Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Domitianic Diploma for Syria dated 10.Aug.93?
Ave,

I've been trying, unsuccessfully, to interpret a diploma for Syria.

On Andreas Pangerl's website www.romancoins there are numerous pictures of diplomas. I have copied the set of four for Syria issued during the reign of Domitian and I've been attempting to read them.

I freely admit to being less than a novice at this. I was unable to read most of the details, even though I used a graphics programme to enhance the pictures.

These are a few of the details that I was able to read.

01. Domitian IMP XXII (92) cos XVI (92) TP XII (92)
02. Syria sub M(arco) Cornelio Nigro (95/97?)
03. AD IIII IDUS AVGVSTI (93?)
04. Sex(to) Lusiani Proculo T(ito) Avidio Quieto cos (suff for 93)

I'm trying to put a date to this diploma, so far I seem to have conflicting information.

01. Imperator for XXII time in 92. Consul for the XVI time in 92. Tribunician power first on accession; renewed annually on anniversary of accession ie. on 14 September 92.
02. Dr. Werner Eck in his articles published in Chiron 12 (1982) 281-362 & Chiron 13 (1983) 147-237, attributed M(arco) Cornelio Nigrino Curiatio Materno to 95/96 - 97 based on AE 1973, 0283.
03. AD IIII IDUS AVGVSTI is after 14 September 92 so this puts the date of the diploma into 93?
04. Ladislav Vidman on page 44 of "Fasti Ostiensis" (1982) has [k.---T. Avidius Quietus, L. Dasumius Hadri]anus as the first pair of suffects for 93

Everything, except item 02., seems to point to 93 as being the date for this diploma?

What do you think?

Vale

M. Spedius Corbulo (aka Jim)
[Image: spedius-mcmxliii.gif]
~~~~~~Jim Poulton~~~~~~
North London Wargames Group
Ave,

Further to my opening post, I've been trying to read the inner face of tablet 1.

This is what I have been able to read so far:

01. Imp(erator) Caesar divi Vespasiani f(ilius) Domitianus Augus
02. tus Germanicus pontifex maximus tribunic(ia) po
03. testat(e) XII Imp(erator) XXII co(n)s(ul) XVI censor perpetuus p(ater) p(atriae)
04. equitibus et peditibus qui militant in alis quat
05. tuor et cohortibus septem quae appellantur
06. Gallorum et Thracum Antiana et ?
07. et ? Sebastena et III Thracum Augusta
08. et I Ascalonitanorum et I Thracum milliaria
09. et I Ituraeorom et II Thracum civium Romano
10. rum et IIII Callaecorum Bracaraugustan
11. orum et IIII Thracum Syriaca et Augusta Panno
12. niorum et sunt in Syria sub M Cornelio
13. Nigrino qui quina et vicena stipendia aut
14. plura meruerunt item dimissis honesta

I'm stuck with the last word on line 06. and the second word on line 07.
This is the second alae, is it a new unit, (? et ?)?
Or is it a new unit with only one name?
I'm also puzzled by the lack of "et" between ? and Sebastena on line 07.?
Is the ? on line 07. a new prefix to Sebastena?

If anyone can solve the puzzle presented above, I would be most grateful for any answers that you are able to give.

Finally, does anybody know where this diploma was first published?

Vale

M. Spedius Corbulo
~~~~~~Jim Poulton~~~~~~
Salve,

If it's any help, these are the only other diploma I know of that mention the I Ascalonitanorum. AE 1939, 00126 and CIL 16, 00035 were also issued during the reign of Domitianus.

AE 1939, 00126 = AE 1959, 00252
AE 1994, 01764
CIL 03, 00600 = CIL 03, 14203,35 = D 02724 = AE 1997, 01352
CIL 14, 04624a = AE 1998, 00272a
CIL 14, 04624b = AE 1998, 00272b
CIL 16, 00035 = AE 1927, 00044 = AE 1928, 00155 = AE 1933, 00001 = AE 1959, 00090

Regards,
Dear Spedius,

the syrian military diploma is correct. M. Cornelius Nigrinus starts his syrian legateship in 93 and not 95 CE. He had an longer term like Iulius Agricola. The consul lists have also correted. In Chiron 34 (?) Diplome, Konsuln und Statthalter gives Werner Eck a new version for 92 and 93 CE.

