Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Writing a Roman Story
Ave,
I am currently writing a roman screenplay of sorts. Would anyone like to help me with this or just any ideas? Anyway so far I am thinking of a camp scene, the cohort stars to march anyay. Then you see the romans in the distance, armor gleaming in the sun. Camera pans to barbarians hiding in the forest laying in ambush. The romans are ambushed and a fight insues. Thats all I have right now, any help would be appreciated (especially a setting or some diolouge). Thanks In advance (just for fun this is)

See I value input and historical accuracy (thats why im asking) unlike hollywood producers...

By the way, feel free to write your personas into this if you want to..
Gavin Creegan
Complaining the Roman troops about :the load they carry, the food, the Caenturio who goes on his horse, the unecessary marching since "there are no damned barbarians here!!"

Barbarians with dead kin wanting to avenge themselves, others thinking that with the loot they can marry the girly whose papa said no because they are poor....

Something allong this lines.

Kind regards
Could be based on the battle
of Alesia.
Good historical info available to
wrap your characters around.
Romans, Gauls.Caesar!
Vercingetorix!
Thrill of victory-
agony of defeat.

Your opening gave me the
mental picture.
Andy Booker

Gaivs Antonivs Satvrninvs

Andronikos of Athens
Or the Teutoburger Wald fiasco!Lots of scope for action there! :o
Timeo Danaos et Dona ferentes

Andy.(Titus Scapula Clavicularis)
Just come to the Roman fort event at Lafe, Arkansas in March, 2006. I suspect that we will probably have extra equipment, so you can feel the armor and weight of the equipments, and find out exactly what you would be able to see from the ranks.
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]
Quote:Just come to the Roman fort event at Lafe, Arkansas in March, 2006. I suspect that we will probably have extra equipment, so you can feel the armor and weight of the equipments, and find out exactly what you would be able to see from the ranks.

I would love to, when is it? Gotta see if I could fit it into my scedule.

Anyone want to invent some characters?
Gavin Creegan
March 23-36 , 2006, we will have a 4 day Roman event in
NE Arkansas, at a private reconstruction of a Roman marching fort.
"Romans" and "Celts" from all over the USA will join for an event. In
previous years, folks from Canada and Europe have attended. At this
event there will be a Roman civilian "vicus", a Roman "tent city", and
troops in a Roman fortlet. There will also be a "Briton" hillfort and
village.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/FtLafe43AD/

Want something better? 20-30 June, 2006 there will be a Roman Army
march along the entire length of Hadrian's Wall. The participants
will be in Roman military costume, with full armor, weapons and some
supplies.
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]
Hello Maximus

Sadly within five minutes of meeting a movie producer your story would have become......

......Maximus the Gladiator, after defeating the emperor in the arena escapes with his fellow gladiators in a ship bound for the new world. Unfortunately the ship strikes an iceberg and sinks but some of the survivors wash ashore on a remote tropical island. The island is ruled by an Amazon Queen and her young bespectacled wizard consort. The island paradise however is threatened by dinosaurs. The dinosaurs will be based on exhaustive academic evidence but the Romans will of course all look like 1st century legionaries in leather armour because that is what the audience expects. In spite of all these odds Maximus and his men join forces with the Amazons and rid the island of the dinosaurs. Just as they are celebrating their victory an Alien spaceship lands thus ensuring a sequel!

The film makers will announce nevertheless that although this is primarily entertainment and not a documentary it has been based on years of painstaking research!

Am I a cynic who has seen too many movies or have I just stumbled across the next blockbuster! Perhaps I should keep this to myself for a year or so!

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Graham, that sounds fantastic - when's it being released?!!
:lol:

At least the 'historical advisor' could cite Aelian for the spaceship.
Kate Gilliver wrote:

Quote:Graham, that sounds fantastic - when's it being released?!!

Kate I am sure it will be in a multi-plex near you in the not too distant future. Only problem is the title. I think that 'Lost on Potter's Titanic Gladiator Park of the Third Kind', is a bit unwieldy any suggestions?

Quote:At least the 'historical advisor' could cite Aelian for the spaceship.

There you go, now I can be justified in having the opening credits say that although the film is complete nonsence it is based on the latest archaeological evidence!

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Quote:Am I a cynic who has seen too many movies or have I just stumbled across the next blockbuster! Perhaps I should keep this to myself for a year or so!

Too late, I just grabbed it, sold it to Hong Kong and they're making a series of it. Watch your TV screens this fall. 8)
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Who said im giving it to hollywood producers, Im doing this myself...

But really I just want to write this story, dont care if it sees the light of day I just want to write it. So anyone want to help?

Im thinking :
roman camp scene with the legionaries complaining and talking amongst themselves (possibly introduce a minor charachter or two) Follows a centurion into a command tent and he is given orders for a patrol or something (introduce some characters like the centurion) Cohort seen marching in the distance armor gleaming Camera pans to see barbarians laying in ambush in the forest The cohort marches into the forest Javilins and arrows strike them and the barbarians charge down the hill Battle ensues (choas) Aftermath
{Thats all I have any thoughts?}

After all this thought out I ironically have no dialouge, characters, or title. Anyone want to help with serious ideas.
Gavin Creegan
What about the 3rd Century AD? It could be called: THE FALL OF DURA EUROPOS or something like that... or SHAPUR, THE EMPEROR'S TWIG!
[Image: 120px-Septimani_seniores_shield_pattern.svg.png] [Image: Estalada.gif]
Ivan Perelló
[size=150:iu1l6t4o]Credo in Spatham, Corvus sum bellorum[/size]
Ok I revised my last post before this and i wrote what i have so far
Gavin Creegan
For those interested I can inform you that Marc Sanders (Legio X Gemina) has continued with producing his short movie The Lost Legion, despite earlier news that he did not intend to finish it.
And there was much rejoicing!!
[Image: screen6.jpg]
Screenshot
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman group story (I\'ll think of a title later) Aulus Perrinius 0 860 11-20-2009, 04:14 AM
Last Post: Aulus Perrinius
  A roman short story part I Steakslim 4 1,282 12-17-2008, 09:53 PM
Last Post: Steakslim