Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PC Gaming with Rome
Hi all,

So I just bought a new computer (an HP) and I'm finally getting rid of my old IBM Thinkpad from 1998. I was just wondering if anybody had any suggestions regarding new pc games that are fun to play and fairly accurate concerning the Roman Republic or Empire. So far, I've heard that Rome Total War is really good, but if there are any others that are worth looking into, please let me know!

Thanks,
-Trey
Gaius Tertius Severus "Terti" / Trey Starnes

"ESSE QUAM VIDERE"
Rome Total War Rules!!!!
[Image: kneel.gif]
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Yes Rome total war is great but be sure to instal one of the mods to improve historical accuracy.
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Absolutely.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Ave,

If you like loads of battles, Legion Arena is pretty good. Check out my post on the subject. here

Vale

M. Spedius Corbulo
[Image: spedius-mcmxliii.gif]
~~~~~~Jim Poulton~~~~~~
North London Wargames Group
Rome Total War with the Rome Total REALISM mod is the best for fun gameplay and as historically accurate as possible.

My friend plays the game with the SPQR mod that he seems to like, but I didnt like it, but its worth checking out

Mods:

Rome Total Realism
SPQR
Trey, if you want to have better looking Romans than in the original game, then check out our "Modding Legions"-thread at twcenter (I made the late cavalry-units):
http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthre ... post774364

And of course my horse-reskin (see link in my signature)
--- Marcus F. ---
I'll agree wholeheartedly with those who have recommended Rome: Total War. 'Authenticity Fascists' will definitely want to download the ''Rome Total Realism'' mod, unless they like playing with wardog, flaming pig and screeching women fantasy units. The 'Europa Barbarorum' mod is still in development and looks like it will be a good alternative to RTR when it is finally released.

[EDIT - Obviously I haven't been paying close enough attention - a rather extensive 'Beta Version' of 'Europa Barbarorum' has been released. It can be downloaded from the very handsome Europa Barbarorum website, along with previews of all the factions, a clickable campaign map and some preview pictures in the gallery. As a 'Beta' release, apparently it still has some bugs, but if the pictures are anything to go by, it makes 'Total Realism' look rather shabby by comparison. Any mod with tribe and personal names in Proto-Germanic gets my vote.

I just downloaded the mod and will fire it up this evening.]

Lately I've been playing the 'Barbarian Invasion' expansion pack. I just finished my first campaign, where I tried playing the Eastern Empire. That faction is classed as 'Moderately Hard', but proved too hard for me - I hit 476 AD last night and only just failed to achieve my objective of holding 20 provinces including Constantinople, Carthage and Rome. My outer provinces kept rebelling on me and some had to be reconquered every three turns or so. I reconquered and massacred the populations of two of my eastern provinces about 10 times (maybe that's why they hated me). In the end I was beaten by the Lombards, who came from nowhere to take Pannonia, Thrace and all my Greek provinces in the last 30 years of the game.

So far there are no decent realism mods for BI, so I have to put up with the current fluorescent-coloured skins and really silly looking units. The 'Imperia Romana' mod is shaping up to be the most realistic mod for BI, but it's not due for its first release for some months. They are still recruiting for researchers, artists and 3D skinners, so any of our Late Roman experts would be welcome to offer them some assistance.

I've just started a new campaign as the Franks, which has been fun so far, despite having silly units like 'Paladins' and 'Graal Knights'.

'Medieval Total War II' has recently been announced for release later this year. From the looks of it, I'll need to get a new PC to play it.
Tim ONeill / Thiudareiks Flavius /Thiudareiks Gunthigg

HISTORY FOR ATHEISTS - New Atheists Getting History Wrong
Definatley Rome total war. But make SURE your camputer has enough recources for it or youll have incredibally long load times. A gig upgrade decreased load times by 15x's on my bros computer
Matt J.
Titus Arabius Matho
Legion XI
Rome: Total War is a great game. I don't know exactly how many hours I have been spending playing it. I'm also a staff member at one of the major RTW fansites, RTW Heaven.
[size=75:wtt9v943]Susanne Arvidsson

I have not spent months gathering Hoplites from the four corners of the earth just to let
some Swedish pancake in a purloined panoply lop their lower limbs off!
- Paul Allen, Thespian
[/size]

[Image: partofE448.jpg]
LOL, somtimes ill start at like 9pm, only going to play for an hour. Soon to follow a glance to my clock noticing its 4 or 5 in the morning. It is VERY easy to lose track of time with this game.
Matt J.
Titus Arabius Matho
Legion XI
I know what you mean... same thing has happened to me a number of times.
The year was 245 BC and those pesky Germans had broken our alliance. I subdued the barbarians easily, then I wanted to see what was going to happen the next turn... and the turn after that one, etc. Smile

I have not spent months gathering Hoplites from the four corners of the earth just to let
- Paul Allen, Thespian
[/size]

Yea, One time i saved it, and then was going to go on a two turn rampage that after about 20 turns I hand a whole seperate campaign.
Matt J.
Titus Arabius Matho
Legion XI
Do you play online as well? Smile

- Paul Allen, Thespian
[/size]

I havent yet, but in the past no matter what game/system im paired against a person that purposely stays on there for hours. So unless I find a person that plays for fun i dont play online.
Matt J.
Titus Arabius Matho
Legion XI