Sex. Pompeius Collega Q. Peducaeus Priscus

k. Mai T. Avidius Quietus Sex Lusianus Proculus
k. Sept. C. Cornelius Rarus Tuccius Cerialis

So Domitian had in his late reign only two pairs of suffecti. Sex Lusianus Proculus became legate of Germania superior in 93/94 CE and was changed in 96 CE. May be he was an real domitian legateSmile See ZPE 147

Bye

Malko Linge

(Christian)
Quote:Salve,
If it's any help, these are the only other diploma I know of that mention the I Ascalonitanorum. AE 1939, 00126 and CIL 16, 00035 were also issued during the reign of Domitianus.
AE 1939, 00126 = AE 1959, 00252
AE 1994, 01764
CIL 03, 00600 = CIL 03, 14203,35 = D 02724 = AE 1997, 01352
CIL 14, 04624a = AE 1998, 00272a
CIL 14, 04624b = AE 1998, 00272b
CIL 16, 00035 = AE 1927, 00044 = AE 1928, 00155 = AE 1933, 00001 = AE 1959, 00090
Regards,

Ave Peroni (Adrian),

Many thanks for your message.

Although it wasn't of any material help in solving my problem, it did show me that there are others out there who share my interest in Roman Military Diplomas (RMDs).

I already have copies of the texts for the two diplomas mentioned in your post. They are both for Syria dated 7.Nov.88 with identical constitutions but with two different recipients and find spots.

Incidentally, there is another diploma that has I Ascalonitanorum included in it's constitution, CL 16, 0106 = AE 1972, 0669 was issued during the reign of Antoninius Pius dated 28.Sep.157. This diploma is the last one that I have, so far, for Syria.

How did you put together the sources that you quote in your post? Do you, in fact, share my interest in RMDs? What data do you have access to?

Regards

Vale

M. Spedius Corbulo
~~~~~~Jim Poulton~~~~~~
Quote:Dear Spedius,
the syrian military diploma is correct. M. Cornelius Nigrinus starts his syrian legateship in 93 and not 95 CE. He had an longer term like Iulius Agricola. The consul lists have also correted. In Chiron 34 (?) Diplome, Konsuln und Statthalter gives Werner Eck a new version for 92 and 93 CE.
Sex. Pompeius Collega Q. Peducaeus Priscus
k. Mai T. Avidius Quietus Sex Lusianus Proculus
k. Sept. C. Cornelius Rarus Tuccius Cerialis
So Domitian had in his late reign only two pairs of suffecti. Sex Lusianus Proculus became legate of Germania superior in 93/94 CE and was changed in 96 CE. May be he was an real domitian legateSmile See ZPE 147
Bye
Malko Linge______________
(Christian)

Ave Malko,

Once again you have provided some very helpful information.

Dr. Werner Eck's article in Chiron 34 (2004) was entitled "Diplome, Konsuln und Statthalter. Fortschritte und Probleme der kaiserzeitlichen Prospographie". Of course I have absolutely no idea what it means? Can someone provide a translation for me, also a copy of the article would be most welcome?

Peter Weiss' article in ZPE 147 (2004) 229-234 was entitled "Ein Neuer Legat Domitians von Germania Superior in einem Militardiplom: Sex. Lusianus Proculus. I do have a copy of this article which I managed to obtain from the ZPE downloads facility, most useful. If only all journals offered the same facility.

In Peter Weiss' article on page 232 note 15 there is the following:
15 Auktionskatalog Gorny & Mosch, Giessener Munzhandlung (Munchen) 128, 13 Dezember 2003. 118. Das Diplom war einige Zeit zuvor W. Eck und mir fast gleichzeitig bekannt geworden.

If you follow this link:
http://www.gmcoinart.de/shop/detailansi ... =78088&e=1

You will find a picture of the Syrian diploma and the following:

Objekt-Nr.: 118
Römisches Militärdiplom.
93 n. Chr. Zwei gleichgroße Bronzeplatten (19 x 15cm) mit beidseitiger Inschrift. Dunklegrüne Patina, kleiner Durchbruch in der zweiten Platte

Das Diplom, das aus der Regierungszeit des Domitian stammt und in den August 93 n. Chr. datiert ist, wurde an einen Soldaten der "Cohors I Ascalonitanorum", der in der Armee vermutlich als Bogenschütze diente, verliehen. Neben dessen Einheit sind auf dem Schriftstück thrakische, spanische, pannonische, phrygische und syrische Einheiten erwähnt. Diese Auxiliareinheiten waren in der Provinz Syrien stationiert, in der, wie aus dem Diplom hervorgeht, zu diesem Zeitpunkt Cornelius Nigrinus die Statthalterschaft ausübte. M. Cornelius Nigrinus Curatius Maternus war einer der höchstdekorierten Militärs seiner Zeit. Er stammte aus Liria in Spanien, war ein verdienter Held der Dakerkriege Domitians, der sich aus den Ritterstand bis zum Konsulat hochgearbeitet hatte. In seinem Geburstort fand sich eine Inschrift, die ihn als Statthalter von Moesien und Syrien ausweist. In einem scharfsinnigen Aufsatz haben G. Alföldy und H. Halfmann den Legaten als den potenziellen Nerva-Nachfolger identifiziert, vor dem im Jahre 97 n. Chr. Rom zitterte. Allerdings scheint das frühe Datum der Statthalterschaft, das das vorliegende Diplom überliefert, gegen diese Theorie zu sprechen, da M. Cornelius Nigrinus sein Amt in Syrien dann länger als üblich ausgeübt haben müßte. Lit.: G. Alföldy- H. Halfmann, M. Cornelius Nigrinus Curatius Maternus, Chiron 3, 1973, 331 - 373.

Price: € 25.000,00
Hammer price: € 28.000,00

So, via a circuitous route, we come back to the object of this topic. Once again I have absolutely no idea what the above says, anyone?

Vale

M. Spedius Corbulo
~~~~~~Jim Poulton~~~~~~
Quote:Dr. Werner Eck's article in Chiron 34 (2004) was entitled "Diplome, Konsuln und Statthalter. Fortschritte und Probleme der kaiserzeitlichen Prospographie"
"Diplomas, Consuls and Governors. Progress and problems in the prosopograhie of the Imperial Era"

