Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Changing message board software
Maybe this has been covered before, but I'm wondering if anyone has looked into using some free software to host the message boards ourselves? I've been seeing a lot of other boards switching lately. You'd get lots of room for image hosting, no popups, and not have to pay their fees. Search would be a lot better and you wouldn't have to worry about old articles getting removed. <p></p><i></i>
Yup. And who's paying for the traffic and hosting? That could add up impressively with a busy board like this one. <p>Greets<br>
<br>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
I figured someone who already had a site could attach it to it. My site usually has about 10 gigs of bandwith left over at the end of a normal month, there must be someone else out there, too. I don't know how many page views, but figuring about 3000 page views a day @ 50K for threads with a dozen or so replies would be about 5 gigs of bandwidth a month. <p></p><i></i>
Hmm, I'm not sure how much we have left over at RA.com. The number of visitors is definitely on the rise and the site is pretty picture heavy. And the Ezboard adress is pretty well known by now. I think we talked about this before, but I don't remember what Jenny decided on. <p>Greets<br>
<br>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Neither Jasper, Rich, nor myself has the time and/or interest in migrating RAT from Ezboard to a YaBB-type of board.<br>
<br>
I looked into YaBB before I founded RAT at Ezboard, and decided it wasn't worth the head-banging and self-mutilation that would have occured during my efforts to set it up!<br>
<br>
And as Jasper notes, bandwidth is expensive, and adds up fast when you're hot.<br>
<br>
So, at least for now, no RAT migration is envisioned.<br>
<br>
Cheers<br>
Jenny <p></p><i></i>
Cheers,
Jenny
Founder, Roman Army Talk and RomanArmy.com

We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.
-- Robert Louis Stevenson
Pfew<br>
<br>
<p>Greets<br>
<br>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Note also that it bring you more work later. If there's an update which you wants to ad, you must do it yourself and that's taking your weekend. Now Ezboard is doiing that for you.<br>
<br>
But I see your point and it is more add-free, but the host of an board like this is very expensive. I don't know the statistics of this board, but I think you must recognize that would be over 500 USD a year.<br>
<br>
(Know I'm not a RAT Mod, just a webkid an Roman interesting person who want to support this treat.<br>
<br>
Jvrjenivs <p></p><i></i>
ALA I BATAVORUM