Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Legate\'s Daughter by Wallace Breem
Ave Graham,

Welcome to the thread, "Cymru Ambyth".

Regarding the missing book in the "Eagles" series "The Hill of the Dead", have a look in http://used.addall.com you should find it there.

Atilus the gladiator was the central character in Edward Thompson's "Gladiator". This book was origonally published as "Atilus the Slave" (1975) and "Atilus the Gladiator" (1975) and was republished in an expanded version by Futura as "Gladiator" in 1978.

Another cover by Richard Clifton-Dey is Roland Auguet's "The Roman Games" from Panther books in 1975. This is not a novel however, but a well-researched book, complete with a glossary and an index.

Yet another book to consider is "Those About To Die" by Daniel P. Mannix published by Panther books in 1967. This book is also non-fiction and continues our theme of gladiators.

Arthur Koestler's "The Gladiators" Ace Books 1960 is another novel about Spartacus.

Finally a pair of books by Jay Scotland (John Jakes) "Arena" Ace 1963 and "Traitors' Legion" Ace 1963. The first is about a "bestiarius" during the reign of Nero (13/10/54-9/6/68). The second is about the aftermath of Cannae (216 BC) and the survivors of the battle.

Happy hunting.

Vale

M. Spedius Corbulo
[Image: spedius-mcmxliii.gif]
~~~~~~Jim Poulton~~~~~~
North London Wargames Group
Spedius wrote:

Quote:Another cover by Richard Clifton-Dey is Roland Auguet's "The Roman Games" from Panther books in 1975. This is not a novel however, but a well-researched book, complete with a glossary and an index.

Yet another book to consider is "Those About To Die" by Daniel P. Mannix published by Panther books in 1967. This book is also non-fiction and continues our theme of gladiators.

Hi

I have both these books too but they are not to hand at the moment, however I bet the cover art by Richard Clifton-Day has similar gladiatorial equipment to those in his other artwork!

There have been a few documentaries on Gladiators in recent years in which Kathleen Coleman discusses the latest discoveries about the games. I could never understand this as many of the topics she talked about were all covered with more besides in both the books mentioned above!

Thanks for the lead for the Andrew Quiller book I will try and track it down.

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
For those who can read German, I'd like to recommend the books by Iris Kammerer: Der Tribun, and Die Schwerter des Tiberius. The books are very well researched and pretty well written. Setting is the aftermath of the Varus battle. The third book will come out in atumn.

The Roman tribune Gaius Cinna is captured by a Germanic tribe, a pawn several tribal leaders, among them Arminius, want. In the end, he manages to flee with help of Sunja and her brother. In the second book Cinna is back on the Roman side, involved in negotiations between Romans and Germans, but some of his own people mistrust him. And there's still Arminius. :twisted:

Edited to add:
I can't believe no one has mentioned Rosemary Sutcliff yet. Eagle of the Ninth, The Silver Branch, The Lantern Bearers, and Sword at Sunset all take place in Roman Britain or shortly after the Romans left. They may be classified as YA books, but they are definitely a fun read for adults. Big Grin
[Image: Atrectus.jpg]
centurio pilus prior cohortis Primus Tungriorum peditata
AKA Gabriele Campbell
Quote:I can't believe no one has mentioned Rosemary Sutcliff yet. Eagle of the Ninth, The Silver Branch, The Lantern Bearers, and Sword at Sunset all take place in Roman Britain or shortly after the Romans left. They may be classified as YA books, but they are definitely a fun read for adults.

I guess we had all assumed that we knew about those Tongue

As to German stuff, I also read Jörg Kastners "Teutoburg and after" series about a German guy called Thorwald. Pretty well researched, although the writing is sometimes not the best. All in all 5 books, I believe.
Another nice book is Gispert Haef's "Roma" (set during Marcus Aurelius), and his Hannibal novel is even better.
Aka
Christoph
Quote:I can't believe no one has mentioned Rosemary Sutcliff yet. Eagle of the Ninth, The Silver Branch, The Lantern Bearers, and Sword at Sunset all take place in Roman Britain or shortly after the Romans left. They may be classified as YA books, but they are definitely a fun read for adults. Big Grin

You are so right. Viventius and me should be really ashamed about that, Sutcliff fans as we are..
I think we both have all her Roman era books, so here I'll add a list of (I think) all her books and stories with a Roman, or Arthurian theme..:
1954 - The Eagle of the Ninth
1955 - The Outcast
1957 - The Silver Branch
1959 - The Lantern Bearers
1961 - Dawn Wind (yeah, I know, 577 is a bit late to be Arthurian...)
1963 - Sword at Sunset
1965 - The Mark of the Horse Lord
1968 - A Circlet of Oak Leaves
1973 - The Capricorn Bracelet
1976 - Blood Feud (Byzantine)
1978 - Song for a Dark Queen
1980 - Frontier Wolf
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Ave all,

Hello again Gabrielle, I trust all is well with you? Welcome to the thread.

Our book list is getting longer and longer. Thank you all for that.

Here are two more for you to consider, James Sinclair's "Warrior Queen" and "Canis the Warrior". The first was published by Berkely in 1979 and the second by Charter in 1986. The books are about Boudicca, her daughters and Canis before, during and after the revolt of 60 AD. Both are very good reads.

I was going to recommend this link, http://uts.cc.utexas.edu/~soon/histfiction/index.html but it seems to be down. Does anyone have any news about this?

Have you got any more historical novels?

Vale

M. Spedius Corbulo

PS. I have just taken delivery of "Römische Militärdiplome und Entlassungsurkunden in der Sammlung des Römisch-Germanischen Zentralmuseums" by Barbara Pferdehirt, Mainz, RGZM (2004) ISBN 3-88467-086-7 . I'm in diploma heaven!!!
~~~~~~Jim Poulton~~~~~~
I just remembered another book I really enjoyed reading, "Domitia and Domitian" by David Corson. Really well researched, the author really tries to imagine what an ancient roman (emperor) would have thought and how they would have felt. Definitely one of the most authentic historical novels I ever read. He also wrote another novel about Trajan, which I haven't read yet. Unfortunately, he died shortly afterwards.
Aka
Christoph
Quote:I just remembered another book I really enjoyed reading, "Domitia and Domitian" by David Corson. Really well researched, the author really tries to imagine what an ancient roman (emperor) would have thought and how they would have felt. Definitely one of the most authentic historical novels I ever read. He also wrote another novel about Trajan, which I haven't read yet. Unfortunately, he died shortly afterwards.

Ave Christoph,

Thank you for the information on David Corson. I must keep a look out for his two books.

Have you read the American General Lew Wallace's "Ben Hur" first published in 1880? I have a 1959 Pan Giant copy with a picture of Charlton Heston on the cover.

Did you know that a sequel has been written by Karl Tunberg and Owen Walford "The Quest of Ben Hur", it was published by Penquin in 1981?

"The characters who throng these pages - Nero; beautiful, incestuous Agrippina; the passionate Leah; Suetonious the great general - the setting of Rome, Ancient Britain and the Mediterranean, the ebb and flow of factions and war, the surging of the Christian Faith, bring to magnificent, stirring life those brazen, barbaric days of the New Testament".

The quote is an extract from the back cover. The cover illustration, chariot racing, was by Gino D'Achille.

I'm looking forward to your future contributions to our expanding list.

Vale

M. Spedius Corbulo
~~~~~~Jim Poulton~~~~~~
If you can stand reading books online, Ben Hur by Lew Wallace, can be found here:

http://etext.lib.virginia.edu/toc/moden ... lBenH.html

No pix of Cheston Heston though 8)
Quote:If you can stand reading books online, Ben Hur by Lew Wallace, can be found here:
http://etext.lib.virginia.edu/toc/moden ... lBenH.html
No pix of Cheston Heston though 8)

Ave Viventius,

Welcome to the thread.

Thank you for the link. It was most thoughtful of you.

How many times have you seen Ben Hur, the movie? I wonder if a modern remake is in the pipe line?

Do you know that, although I have both books on my shelves, I still havn't read them.

Do you have any favourite historical novels that you would like to add to our list?

Vale

M. Spedius Corbulo
~~~~~~Jim Poulton~~~~~~
Thank you Spedius Big Grin

I'm always game to watch Ben Hur, and particularly the bit where the roof tiles fall off.

As Valerius said, I was one of those who should have listed Rosemary Sutcliff ([url:3g16esjq]http://blueremembered.blogspot.com[/url]) :oops: My all time favourite of hers are The Lantern Bearers and Sword at Sunset (btw, the latter is not classed as YA; it was always in the adult section of the library!)

I really like Gillian Bradshaw's books ([url:3g16esjq]http://bradshaw.port5.com/[/url])

I also like reading Roman whodunnits, including the Falco series by Lindsey Davis, the Roman Mysteries by Caroline Lawrence ([url:3g16esjq]http://www.romanmysteries.com/[/url]), and the Rosemary Rowe's Libertus books ([url:3g16esjq]http://www.raitken.wyenet.co.uk/whodun.htm[/url]).

There's a new mystery series in the offing by Ruth Downie ([url:3g16esjq]http://www.bookinformation.co.uk/books.php4?action=2&authoid=3340[/url]), which I can't find too much about, except that I've heard about it via the Historical Novel Society ([url:3g16esjq]http://www.historicalnovelsociety.org/[/url])

PS All the best people come from St Albans :wink:
Hello Folks

Spedius and Viventius wrote:

Quote:Have you read the American General Lew Wallace's "Ben Hur" first published in 1880? I have a 1959 Pan Giant copy with a picture of Charlton Heston on the cover.

Quote:How many times have you seen Ben Hur, the movie? I wonder if a modern remake is in the pipe line?

Quote:I'm always game to watch Ben Hur, and particularly the bit where the roof tiles fall off.

Quote:Do you know that, although I have both books on my shelves, I still haven't read them.

Spedius I think I have the same version as you and like you I have never read it. I tried once years ago but found it a very difficult book to get into. Of course I much prefer the movies, have you ever seen the first silent version? Forget the model ships they had full size versions. In one scene showing the fleet heading toward the camera they look like Dreadnoughts!

I have watched the later version many times and never tire of seeing it, a superb film and screenplay by Christopher Fry. It is often on in the background when I am working on my paintings. I like the attention to detail were even the incidental characters do things, not just standing around like dummies, for instance the spectator who collects Messala's helmet as a souvenir or the admiring slave at Arrius' triumph who does not hold the cushion bearing the baton close enough to Tiberius.

I am not sure there will be a remake for years to come although a cartoon version was released not too long ago with the voice of Charlton Heston.

Back to the book front I can add three others: 'The Roman' by Mika Waltari, 'The Word and the Sword' by Theo Lang and The Thorn of Arimathea, By Frank G. Slaughter. All of them are in the tradition of 'The Robe' another favorite Book/Movie of mine.

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Quote:a remake for years
Nooooooo...... runs away in fear of galley slaves :?
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
And if we're talking biblical roman novels, let's not forget Henryk Senkiewicz's Quo Vadis, which is definitely spectacular. For those also reading in German, I also loved Lion Feuchtwanger's Flavius Josephus trilogy (I don't know if it has been translated into English). I also recently read "The Tribune" by Patrick Larking, which was entertaining, while trashy. It's about a Roman tribune chasing zealots in Judea and running into Jesus along the way (think "The Robe"). Of course, he gets converted in the process and there is a bit of a surprise at the end.
I also ran into this a while ago, which might come into handy:
[url:3mn7isjq]http://loki.stockton.edu/~roman/fiction/[/url]
Aka
Christoph
Ave

Thank you all for your most welcome contributions.

Viventius, a great set of links, I checked each one of them. You've brought to my attention some new authors previously unknown to me, thank you. Do you know of any more?

Graham, I havn't seen the old silent version of Ben Hur, was it good? How about "Demetrius and the Gladiators", the sequel to "The Robe"? Does that also feature in your list of favourite films? I have both on video.

Apart from your wonderful pictures, have you also painted model soldiers like Jasper, who does it so well?

Jasper, I think I would run away too rather than be a galley slave.

Christoph, another very useful link. I havn't read "Quo Vadis" although I have it too. Are the Lion Feuchtwanger's Flavius Josephus trilogy good, it's a pity they havn't been translated into English.

The books that I would like to bring to your attention today are all by Lawrence Sprague de Camp, and they are:

An Elephant For Aristotle - Curtis Books - 1958
The Arrows of Hercules - Curtis Books - 1965
The Bronze God Of Rhodes - Bantam Books - 1968
The Golden Wind - Curtis Books - 1969
Lest Darkness Falls - Sphere Books - 1979

Happy hunting and reading.

Vale

M. Spedius Corbulo
~~~~~~Jim Poulton~~~~~~