Quote:Das Diplom, das aus der Regierungszeit des Domitian stammt und in den August 93 n. Chr. datiert ist, wurde an einen Soldaten der "Cohors I Ascalonitanorum", der in der Armee vermutlich als Bogenschütze diente, verliehen. Neben dessen Einheit sind auf dem Schriftstück thrakische, spanische, pannonische, phrygische und syrische Einheiten erwähnt. Diese Auxiliareinheiten waren in der Provinz Syrien stationiert, in der, wie aus dem Diplom hervorgeht, zu diesem Zeitpunkt Cornelius Nigrinus die Statthalterschaft ausübte. M. Cornelius Nigrinus Curatius Maternus war einer der höchstdekorierten Militärs seiner Zeit. Er stammte aus Liria in Spanien, war ein verdienter Held der Dakerkriege Domitians, der sich aus den Ritterstand bis zum Konsulat hochgearbeitet hatte. In seinem Geburstort fand sich eine Inschrift, die ihn als Statthalter von Moesien und Syrien ausweist. In einem scharfsinnigen Aufsatz haben G. Alföldy und H. Halfmann den Legaten als den potenziellen Nerva-Nachfolger identifiziert, vor dem im Jahre 97 n. Chr. Rom zitterte. Allerdings scheint das frühe Datum der Statthalterschaft, das das vorliegende Diplom überliefert, gegen diese Theorie zu sprechen, da M. Cornelius Nigrinus sein Amt in Syrien dann länger als üblich ausgeübt haben müßte. Lit.: G. Alföldy- H. Halfmann, M. Cornelius Nigrinus Curatius Maternus, Chiron 3, 1973, 331 - 373.

The diploma, which derives from the reign of Domitian and is dated to August of 93 AD, was granted to a soldier of Cohors I Ascalonitanorum, who probably served as an archer. Apart from this unit, troops from Thrace, Spain, Pannonia, Phrygia and Syria are mentioned in the diploma. These auxiliary units were garissoned in Syria, where, as the diploma shows, Cornelius Nigrinus was governor. M.Cornelius Nigrinus Curatius Maternus was one of the most decorated soldiers of his time. He came from Liria in Spain, was a hero of the Dacian wars of Domitian during which he climbed from the Equestrian order to the Consulship. In his city of birth an inscription has been found which shows that he was governor of Moesia and Syria. In a perceptive article, G. Alföldy and H. Halfmann identified this legate as the possible successor of Nerva for whom Rome trembled in 97 AD. However, the early date of this diploma seems to contradict that theory, because in that case Nigrinus would have to have been in office in Syria for a longer duration than normally was the case. Literature: G. Alföldy- H. Halfmann, M. Cornelius Nigrinus Curatius Maternus, Chiron 3, 1973, 331 - 373.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Ave Jasper,

Thank you so very much, outstanding!!

