Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lendon, \'Soldiers and Ghosts\'
I finished this book about a week ago. I enjoyed most of it. It put a little different light on somethings I never considered. I had a few index cards worth of notes after reading it. I wouldn't give it someone to read for their first Roman history book.
Marcus Marius Agrippa
Will Dial
"Stop quoting laws, we carry weapons." - Gnaeus Pompeius Magnus
I read this quite a while ago (one of the perks of my previous job was reading things from many publishers pre-publication) so can't remember it in great detail. My overall impression though is that it wasn't what I was expecting from the title and that in places I found it a bit repetitive and long-winded. It was, however, original, and the man can obviously write very well from a literary point of view, although just occasionally I thought it felt like he was trying just a bit too hard to be poetic where a more straight forward discussion of a point might have been clearer. Overall, I'd give this an 8 out of 10. If he has more to say, and if he is reading this, I would happily commission him to write something for me!

Phil Sidnell
Commissioning Editor, (Pen & Sword Books)

p.s The jacket design was very stylish.
Yeah the cover was great. It would make a good poster.
Marcus Marius Agrippa
Will Dial
The UK edition jacket was a just a Greek hoplite (Corinthian style?) helmet on a black background. Was that the same in the US?
Yeah it was. It just has a cool look to it, with the left side of it all cracked (right looking at it). Simple and neat.
Marcus Marius Agrippa
Will Dial