Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Age of Pericles Greek Missile units
I am a Victor Hanson disciple, but I have some of my own thoughts on the time from experience with Xenophon Thucidydes and the like. I see a certain issue come up on another forum a lot, but kinda feel like some of the information there is not supported well by citation or even fact. I think their general argument is that if you take Hanson and the like at face value, you would have to assume that units like Peltasts, archers and such were not a majot part of Hoplite warfare in the age of Pericles, and even as far back at what we consider the classical hoplite age. Their argument is that Hanson, and in a larger part Thucidydes and Xenophon are not accurate in their beliefs because of a kind of noble snobbery. Basically that hoplites looked down upon the lower classes and the skirmisher groups, and thus don't offer credit to them in the texts. I tend to be skeptical of this view, however, there is plenty of vase and art representations of skirmishers. But I was wondering if anyone here had some good information one way or the other about the true role of skirmishers in Hoplite battles and tactics beyond the three main authors above.

Thanks
Mike Arledge

"fortis fortuna audiuvat"
Mike
Bronze Age Greek Armies were combines arms forces and included slingers and archers. The deterioration of Geometric Era brought the horseman and his onnent the spearman as basic combat factors.
You possibly have a point that the missle troops are underreperesnted for some good reason by their contemoeries but as Persian found the hard way the hoplites could dominate the battlefield.
Missilemen came from the poorer districts of Greece and usually were hired for the campaign period. Only Cretans intergrated missle troops in their armies. If you combine the info that we have on Linothorax thread you will see that hoplites were well protected. Missile troops were good as support against cavalry (Platea) and to chase of lightly armed raiders.
The objective of ancient Greek warfare frawned upon the long querilla warfare so missle men still stayed in support roles because they could only defend rugged terrain agianst formed hoplites and rugged terrain is not as rich as the plain. You want fertile flatlands-you need spearmen and cavalry.
Kind regards
Stefanos,

I pretty much agree with what you said. That is how I always understood the role on skirmishers. Thanks. I was more asking for anyone who shared a different view, since it has come up on other forums.

Mike
Mike Arledge

"fortis fortuna audiuvat"

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Wine cup used by Pericles found north of Athens Ildar 11 3,375 08-12-2014, 02:17 PM
Last Post: Idomeneas