with very different aspects. And I can add a beautiful painting of the Italian artist Guiseppe Rava who - for me newly -works as military illustrator. Two Roman-time paints:

link from old RAT
Title: Venus Victrix ! Giulio Cesare a Munda - 45 a.C.

link from old RAT
Title: Limes Germanicus - Le legioni dell'impero

I like specially the first one that could be a fine model for a diorama and makes my fingers tingle ...

Gioi Comerus,

the card board paintings are from the Russian plastic soldiers manufacturer 'Zvezda' and I like them very much, too. And the miniatures themselves (scale 1 : 72) are so nice that I myself who always worked in 1 : 32 only (may-be You know this from RAT's modeling and gaming sub-forum: link from old RAT), have decided to make some little dioramas with these fantastic soft plastic soldiers.

BTW, the painting above are obviously for sale:

[url:3b6vq7u8]http://www.militaryart.it/galleria1.cfm?periodo=1&fase=2&nomeperi=Ancient[/url]

Robert, Virilis Finlandicus,

I totally agree with Your opinion about Angus McBride, he is a highly gifted painter but his last publications lack the enthusiasm of his earlier works. Very good (from the view of painting) also his works for Concord about the 'Ancient Celts' and 'Barbarians'. BTW, I think the birds in the background are something of a characteristic signature in his pictures.

Graham (Mr. Sumner),

Your books belong to my favorite illustrations too (I have - of course - "Roman Military clothing 1 - 3" and "Roman Army - Wars of the Empire"). I like specially how You show clothing as it "hangs" on the body with all its folds and not in such an "idealized" way, that was - in my eyes -revolutionary and realistic and I wished, I would have the talent to convert this in the model soldier's reconstruction.

I still have a question. IIRC are You or have been a member of the Auxiliary branch of Ermine Street Guard ("the Gentleman from the rear of the column") and I met the "Guard" at the great reenactment event in Xanten last year. They had an information tent with large boards and the latter displayed beautiful color paintings of Roman Military every day's life that I had never seen before and that have - I think - never been published in any publication. I remember for example a mother and her weeping child standing at a Roman soldier's tombstone (very impressive) and there was surely enough material to fill at least one or two Osprey books. Are these paints from You or do You know if they are intended to be published?

Greets - Uwe
Greets - Uwe

Messages In This Thread
Tribune Tunic - by Graham Sumner - 01-18-2006, 04:40 PM
McBride - by Conal - 01-18-2006, 05:53 PM
Re: Tribune Tunic - by FAVENTIANVS - 01-18-2006, 10:03 PM
Re: Tribune Tunic - by Theodosius the Great - 01-18-2006, 10:12 PM
illustrations - by Graham Sumner - 01-18-2006, 11:48 PM
Illustration - by Graham Sumner - 01-19-2006, 01:57 AM
Re: Which Osprey title is this plate from ? - by Uwe Bahr - 01-19-2006, 12:18 PM
illustrations - by Graham Sumner - 01-19-2006, 12:40 PM
Roman painting - by Graham Sumner - 01-19-2006, 04:14 PM
Re: Tribune Tunic - by Arthes - 01-19-2006, 05:13 PM
illustration - by Graham Sumner - 01-23-2006, 12:30 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Osprey Title:Imperial Roman Naval Forces 31 BC - AD 500 Gaius Julius Caesar 3 2,185 12-12-2009, 05:40 PM
Last Post: Caius Valens
  Next Osprey warrior title Robert Vermaat 45 8,758 03-21-2007, 06:19 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar
  Which Book title is this plate from ? gie 6 2,193 06-08-2006, 02:50 AM
Last Post: Comerus Gallus