Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello Honorable Historians
I'm new in this circuit. I am in the process of gathering general information about Historical Civilizations to use in building an PC game.<br>
Does any of you good Roman citizens have any good ideals were I might gather information of Roman and Greek ancient Military band sounds and songs ?<br>
Also sounds and songs of general public enjoyment ?<br>
<br>
By the way ....You Legions<br>
<br>
Personally, I like the Corinthian and Spartan Hopelites and thier past glories of civilizations own brands of ideals of things that glorifies, I think they'd kick your Mighty Roman Gladiators rears back to the Barren Hills of Romulus and Remus before they fought over those Eagles.!!!<br>
<br>
<br>
Have I got any warriors attensions ?<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
Great sight and forum and please accept my Thanks now on any info you might have.<br>
<br>
Best Regards,<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Salve Morgantina and welcome to RAT. I dont' think there are any known examples of military music for Rome or Greece, other than that the instruments are known and, due to reconstructions, what they sound like. What music they used is unknown. More seems to be written about Greek music (there are several books on the subject) and little about Roman music, although there may be some examples of Roman musical notation on papyrus.<br>
<br>
As to civilian music, there are several groups that have CD's out of their recreations of Roman music.<br>
<br>
Ludi Scaenici www.geocities.com/Vienna/...udeng.html<br>
Tanzmeisterin Suzanne www.tanzmeisterin.de/<br>
Roman Provincial www.ancestral.co.uk/romanmusic.htm<br>
<br>
and there are several others.<br>
<br>
As to books, you could look at this one:<br>
<br>
"Music in Ancient Greece and Rome"<br>
by John G. Landels<br>
<br>
A search on 'roman music' at amazon also turns up several books, out of print, in French, German and Italian. <p>Richard Campbell, Legio XX<br>
<br>
</p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=richsc@romanarmytalk>RichSC</A> at: 4/7/03 3:08:03 am<br></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
<br>
<br>
Many thanks for your time and the info Richard.<br>
<br>
I'm alittle surprised that there aren't volumes on Roman tunes, given the long duration of Roman socities role in shaping the modern world.<br>
<br>
But , I guess once the Pagan brand got placed on anything out of the Empire by the New ruling class after Christ, those who upheld such knowledge lost there ability to hand it down. I mean once a Kingdom falls its institutional ability is infiltrated.<br>
o'well I quess I'll reinvent the Wheel !<br>
<br>
Again, Richard ; Many Thanks.<br>
<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
No, actually two things:<br>
<br>
writing on papyrus is very iffy for long term storage. Much was probably lost, as so much from then was. It may have been also that their's was a tradition of memorization, something like Irish musicians.<br>
<br>
There actually is a Roman musical notation out there. Part of the problem too may be that no one recognized it on existing manuscripts. <p>Richard Campbell, Legio XX<br>
<br>
</p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
RAT member #6?
<br>
I see your point, Rich, but I also know that those living in those times, they did have an extensive system of saving historical documents ones that were saved with much understanding of there importances as historical records of there era's many ideals and deeds, housed in such places as in 'Alexandria',for example, but as the ruling systems were slowly changed, so too was much of the saved documents and literary works also lost , and surely with a malice intent.<br>
<br>
Ignorance of Ones past reduces the chances of the revenge and pride of cultural defeats.We are Only as much today as We feel is our histories and our destinies.<br>
<br>
<br>
regards,<br>
<p></p><i></i>
I neglected to add the links earlier:<br>
<br>
Dr Johnson of the Univ of Michigan has samples of the notation on papyrus and some interpretations. It is in tetrachords in a diatonic scale.<br>
<br>
Look under 'what's new' then "fragments of ancient instumental music'<br>
<br>
www.lib.umich.edu/pap/<br>
<br>
Also, here's a recreated hydraulis:<br>
<br>
www.archaeologychannel.org/<br>
<br>
and a bit more on notation and instruments:<br>
<br>
www.urgent.rug.ac.be/swen...amese.html<br>
<br>
<br>
<p>Richard Campbell, Legio XX<br>
<br>
</p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
RAT member #6?
Thanks, Rich, your a surely a fine example of 'membership statesmanship' on this Board.<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>