net man
take a look at the ankle ;

http://www.mfa.org/collections/search_a ... ll_start=1
Conal Moran

Do or do not, there is no try!
Yoda
Quote:take a look at the ankle ;

Hi Conal,

not sure what you mean, but he is wearing some sort of "shoeupper" (for lack of a better word and without a sole as it seems). Not that uncommon I think, Junkelmann also mentions that and has some pics of a reconstructed similar item in his book Das Spiel mit dem Tod.
The one in the picture is a little different though and looks as though it were decorated more
Martin

I need to revisit my books on this as I dont recall seeing anything quite like that.

If I recall correctly Junklemans "gater" as reconstructed in Das Spiel is based on a copy of a frieze from Pompeii (?) and is calf length leather and lace up. This one seems like a pull on and I got the impression that it may be mail ???

What do you think ?
Conal Moran

Yoda
Quote:If I recall correctly Junklemans "gater" as reconstructed in Das Spiel is based on a copy of a frieze from Pompeii (?) and is calf length leather and lace up. This one seems like a pull on and I got the impression that it may be mail ???

Yes, it definitely another style, covering maybe only 60% of what Junkelmann's reconstrucction does. I wouldn't have thought of mail when seeing it though. What sense would it make, the retiarius wants to be light and unencumbered and the protective value of that bit of mail would be minimal, no? For my part I always thought of it only as a means of securing the ankle and as that it works well in my personal experience. Well, I might be wrong there, of course :-) )
It does not seem to provide any useful protective purpose I agree but decoratively it sets off the mail manica dont you think ? Very vain these Gladiators :roll:

Seroiusly though do you think a strap under the foot was used ?
Conal Moran

Yoda
Mail or not - from the picture I cannot say yes or no I'm afraid. Would be interesting to see it close up ...

Quote:Seroiusly though do you think a strap under the foot was used ?

IMHO it depends on the height - if high enough the growing circumference of the leg prevents it from sliding upwards (at least that's my eyperience with Marcus' reconstructions), but with a low one it might be a good idea to have such a strap. Good thought!