Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ancient Greek Festival: Re-creating scenes in pottery!
As I mentioned in an earlier thread, I am in the process of making a paper on Warrior Departure scenes in red-figure Attic pottery. It turned out that I will be able to attend the Festival, after all, and this would also enable me to present it in front of you - the Participants - and the Public.

In a mail, Paul Allen (aka our Host and Thespian Hoplite) came up with the idea (an idea that I'm fond of), that we could re-create the scenes and film / photograph them, and thus bring back an important domestic occurence of ancient Greece to life! The shots and / or movies would then be used in conjunction with the 'boring' overhead / PowerPoint means in my presentation, and whatnot...

I have created a gallery - which at this point is incomplete but to be updated as I get around to doing it - featuring over twenty of the vases I have been looking at.
It is available here.

If you would like to be part of the project, there are two options:

If you want to contribute to the project indirectly, you may want to lend equipment for the duration of the project (approx. half a day). The Thracian helmet is manifest in a number of the scenes, and if any of you happen to have one we would love to hear from you, as this is a rare item in re-enactment circles, as far as I know.

If you want to assume a role (the Hoplite, wife, mother, father / old man, the Hoplite's comrade-in-arms) in the scenes, simply pick a pot to pose for, and make sure you have the right equipment - if you lack a few items someone may be able to lend you some stuff.

Actually, your dogs can be stars for a day, too. Smile

Paul will hopefully drop by the thread and give further instructions and details later today.

Edit: For those of you who are unaware of the Festival, you may want to check out the official festival site here: http://www.webspawner.com/users/ancientgreekfestiva/index.html.
[size=75:wtt9v943]Susanne Arvidsson

I have not spent months gathering Hoplites from the four corners of the earth just to let
some Swedish pancake in a purloined panoply lop their lower limbs off!
- Paul Allen, Thespian
[/size]

[Image: partofE448.jpg]
Hi, all,

I don't think I need to add anything to what Susanne has said. I think it will be a worthwhile project. Oh, if you participate, I can probably get someone to paint the picture from the photograph, so you can have a painting of yourself in period kit.

I'm not sure we'll be able to get all the shield blazons right. I seem to remember that you can get transparent sheet plastic which will adhere temporarily to things like leather. If I could get hold of some of that, and paint blazons on it, we could use one blank shield with interchangeable blazons. Does anybody know where I might get such plastic sheet?
Greetings,
well, I am a mature woman with long brown hair .....although I assume the mother is usually the one with the hair covered.....as in J382,
I rather like 46942, any excuse to hold a shield :roll: " although the dress style is not entirely clear...Chiton? I don't have Hoplite equipment though....or a fringe, just hair about the right length...the women looks rather younger though.
G538 looks a little more like me....
regards
Arthes
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
If you know Italian you may want to look it up in Beazley Archive and read the scholar's interpretation of the vase. Smile

Paul, according to your poll there are 5 people who are interested in doing this. You should try to get them to post here, in this very thread. Big Grin

I have not spent months gathering Hoplites from the four corners of the earth just to let
- Paul Allen, Thespian
[/size]

You're right, the polls are very clumsy instruments!
I'm still working out the programme - the one on the site is a provisional outline, just designed to give a general idea. We will have some things happening simultaneously - like the Olympic Events going on alongside some of the others.
May I have a go at the javelin hurling? Big Grin

- Paul Allen, Thespian
[/size]

Susanne! Confusedhock: You're a GIRL!! :evil:

Of course you can.

In my Saxon group we have two mottoes:

"Why watch the Soaps, when you can live the sagas?"

and

"If the girls wanna fight, you better let 'em."
Quote:Susanne! Confusedhock: You're a GIRL!! :evil:

I saw that one coming... *giggles* :twisted:

Quote: Of course you can.

In my Saxon group we have two mottoes:

"Why watch the Soaps, when you can live the sagas?"

and

"If the girls wanna fight, you better let 'em."

Big Grin

- Paul Allen, Thespian
[/size]

I will also bring my digital camera and my laptop, and record the whole Festival;

[Image: tablet.jpg]

(Note: the man working on it in the image is my slave.)

- Paul Allen, Thespian
[/size]

Quote:http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y199/Co...throwa.gif[/img] Dexa!...and Dexa! :twisted:

Oh, I didn't realise you two were previously acquainted...

That peltast animation is ACE, Gioi! Would-be peltastoi (and carnaffordabe Hoplites ) take note!
Who is 'Sussane'? Smile

- Paul Allen, Thespian
[/size]

Whta's a liltte dylsexia bewteen freinds? :lol:
Quote:
Susanne:3t0drg7y Wrote:I will also bring my digital camera and my laptop, and record the whole Festival;

[Image: tablet.jpg]

(Note: the man working on it in the image is my slave.)

it does look like a laptop to me, the thing of the sitting man has! :lol:
The things that archaeologists are digging up lately, I would not be at all surprised to find it is a laptop......run on batteries and he is using a graphics pen...! :lol:
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
And here comes the inevitable response to Paul's post:

Quote:Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.

Smile

No, me and Gioi don't know each other in person... yet. Smile

Quote:The things that archaeologists are digging up lately, I would not be at all surprised to find it is a laptop......run on batteries and he is using a graphics pen...!

There's also this relief, one element in which bears a close resemblance to a photocopier! I'm trying to find an image off it, in vain.

- Paul Allen, Thespian
[/size]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ancient Music Festival Susanna 2 1,321 08-25-2007, 06:13 AM
Last Post: Susanna
  International Ancient Greek Festival 2007/2008 Anonymous 46 12,509 08-18-2007, 07:38 PM
Last Post: hoplite14gr
  Ancient Greek Festival Anonymous 17 4,304 08-09-2006, 12:31 PM
Last Post: hoplite14gr