Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deepeeka Gladius not so inaccurate?
Salve!

I just found from my archives a picture of a roman gladius blade (I can`t remember which museum this is Sad ). It seems quite much like the infamous Deepeeka Early Gladius....

The scabbard of the Deepeeka early gladius is quite inaccurate but what about the blade? If I remember correctly, it was claimed that the tip of this Deepeeka gladius blade is too long for a Pompeii style but too short for a Fulham style (and not waisted). How about now :wink: ...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
They are improving... step by step. :wink:
[Image: 120px-Septimani_seniores_shield_pattern.svg.png] [Image: Estalada.gif]
Ivan Perelló
[size=150:iu1l6t4o]Credo in Spatham, Corvus sum bellorum[/size]
Quote:The scabbard of the Deepeeka early gladius is quite inaccurate but what about the blade? If I remember correctly, it was claimed that the tip of this Deepeeka gladius blade is too long for a Pompeii style but too short for a Fulham style (and not waisted). How about now Wink ...
I can't tell from the photo of the original artefact, but does it have that V shaped flattening where it would meet the hilt?
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
I don`t think that the museum piece has that v-shaped flattening (which is not exclusively a Deepeeka`s interpretation, I think that the ill-famed Museum Replicas Gladius also has this feature)....

I have never seen this kind of flattening of the blade near the quard on any museum pieces. Only one which shows at least slight resemblance is that Segontium (Caernarvon) blade. It has some kind of rectangular thicker part in the blade near the quard, perhaps for tightening the blade in the scabbard?
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Quote:I don`t think that the museum piece has that v-shaped flattening (which is not exclusively a Deepeeka`s interpretation, I think that the ill-famed Museum Replicas Gladius also has this feature)....

I have never seen this kind of flattening of the blade near the quard on any museum pieces. Only one which shows at least slight resemblance is that Segontium (Caernarvon) blade. It has some kind of rectangular thicker part in the blade near the quard, perhaps for tightening the blade in the scabbard?
I also thought the flat V is wrong. The photo disappeared from your original post, at least I can't see it now, but here's another gladius with (I think) a similar point but no flattening at the top.
[Image: f0_1.JPG]
Roman Legionnaires Legionary Gladius Sword 1st - 3rd AD
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclamation Best Deepeeka Gladius Reproductions 2023? SinoSparo 1 463 07-06-2023, 08:26 PM
Last Post: Mycerinus
  Deepeeka AH2005 Gladius of Mainz (Help) Doc 13 4,933 01-30-2009, 03:21 AM
Last Post: Doc
  Deepeeka Pompeii Gladius Adam Carr 3 1,863 09-26-2006, 03:18 PM
Last Post: FAVENTIANVS