Oh, how I envy you your abilities, truly remarkable!!

Vale

M. Spedius Corbulo
~~~~~~Jim Poulton~~~~~~
Ave

I've continued where I left off in my post of yesterday.

This is my attempted reading of the interior of Tablet 2:

01. missione emeritis stipendiis quorum
02. nomina subscripta sunt ipsis liberis poste
03. risque corum civitatem dedit et conubi
04. um cum uxoribus quas tunc habuissent
05. cum est civitas iis data aut si qui caelibes
06. essent cum iis quas postea duxissent dum
07. taxat singuli singulas
08. A(nte) D(iem) IIII Idus August(i)
09. Sex(to) Lusiani Proculo T(ito) Avidio Quieta co(n)s(ulibus)
10. cohort I Ascalonitanorum cui pra(e)est
11. C(aio) Coelius C(aio) f(ilius) Arn Montanus
12. pediti
13. Magae Cleonis f(ilio) Lycio
14. descriptum et recognitum ex tabula aenea
15. qua fixa est Romae

By making comparisons between the four pictures and previous diplomas I have been able to put together a reasonable version of the text. I'm sure there are many errors and I'm also sure that those of you more knowledgeable than I will soon correct my mistakes.

To my knowledge, these posts represent the first publication of this particular diploma. Once again, those of you with access to alternative information will correct me if I'm wrong.

Vale

M. Spedius Corbulo
~~~~~~Jim Poulton~~~~~~
Salve,

The sources for the above mentioned diplomata can be found in the John Spaul Cohors2 and Ala books published by BAR International series 841 2000 .

I also use this website a lot, it's always being updated with new material;

http://compute-in.ku-eichstaett.de:8888 ... epigraphik

The margaret Roxan series of books is always being thumbed in my house too!

Regards,
Quote:Salve,
The sources for the above mentioned diplomata can be found in the John Spaul Cohors2 and Ala books published by BAR International series 841 2000 .
I also use this website a lot, it's always being updated with new material;
http://compute-in.ku-eichstaett.de:8888 ... epigraphik
The margaret Roxan series of books is always being thumbed in my house too!
Regards,

Ave Peroni (Adrian)

Many thanks for your message.

I too have the pair of John Spaul's books and the four Margaret Roxan books. They have been of enormous help in my search for the garrisons and Governors of the Roman provinces.

I did check out the link which you very kindly included in your post. How do you use it to get at the information that you are seeking? Another valuable resource all in German, if only we had an English equivalent!!

Vale

M. Spedius Corbulo
~~~~~~Jim Poulton~~~~~~
There is an English version, actually: http://user.uni-frankfurt.de/~clauss/index-e.html
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Just type-in a word in the 'suchtext' box, and hit enter and it will list and show all the epigraphic detail of any stone, diploma etc which includes the search word. This could be a name a cohort etc.

It is also possible to search by province and find site.

I have found it extremely useful whilst researching the Batavian cohorts for my book.

Thanks Jasper, that does indeed make life a little easier for us lazy English!

Regards,
Ave

The final part of analysing the Syrian diploma are the witnesses.

Here is my attempt at reading the exterior of Tablet 2.

01. L(uci) Pulli Verecundi
02. C(ai) Iuli Clementis
03. Q(uinti) Orfi Cupiti
04. P(ubli) Cauli Gemelli
05. P(ubli) Cascelli Onesini
06. Q(uinti) Iuliani Eugrami
07. Q(uinti) Pompei Homeri

Once again, there are probably mistakes in my reading and I'm sure those of you more knowledgeable than I will correct my errors.

There is only the missing names of the ala to be discovered to enable a complete reading of this diploma.

Vale

M. Spedius Corbulo
~~~~~~Jim Poulton~~~~~~
Quote:There is an English version, actually: http://user.uni-frankfurt.de/~clauss/index-e.html

Ave Jasper,

Many thanks for the link.

Vale

M. Spedius Corbulo
~~~~~~Jim Poulton~~~~~~

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Domitianic Diploma for Iudaea dated 90 AD! Spedius 2 2,048 02-19-2006, 12:39 PM
Last Post: Spedius
  Domitianic Diploma Fragment For Ivdaea? Spedius 2 1,814 02-12-2006, 09:49 PM
Last Post: Spedius
  Trajanic Diploma for Moesia Inferior dated 13.Mai.105? Spedius 8 2,918 02-08-2006, 04:27 PM
Last Post: raeticus