Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Roman Infantry Battle" by Ross Cowan, anyone!
Salve!

Have anyone read this book or even have it? It is mysterious to me, perhaps it is an expanded version of the author´s Osprey Warrior series?

Regard`s
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Oxbow says it's not published yet, but since its ISBN number has a different prefix than Osprey, it has to be something else. Ross?
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
'The Roman Infantry Battle' will be on hold for quite some time. The original concept was flawed. However, in April/May I'll start work on the artist's references for 'Roman Battle Tactics, 109 BC - AD 313' (Osprey Elite series).

I'm finishing up 'Roman Warriors' for Greenhill just now. This takes in my favourite themes of Roman duellists, head-hunters and demented centurions (cf. my article 'Head-Hunters and Drinkers of Blood', Mil. Illus. 203 (April 2005), 32-39). I’m not sure when the book will be published, perhaps.

R!
Quote:I’m not sure when the book will be published, perhaps....

Clicked submit too soon! I presume publication will be the end of 2006 or early 2007.
Quote:This takes in my favourite themes of Roman duellists, head-hunters and demented centurions (cf. my article 'Head-Hunters and Drinkers of Blood', Mil. Illus. 203 (April 2005), 32-39). I’m not sure when the book will be published, perhaps.

An expanded version of that article! Fantastic! Big Grin Looking forward to it.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Ross

I have read that in Procopius mentioned that Belisarius had been disgusted at certain Barbarian elements scalping their foes.

Did your demented Centurians ever get involved ?
Conal Moran

Do or do not, there is no try!
Yoda
Quote:An expanded version of that article! Fantastic! Big Grin Looking forward to it.

You can expect quite a bit more about Cn. Petreius, Catilina’s last stand at Pistoria etc., as well as chapters on the Pyrrhic War, devotio, single combat, the legio Martia, centurion poets and heroes of the 3rd cent. AD.

Cheers,

R!
Quote:Ross

I have read that in Procopius mentioned that Belisarius had been disgusted at certain Barbarian elements scalping their foes.

Did your demented Centurians ever get involved ?

Orosius (5.16) claims that Roman soldiers scalped some Cimbric women defending the wagon circle at the battle of Vercellae (101 BC).

R!
OUCH !

I suppose it would be going too far to assume that some legionaries had blond & ginger crests on their helmets ? :wink:
Conal Moran

Do or do not, there is no try!
Yoda
Shame on you, Conal :wink: !

Anyway I have read from somewhere that greek and roman upper class women preferred the blonde hair of the northern barbarians and they used the to make some kind of wigs of their slaves hairs...

Is there any connection?
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Cowan Thesis Theo 3 1,886 11-07-2010, 07:37 PM
Last Post: Theo
  Ross Cowan\'s Roman Battle Tactics 109 BC - AD 313. Robert Vermaat 7 2,817 08-09-2007, 08:34 AM
Last Post: Robert Vermaat
  UK tonight on TV:- "Revealed: Boudicca\'s Treasures&quot Tarbicus 9 3,918 11-30-2005, 01:11 PM
Last Post: Tarbicus