Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
High crests
I like the high-crested Corinthian-style helmets like the one on Gioi's Black-Cloak Thespian. Can anyone tell me whether they would still have been in use in 480 BC, please? I note the Boeotian shield (with two scallops) is okay, according to Stefanos. I'm beginning to toy with theidea of re-creating the Melanochitonos.
High crests appear frequently on the Temple aetoms showing Ares the god of war (Delphi). Many times in potery depictions they are asociated with important persomalities of the Legend so they ar probably rank distinctions in my opinion. The black clad Thespian might very well be fileleader (stichiarchos).
The survivng helmet example in Olympia is beteen 6th and 5th sentury.
So go for it!
Kind regards
Thanks, Stefanos,

I do believe I will go for it!
If you happen to actually be successful in making / obtaining one, please DO bring it to the Festival! :twisted:
[size=75:wtt9v943]Susanne Arvidsson

I have not spent months gathering Hoplites from the four corners of the earth just to let
some Swedish pancake in a purloined panoply lop their lower limbs off!
- Paul Allen, Thespian
[/size]

[Image: partofE448.jpg]
Dear Susanne,

Can it be that you believe - even for a moment - that I could possess such a thing and NOT flaunt it? Confusedhock:
Quote:
Susanne:3gx0h7m0 Wrote:If you happen to actually be successful in making / obtaining one, please DO bring it to the Festival! :twisted:

You really want to see a funny man all swet, tired, trying to win the armor race, but falling simayed at the floor!!!....and yalling!: ...Water!...Water!... he!? :twisted:

It worked in Poland...Although I was bleeding and yelling "Herbata"![/img]
Quote:Dear Susanne,

Can it be that you believe - even for a moment - that I could possess such a thing and NOT flaunt it? Confusedhock:

No. Of course not. Big Grin

It is rather a (readSmile bidding.
[size=75:wtt9v943]Susanne Arvidsson

I have not spent months gathering Hoplites from the four corners of the earth just to let
some Swedish pancake in a purloined panoply lop their lower limbs off!
- Paul Allen, Thespian
[/size]

[Image: partofE448.jpg]
Quote:I like the high-crested Corinthian-style helmets like the one on Gioi's Black-Cloak Thespian. I note the Boeotian shield (with two scallops) is okay, according to Stefanos. I'm beginning to toy with theidea of re-creating the Melanochitonos.

Upon reflection of Hoplite14gr's posts to the Pre-Persian thread, and Gioi's pic posted above, I am starting to come to the same conclusion. I hope you don't think I am a fashion thief... Except for the crest. While the high crest is, to me, more aesthetically pleasing, I already have a regular style black crest.

I ran a search on the Melanochitonos and found almost nothing, except they were Thespian and wore black. Who has some more information.

Ralph Izard
Gioi, where did you find that first tinned helmet?
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan
Ralf, I have the book and the Melanochiton (Black tunic) is artistic impression. Iron grieves existed in the Helenistic perios but they are amatter od speculation for classical period. Black cloacks were availble to Greeks but there is no evidence of the whole of the Thrspian Army to be clad in black.
Dressed in black is a matter of personal preference.
The only hoplite army with almost 80 % uniformity was the Spartan Army.
Hope I helped.
Kind regards
So I got the last back crest Albion had and then the last red and white one, at the same time I got a Corinthian from them. THe Red and white one is still to arrive but the black one will not fit the Corinthian and seems made for Roman helmets. No matter I have those also. But this leaves me with a crestless Corinthian that I got because I had a crest to begin with. Or so I thought.
Solution: Throw a fit and when I get over it, make a &#$%@ crest myself. This will be the tall one as per this thread. I am aware of the bronze bracket frame in Connolly from Olympus. I assume I make a wooden holder for the horse hair that inserts into the bronze frame. I am still curious about attachments. If anyone has suggestions.

BTW, the Corinthin had a tape inside with an S on it, which I assume means small. I have a 22 1/2 to 23 inch head and usually wear a medium. The fit is tight but in the case of the Corinthian this is not a bad thing. I can also wear it pushed back like the Pericles bust with no problem.

Gaius Decius Aquilus.
(Ralph Izard)
Is there evidence that the Greeks ever had crests made from feathers ?

I made my own feathered crest and it wasn't that big of a challenge.
Jaime
Feather decorations appear defintely in the Hellenistic period helmets.
Some pottery from Apulia shows extra feather decoration except the horsehair crest. Feather crests are speculative but not much support them.
Kind regards
Hello,ya'll.
These crests look great.
Am I to assume they can be worn on a
Corinthian helmet as depicted here?

The Thespian warrior in black certainly looks the part.
( I still love that shield,too. Looks easier to make than
standard Hoplite aspis.)
Andy Booker

Gaivs Antonivs Satvrninvs

Andronikos of Athens
Quote:Hello,ya'll.
These crests look great.
Am I to assume they can be worn on a
Corinthian helmet as depicted here?

The Thespian warrior in black certainly looks the part.
( I still love that shield,too. Looks easier to make than
standard Hoplite aspis.)

Yeah? Knock one up for me, while you're at it, will you please? :twisted: