Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Legate\'s Daughter by Wallace Breem
As to the Euro DVD version of FOTRE, I was referring to the German version, which is an official DVD, so no problems as to quality etc. The original English version is on it as well (in the German version, the added scenes are in English with German subtitles). Still haven't found a link to that Polish Quo Vadis site, but will continue looking.
Aka
Christoph
Ok, here is one link:
Quote:http://www.polishfilm.ca/skok/dvds/group...vadis.html

I think this is the guy I ordered it from in Canada. I remember it took forever to be delivered, but he apologized and said he had been out of stock and had to wait to get more copies from Poland, so in the end I got it just fine.
Aka
Christoph
Quote:Charlton Heston was considered for the Role of Livius by the Producer Samuel Bronston who had made 'El Cid'.

Yeah, he was usually pretty smart when it came to choosing his roles. I don't think Stephen Boyd was ever again a leading man after FOTRE.
It's so difficult for me to believe Anthony Mann directed El Cid, a great film, IMO.

Quote:As to the Euro DVD version of FOTRE, I was referring to the German version, which is an official DVD, so no problems as to quality etc

Really ? In that case I think I'll order it. Poor quality was my only qualm about buying non-official releases. Thanks Big Grin

If I want to continue watching after Marcus dies, I must hit the "mute" button :lol: For me, the rest of the movie is reduced to being eye-candy :roll:

Quote:Ok, here is one link:
Quote:
http://www.polishfilm.ca/skok/dvds/grou ... vadis.html

Hey, thanks again, Niedal !
Jaime
Quote:It's so difficult for me to believe Anthony Mann directed El Cid, a great film, IMO.

Really? In my opinion, Anthony Mann was a great director. His westerns are great, and the part of "Spartacus" he shot before Stanley Kubrick got involved is almost my favorite part of the movie, the gladiator school, the escape from it etc.
Apart from that, I think the producer, Samual Bronston, had probably as much to do with how King of Kings, El Cid, FOTRE and 55 Days in Peking (the other epics he produced) turned out as the individual directors, good or bad.
Aka
Christoph
One more note on epic film books:
Apart from the ones already mentioned, I also have "Epic! History on the Big Screen" by Baid Searles (nice, big coffee table type book, great pictures, but not only ancient, also newer history) . I also have one more that hasn't been mentioned, I think, "The Hollywood Epic" by Foster Hirsch. By the way, there is a new edition of Jon Solomon's book out (check Amazon), I think it was released two years ago. Not a total rewrite, but some things are changed and it includes newer movies such as "Gladiator". And it's paperback, so it's a lot cheaper than the original hard cover volume (although that one is still one of my all-time favorite books, a feeling from when I was a kid and got it for Christmas).
Aka
Christoph
Hello Niedel

Thanks for the information about a new Solomon edition I shall look out for that.

Reading the relevant chapter in Heston's book about the FOTRE it seems that it was concieved even before EL Cid was completed. After the success of Ben-Hur it was assumed that El-Cid was also going to be a success. So what Bronston was after with FOTRE was in Hestons words 'El-Hur'or 'Ben-Cid'! Of course Heston immediatly spotted the FOTRE's fatal flaw the lack of the strong lead character.

By the way if anyone has seen the new Tetley's beer commercial here in the UK you will see all the legionary gear from 'Gladiator'! I am surprised that Tarbicus has not mentioned it!

Graham.
"Is all that we see or seem but a dream within a dream" Edgar Allan Poe.

"Every brush-stroke is torn from my body" The Rebel, Tony Hancock.

"..I sweated in that damn dirty armor....TWENTY YEARS!', Charlton Heston, The Warlord.
Ave all,

We seem to have moved very slightly off-topic, not that I am complaining.

Here are some more books for you to salivate over.

Amongst the many books written by Alfred Duggan, I have six with Roman themes.

Founding Fathers - New English Library - 1973 - Cover by W. Francis Phillipps - ISBN 450-01795-8
He Died Old - New English Library - 1976 - Cover by W. Francis Phillipps - ISBN 450-02970-0
Winter Quarters - New English Library - 1974 - Cover by W. Francis Phillipps - ISBN 450-01775-3
Three's Company - New English Library - 1974 - Cover by W. Francis Phillipps - ISBN 450-02012-6
Family Favourites - New English Library - 1975 - Cover by W. Francis Phillipps - ISBN 450-02129-7
The Little Emperors - New English Library - 1974 - Cover by W. Francis Phillipps - ISBN 450-01962-4

From the back covers:-

"Alfred Duggan's story of the reign of King Romulus, always keeping the details of the ancient legend in view, conveys an extraordinary sense of the realities of life in the eighth century B.C."

"The story of Mithradates, King of Pontus in the first century BC, is both exraordinary and unique. Amid numerous family murders, Mithradates secured power and wealth for himself and his country. At 20 he was a ruthless tyrant, at 40 a libertine and by the age of 68 he was a daring leader and a disciplined and heroic warrior."

"Winter Quarters is the stirring account of Camul and Acco, two young Gallic noblemen living at the time of Julius Caesar. Roman power and influence were at their height and the Roman army which both created and reflected this power was like a magnet to young men seeking travel and constant excitement."

"The best of Alfred Duggan's books about Rome, and one of the best of all his novels, Three's Company tells the story of the Triumvirate from the point of view of Lepidus, a solid convincing human being in whom every candid reader will recognise something of himself. He sometimes commands respect, more often merits our contempt, but never, entirely, forfeits our sympathy."

"This is the story of Elagabalus, named after the Syrian sun god and sky-stone. At thirteen years he led his army victoriously against the might of the Emperor of Rome. He was a god-like young man indeed; strong, beautiful, charming, and beloved of his soldiers. Once established as Emperor though, his family sought to influence him, but he rejected them, and they, like the Senate, became his deadly enemies."

"The Little Emperors is celebrated among those who know Alfred Duggan's novels well. It covers a fascinating subject - the little Emperors, or little Caesars, of the title are those leaders who were proclaimed in Britain whilst the barbarians overflowed into Gaul, and this island was isolated from the centre of the Empire, Rome."

I have one last book to add to the list. "Founding Fathers" was published in America under the title "Children of the Wolf" by Ace Star Books, K-118.

Happy hunting and reading.

Vale

M. Spedius Corbulo
[Image: spedius-mcmxliii.gif]
~~~~~~Jim Poulton~~~~~~
North London Wargames Group